Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2009, 11:46 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,072,850 times

Advertisements

I love seeing the little kids and handing out candy. But this year the price of candy seems SO high for so little. Everywhere I went, people were complaining about how much it costs and how little they are going to give out.

An elderly man was pondering his candy purchase at CVS for about 20 minutes. He mentioned to me he's only giving out one piece each.

Did you buy less candy this year and what type due to the recession or your own reduced funds? I can't imagine having enough money to give out all chocolate. We bought a bunch of different kinds (chocolate and non).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2009, 11:48 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,458,432 times
I was just at Walmart - I thought candy seemed more expensive this year also....

Old 10-31-2009, 12:11 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
It's a once-a-year activity and I only buy 2-3 bags, enough to give to those who ring the bell and have some for myself . If the price is a bit higher it's not something I'm going to complain about. $5 over the course of the year isn't worth me worrying about. And what is wrong with "only" giving one piece to each kid? That's enough.

Old 10-31-2009, 12:45 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,351,543 times
Yeah it is more expensive lately. Like everything else besides most parents will LOVE you for only giving their kid just one piece of candy!

Old 10-31-2009, 01:13 PM

I don't think there is anything wrong with one piece of candy! I think the man felt he was being cheap. I feel that it is voluntary and anything you give should be taken with a thank you!

It does appear that Halloween is becoming another day to 'rip off' the consumers.

What I hate is these kids who (if you put a bowl outside) take the whole damn thing! My neighbor bragged about her kids doing this last year! I told her that is really wrong.

Old 10-31-2009, 01:14 PM

3,562 posts, read 5,226,922 times
Normally, I buy bags of candy to take to work. I am not doing it this year. I bought two bags of candy for my son's Halloween party. It was the cheapo pixie sticks and blow pops. They aren't getting my money this year. I hope the majority of the candy sits on the shelves.

Old 10-31-2009, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandamonium View Post
Normally, I buy bags of candy to take to work. I am not doing it this year. I bought two bags of candy for my son's Halloween party. It was the cheapo pixie sticks and blow pops. They aren't getting my money this year. I hope the majority of the candy sits on the shelves.
Yeah, we did a mix. Got sweettarts and dum dum lollypops at Walmart. At CVS we got some mini M & M bags, Snickers and pretzels in individual bags. We get A LOT of kids since we are in a complex, but at certain time we are just stopping opening the door. I love handing out to the little ones but those goofy teens who just stand there with a pillow case and make no effort, well... Last year we got an ADULT trick or treating with his kids...he had a bag for himself... I mean, come on!

There was quite a jam up in the candy aisle today at SuperWalmart. People were definitely weighing their candy purchases.

Anyhow, it's all in fun and everyone have a great Halloween!!

Old 10-31-2009, 01:27 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,135,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
I love seeing the little kids and handing out candy. But this year the price of candy seems SO high for so little. Everywhere I went, people were complaining about how much it costs and how little they are going to give out.

An elderly man was pondering his candy purchase at CVS for about 20 minutes. He mentioned to me he's only giving out one piece each.

Did you buy less candy this year and what type due to the recession or your own reduced funds? I can't imagine having enough money to give out all chocolate. We bought a bunch of different kinds (chocolate and non).
Good grief. It's once a year for cripe's sake. I wonder if these are the same people who spend $800 on Xmas presents every year.

Personally, I dont' hand out candy because I live in the country and our gate is locked. But if I did, I sure wouldn't quibble about spending $20 or $30 dollars for candy for Halloween. What does that come to annually? Something like .08 cents a day? Sheesh

20yrsinBranson

Old 10-31-2009, 01:28 PM

2,637 posts, read 12,632,650 times
I just moved to a new apartment complex and bought a bag of candy hoping maybe there are actually trick-or-treaters here. At my last complex I had only one knock in the past five years so I stopped even buying candy.

So anyways I grabbed a bag of mixed candy bar minis and noticed it was about $6 which did seem high to me, but like I said it has been a long time since I bought Halloween candy. I went looking for Dum Dum pops (love those things) and found a big bag for $2, got those instead. If I do get any kids they will each get several since I doubt there will be enough that one per kid is necessary. Plus I will happily eat any leftovers, so the more I can give away, the better!

Old 10-31-2009, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Good grief. It's once a year for cripe's sake. I wonder if these are the same people who spend $800 on Xmas presents every year.

Personally, I dont' hand out candy because I live in the country and our gate is locked. But if I did, I sure wouldn't quibble about spending $20 or $30 dollars for candy for Halloween. What does that come to annually? Something like .08 cents a day? Sheesh

20yrsinBranson
Branson, normally I agree with you...but there is a recession and a lot of people are really counting pennies. Maybe that $30 right now is all some people have...I happen to know one family in dire straights that CANNOT afford to give out anything but they are on a busy road and if they don't, well, they will get hosed and egged.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting