Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-31-2009, 08:10 AM

23 posts, read 98,303 times

Advertisements

Anyone have useful advice, 18 yr old step son has been using xanax and percasets to get "high", to the point of not being able to stand up. We found the pills and his mother even went to the police. Nothing done as the idiot that sold the pills (bottle found w/name on it), said step son stole it, of course he never reported it, he sold them! Cops unable to do anything with he said/she said.
Mom has thought about putting him in a psychiatric hold, has anyone ever done this. Does anyone know how to actually help.
We believe he has been doing this for a long while, as he angerly told his grandfather "i take them daily and you all just don't know"..... i believe this is probably a true statement, which he denies now. says he straight, but when we saw him yesterday his eyes all messed up, leans to the side when walking and standing. again denies the pills and says he's drunk. Dad at wits end, we do NOT know how to handle this to best suit the 18 yr old. and No he does not live with us or his mother.
Now that we've gone to the cops and nothing was done, i feel he has a "no one can stop me" attitude.
How do I get him help, no such thing as involuntary rehab, unless court ordered (right?)
I have been med certified so I am very aware of how addicting these drugs are, and I have dealt with siblings addictions enough to know THEY HAVE TO REALIZE THEY HAVE A PROBLEM before they can get better.
has anyone been through this, and how did you handle it, what actually helped?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2009, 11:22 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,518,788 times
It sounds to me that you might be dealing with an addictive personality. If he is the kind that will abuse any drug just to get high then you are in a very bad situation. My son who ia a MD ran a methadone clinic in the lower east side of Vancouver BC. His results with people just addicted to a particular drug were quite good. His results with those who were addicted to just getting high were so bad he stopped treating them to try and get them clean but just for the medical side of things. I see that the only hope for this kid is when he hits some sort of crisis and he will it's inevitable. At that time have an intervention already planned where he gets into a residential treatment program and does the time clean and sober. My prayers are with you and this boy. It's a terrible bondage to be under.

Old 11-01-2009, 03:32 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,421,472 times
I know a couple from work who ended up having their underaged son arrested because he was stealing things from them for his drug problems, the son got locked up and then placed in some work program and had to live in another town away from his friends and he's doing fine now. Apparently being locked up gave him a chance to become sober and drug free long enough to find himself.

Old 11-01-2009, 05:32 AM

4,502 posts, read 13,428,313 times
A psych ward or drug program isn't going to help him unless HE truly wants to be helped.

Old 11-01-2009, 06:44 PM

43,854 posts, read 50,862,909 times
Oh my gosh....
This site looks to have lots of resources you could go over with your husband:
Drugs, Alcohol, and Your Kid | AboutOurKids.org

At only 18, this can be addressed properly and corrected before the kid ends up in jail or worse. I would get professional help right away. Sure, he may not be ready to receive it....but they can give you help as to how you can respond properly so he does become ready to get help.

Good luck to all of you. I sure hope you get the help and answers you need.

Old 11-02-2009, 09:43 AM

23 posts, read 98,303 times
Thanks for the prayers and the link, I've been reading as much as possible, but unfortunetly it looks like our hands are tied until something happens like lucknow said. I have dealt with my own siblings addiction and know they have to hit bottom 1st and realize they have a problem. I had to have my brother arrested for stealing, his choice was jail or rehab, he choose rehab. as hard as it was for us (mom especially) I believe it was the BEST thing i could have done for him. (with a little help from god...... he stole a bunch of jewlery, 1 piece being my sons blessed cross..... the ONLY thing we found proof that he sold, a reciept with his signature from where he sold the cross)
I just wish there was a way for us to make him see how he is and that he needs help, before he hurts himself or somebody else and ruins his life.
I also believe he goes to the ER for what ever he can trump up and get a shot or pills, in the last 6 months there have been 3 er trips of which he gets pills, either for a toothache or backache, but he scores. How do we stop this?

Old 11-02-2009, 09:57 AM

8,568 posts, read 18,027,229 times
Who is paying for his er trips? I'll bet he is still on your family insurance plan. There are a couple of ways to help force this issue, but it will very definitely impact his credit. One way is to drop him from the family insurance plan. You might also consider informing the hospital that your son has a drug dependency problem and request they no longer permit him to be prescribed psychotropic drugs. They CAN put a note in his hospital records.

However, your son is 18 - he's an adult. The hospital might refuse to accept any information from you at this point, HIPPA concerns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting