Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2009, 08:18 AM

4,253 posts, read 9,449,299 times

Advertisements

He was gone in 10 minutes. His mother is a RN:

CTV Toronto - Child's death sparks rush for H1N1 flu shot - CTV News, Shows and Sports -- Canadian Television
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2009, 08:28 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
That women kept her son at a hockey tournament weekend with symptoms!

Three days of symptoms. Died on Monday. Packed the family to return home on Sunday morning.

That means that she kept him at the tournament with flu symptoms--sore throat, cough. Her being an RN and all.

It's a sad story. That's true. But people should stay home when they develop flu symptoms.

We can't be sure he was healthy. He might have had an underlying condition.

It's not uncommon for young children to have heart conditions that haven't presented for diagnosis.

Old 10-28-2009, 12:10 PM

2,467 posts, read 4,859,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
That women kept her son at a hockey tournament weekend with symptoms!

Three days of symptoms. Died on Monday. Packed the family to return home on Sunday morning.

That means that she kept him at the tournament with flu symptoms--sore throat, cough. Her being an RN and all.

It's a sad story. That's true. But people should stay home when they develop flu symptoms.

We can't be sure he was healthy. He might have had an underlying condition.

It's not uncommon for young children to have heart conditions that haven't presented for diagnosis.
That is so true about heart conditions not always being presented for diagnosis, at least not right away. My sister has a subtle heart murmer (sp?) and is so subtle that the doctors missed it during regular examinations. It wasn't until she had a good sports physical and had done some strenuous activities during her examination did it finally get noticed, and even then the doctor had to check twice to make sure. I know that not all doctors require strenuous activities for a sports physical. It is possible that her heart murmer would have gone on undetected if she would have gone to a different doctor for her sports physical.

As to the OP. It is very sad that a person so young, who was overall healthy died from this virus. But the mother should have known better to keep him out exerting himself like that instead of being home resting and monitored. Even healthy people can suffer greatly or develop other coinfections if they let their bodies get run down and tired while they are sick.

Old 10-28-2009, 12:31 PM

4,267 posts, read 6,180,716 times
It's very sad that they lost their child but how do they know that it was H1N1? The family never sought medical treatment and he died Monday night. It would be too soon for them to have autopsy results by the time this news story came out(if in fact they decided to have one done). It just seems like their could be something else going on here.

I just read an interesting article from CBS news which showed that the CDC asked states to stop testing for Swine Flu in July and after an investigation CBS discovered that in all likelihood the cases of H1N1 are being overstated.
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2009/...n5404829.shtml

Quote:
In late July, the CDC abruptly advised states to stop testing for H1N1 flu, and stopped counting individual cases.<snip> Some public health officials privately disagreed with the decision to stop testing and counting, telling CBS News that continued tracking of this new and possibly changing virus was important because H1N1 has a different epidemiology, affects younger people more than seasonal flu and has been shown to have a higher case fatality rate than other flu virus strains.
This case was in Canada so maybe they are tracking the virus differently but I still wonder how they could diagnose the boy with H1N1 so soon after his death.

Again, very sorry for the parent's loss. It would be horrible to lose a child.

Last edited by Dorthy; 10-28-2009 at 12:40 PM.. Reason: add info

Old 10-28-2009, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyoquilter View Post
That is so true about heart conditions not always being presented for diagnosis, at least not right away. My sister has a subtle heart murmer (sp?) and is so subtle that the doctors missed it during regular examinations. It wasn't until she had a good sports physical and had done some strenuous activities during her examination did it finally get noticed, and even then the doctor had to check twice to make sure. I know that not all doctors require strenuous activities for a sports physical. It is possible that her heart murmer would have gone on undetected if she would have gone to a different doctor for her sports physical.
My son's heart abnormality would have never been detected in a strenuous examination. We stumbled upon it when he was in the hospital after surgery. They couldn't set the heart monitor low enough for his heart rate----which falls to practically dead when he's sleeping. (I'm totally serious. I always thought he was just difficult to wake up in the mornings!) Meanwhile, you'd never know he has any problem with his heart. He's very active and fit. Ifhe hadn't had a routine surgery, we still wouldn't know about it to this day.

Old 10-28-2009, 12:49 PM

Quote:
But the mother should have known better to keep him out exerting himself like that instead of being home resting and monitored. Even healthy people can suffer greatly or develop other coinfections if they let their bodies get run down and tired while they are sick.
Not to mention----just imagine how many other families he infected at that weekend tournament!

I recall there was another H1N1 death that was the result of continuing to participate in sports while sick. I'll see if I can find the article.

Old 10-28-2009, 12:57 PM

214 posts, read 564,974 times
Quote:

As to the OP. It is very sad that a person so young, who was overall healthy died from this virus. But the mother should have known better to keep him out exerting himself like that instead of being home resting and monitored. Even healthy people can suffer greatly or develop other coinfections if they let their bodies get run down and tired while they are sick.
Exactly. I do not think people understand why it is so important to rest when sick. The body is under great stress when fighting infections. And then you calculate into the equation that most people's diets are not balanced. . .then one can see how the body/heart does not have a chance to keep up with the added physical demands.

Old 10-28-2009, 01:04 PM

467 posts, read 777,689 times
Does the bath have anything to do with it? How does a drop in blood pressure affect you when you're sick? Heartbreaking story.

Old 10-28-2009, 01:29 PM

I'm sure dehydration played a huge role in this. He was probably already dehydrated from participating in the tournament while sick. Add a fever and any vomiting and diarrhea on to already being dehydrated and sudden death is very possible. But a hot bath can be dangerous for anyone with an unhealthy heart. I'm sure it's even dangerous for someone who is already dehydrated.

Old 10-28-2009, 01:29 PM

214 posts, read 564,974 times
Default Yes there could be

Quote:
Originally Posted by cedew View Post
Does the bath have anything to do with it? How does a drop in blood pressure affect you when you're sick? Heartbreaking story.
Physical exercise and elevations in environmental temperatures (ex. hot shower) can affect the immune system. There are studies that have shown the effects of these types of stimuli on the SNS (sympathetic nervous system) and HPA (hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal axis). Theeffects of the immunological stressors are directly related to intensity and duration.

If you are interested in more details do a search on Google Scholar
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting