Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-30-2009, 11:55 AM

1,122 posts, read 2,316,253 times

Advertisements

So any pranks or jokes done on anyone yet? Our kids find trick or treating boring and want us to terrify them. Last year, even our two year old son laughed at the chainsaw in the woods.

Here is one we did already on a friend. Ok, its was nor purposely halloween related but I suppose it is close enough.

So a friend just moved in his new home with his family. The first night was going to be a little chilly so he heads to the basement to turn on the furnace. It wouldn't turn on. He calls a repair man who will come out for $150 an hour that night or the next day for $75 an hour. The friend decides that he will wait and what a way to spend the first night...with the fireplace glowing. After it was going well, his wife approaches him and asks him if he saw the bat skeleton on the logs in the fire. The hair went up on the back of his neck. He HATES bats. He was hoping that the only one was in nesting in the chimney. But as the house warms up, he hears them flying around in the attic. He goes to bed that night upstairs with the bats flying right above him.

The next day when DH sees him, he's a wreck since he didn't sleep the night before. DH picks on him for being so scared but then offers to help him. He calls me to see if I know anything about how to get rid of them and to search online. I was quick to ask him if he had ever heard of boat/fishing sonar. He's like, "Yeah....?" "Tell him to use one of those because it confuses them and makes them leave." DH just laughs at me and says he'll never believe but I insist he tell him.

"Yeah, you know those boat sonar things?" "Yeah." "I guess you just get one of those because it drives them crazy." Ok, DH is waiting for the glare...but his face just washes to relief. "How do I get one of those?" DH: "Well you gotta.." and then he bursts out laughing at his helpless hopeful look, "I'm sorry man, I can't keep it going." He HATES us!

-----
So most of you know our kids are advanced. With that comes the higher thrill seeking gene and they WANT to be scaried. Trick or treating is for babies...they want to be terrified. The problem is, the won't fall for ANYTHING on Halloween or the week preceeding it. We've got to step it up. Last year the chainsaw thing was fun but not scary and they are begging to be scaried.

It depends on the weather, it's been raining, but here is my plan. I am planning a ghoulish dinner and will have to leave to get some of the ingrediants. When I am gone, I will call DH and he will put it on speaker phone, which he does often. Then I will make up some story about being stranded or having to take some detour because of a big accident and getting stuck in the woods and he has to come get me then suddenly scream and cut the phone off. Then he'll rush to get the kids ready and speed out of the driveway to come get me but end up at a local haunted maze...all the while I am home preparing my ghoulish meal and whatever other terrors I can think up to scare them with right when they get back. I'm thinking now...we've got a mile before our house on our road and he can try to call me and "not get a hold of me" but really give me a 10 minute head up with the ringing to run out and be something creepy running across the road in front of them a half mile away so they can't get a good look at me.

I doubt they'll be scared because they expect something already, and have been anticipating it for a month, but I hope they'll appreciate the effort.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2009, 12:07 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,030,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flik_becky View Post
So most of you know our kids are advanced. With that comes the higher thrill seeking gene and they WANT to be scaried. Trick or treating is for babies...they want to be terrified. The problem is, the won't fall for ANYTHING on Halloween or the week preceeding it. We've got to step it up. Last year the chainsaw thing was fun but not scary and they are begging to be scaried.
Your last name woudn't happen to be Heene, would it?

Any relation?

I just couldn't resist!

Old 10-30-2009, 12:40 PM

141 posts, read 429,365 times
Nice, mine are too young for that still but that sounds good. YOu knoew they will be looking out the windows when they get to where you should be leave a few drops of "blood" around too.... Have fun and tell us if it worked!

LOL Hopes..

Old 10-30-2009, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Your last name woudn't happen to be Heene, would it?

Any relation?

I just couldn't resist!
Too funny! Not even close!

Our kids are very odd. Since they were toddlers, they have shut off the light in their room to play games in the dark and try to scare each other, to no avail, they beg to go play out after dark (and that is why we go them light up shoes and flashlights), and we do a lot things after dark like tons of camping, bonfires, games, ect....though my 3 year old growling in the dark while playing with a tiger flashlight scared my friend's 7 year old boy who cried. They are constantly trying to sneak up on us, jump out at us or set traps to scare us and then tell us it now our turn. We've never rationalized their fears by doing stupid look under the bed and in the closet routines or with nightlightes. We have always been very firm on teaching them that there is nothing to be afraid of, that irrational fears are ridiculous. So I guess it is our fault that they are like this now. While camping this year, they asked that I tell them a scary story...which I kept on making worse and worse just to get at DH. They laughed at him when he said, "You're going to be the one up with them in the middle of the night when they have nightmares," and then added their own ideas which were worse than mine to get at him!

My kids have sophisticated humor and advanced reasoning and rationalizing skills (would never believe in things like santa or the easter bunny or anything I tried to tell them went boo in the night). I never really realized the how much difference until after spending the night with my neices and their friends who were 14-16 one night with their jumpy nerves. My sister and I had a ball but DD never responded to it.

That is an idea though...an alien take over theme...hmmm...or make them watch that episode of wife swap! That should scare them!

Old 10-31-2009, 03:59 PM

3,562 posts, read 5,225,158 times
I hope yoiu have a happy Halloween. I can't wait until my child is old enough to deal with that. Of course, he may not ever be able to handle that. Or he may be able to handle that but would operate to get even. Thus leading me to beat him senseless. Which would then involve cps and possible jail time.

Old 10-31-2009, 07:21 PM

So we tried. I called DH and did the, "My care broke down!" thing and he asked if it was for real or a prank. He really thought it was for real! He had stepped outside for a minute so the kids didn't hear all that. But he believed me even though he knew I was going to do it. It sounded real to him so the kids HAD to believe it. Right?

So he goes back in and I get all frantic and then stop and say,"What the hell is that......I think, holy crap its animal...Ive never seen anything like it!" I answer a couple questions and then say "uh...hun...this is this coming at me! I gotta go and get back the in the ca. HURRY!" DS #2, the 3 year old, get worried about mom. They get to the car and I'm not there. There is a note that I was too creeped out and went to town with a neighbor and they were to meet me at a gas station. DH had insisted that I have fun with them so he voted againt the goulish dinner and came up with this and eating out, which we don't usually do.

I had a black rabbit fur and used that on a remote control truck and made it look like some weird freaky animal and let it in the middle of the road. I ran in hide in the wood but my plan to have it chase DH back to his truck failed as it got stuck on a rock. DS #2 was concerned. Laughter from the other two.

We tried later in the driveway after dark and DS#2 ran to me and screamed but the other two just laughed.

WHATEVER!

Well DD was a head on a platter complete with blackened eyes and a wound on her head with blood running down her cheek and collards arranged around on a platter around her neck and bugs taped to the table. DS #1 was a mummy with blackened eyes, the only visible part of his face and DS #2 was a bumble bee.

The kids didn't want to go trick or treating, the maze was already closed (advertising said it would stay open until 6pm...NOT!) but there was some kid selling pumpkins next door so we went and picked up a few like it was the plan (to save the other plan for next year). We met a friend where he worked who we thought we'd give a laugh. Everywhere we went, eveyone was talking about DD's costume. It was great.

So sad to say, other than DS#2's scream at the end which lasted for about 2 seconds, no response. My plan for next year is to bring DD into it and get her to encourage the fear since the other two follow her cue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting