Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2009, 02:50 PM

1,895 posts, read 5,901,814 times

Advertisements

Why let your kids even GO out trick or treating if you're not going to let them eat all but 5 pieces of the candy? ???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2009, 02:54 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,458,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by formercalifornian View Post
I let them eat it! We throw the yucky stuff away, and eat the rest a few pieces a day for many months afterward. As long as they eat a generally balanced diet, get plenty of exercise, and brush their teeth twice a day, I don't worry about a sweet tooth doing any long-lasting harm.
Same here. I don't buy candy normally (and my kids always were healthy eaters in general) so I just figured let them have what they want and when it's gone it's gone. My kids are too old for T&T now so it's not an issue unless we have leftovers.....Hardly any kids last night so we do have leftoevers this year....

Old 11-01-2009, 03:06 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
On the radio a doctor said that it is ok to let kids gorge on candy occaisionally, the bad thing is to let them eat it regularly. I did not listen long enough to get the logic behind it.

At our old house where we regularly got as many as 500 trick or treaters, we just gave most of it back out to the latecomers. Now, we mix it all together, pick out some of the more loved bits and stick about half of the choice items in the freezer (chocolate items),. then we use it for lunches, etc. the non-choice items go to work and get left in the kitchen. It is usually gone in a few days.

Saving some of it for christmad stockings is a great idea.

It is funy to go from 500 plus trick or treaters to zero this year. If anyone had come, we would have just given them the entir ebag if they wanted it.

Old 11-01-2009, 03:10 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,171,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Most chocolate will be rancid or stale by next year.
I guess I better eat it then!

Old 11-01-2009, 03:17 PM

5,747 posts, read 12,053,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
I guess I better eat it then!
I'm with you. My kids know that soon as they walk through the door, they'd better hand over the Tootsie Rolls!

Old 11-01-2009, 03:24 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,084,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
You know nothing about teenagers if you think they would enjoy either of those things.

It's clear you have a disdain for teenagers. Just remember that your children will one day be teenagers too.

That is too funny---DH and I have SEVEN kids from 47 to 7 so I have seen all stages and loved them all. And the grown ones did very much enjoy helping younger kids at fall festivals and fairs. Gee- guess I must have done something wrong along the way.....

But yes you are right about the 10 year old girls wearing bras now adays. my distain for teenagers coming T or Ting comes from experience in Atlanta with rowdy gangs of teenagers coming around with pillowcases, damaging property and obviously on the lookout for unattended homes. One year we even had a beloved black cat killed. So I think I agree, I don't like to see groups of teens coming to my house trick or treating.
But of course not all teens are up to mischief. I still think it is a holiday tradition for younger people to enjoy.
I made a fortune as as teenager taking young kids out on Halloween night. My favorite kind of babysitting.

Old 11-01-2009, 03:57 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,909,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
That is too funny---DH and I have SEVEN kids from 47 to 7 so I have seen all stages and loved them all. And the grown ones did very much enjoy helping younger kids at fall festivals and fairs. Gee- guess I must have done something wrong along the way.....
I think you are right that teens do enjoy helping younger kids. My oldest son (15) coaches youth football, and a boy in my class was really excited about taking his 4 year old step brother out trick or treating. But they are still kids themselves. There is nothing wrong with them trick or treating.

Quote:
But yes you are right about the 10 year old girls wearing bras now adays. my distain for teenagers coming T or Ting comes from experience in Atlanta with rowdy gangs of teenagers coming around with pillowcases, damaging property and obviously on the lookout for unattended homes. One year we even had a beloved black cat killed. So I think I agree, I don't like to see groups of teens coming to my house trick or treating.
I am sorry you had such a horrific experience with teens in Atlanta. You have to understand that most teenagers just want candy. I did not see any roving bands of rowdy kids last night, just lots of happy kids who wanted candy. Most of them even had costumes although there were a few that did not.

Quote:
But of course not all teens are up to mischief. I still think it is a holiday tradition for younger people to enjoy.
I made a fortune as as teenager taking young kids out on Halloween night. My favorite kind of babysitting.
How would a 13 year old not be a "younger person"?

Old 11-01-2009, 04:04 PM

3,199 posts, read 13,397,703 times
I use to try to be so vigilant and careful, and dole it out sparingly. This only lengthened the time and was more trouble than it was worth! So I just let them eat it at will within reason for a couple of weeks then when all the good stuff was gone, I just tossed it. Good lord, before it seemed like we were still dealing w/ Halloween candy until Christmastime!

My sister used to give my kids a special little bag of treats and included a new small toothbrush and toothpaste!

Old 11-01-2009, 04:05 PM

3,086 posts, read 7,615,317 times
My kids get to eat a few as they are still going and after they get home on Halloween. Then it goes in the candy drawer (my entry table has a nice long drawer where it all goes) and we all partake a piece or two each day.

About the only thing that might get tossed in the trash are Almond Joy as no one will eat coconut. So if we haven't had someone drop by that will eat it after a month or so, in the trash it goes.

I even buy Halloween candy when it goes on sale for 75% or 90% off at Target and keep it to refill when the drawer gets low or is empty. Sometime I even use it in stockings too.

Old 11-01-2009, 05:02 PM

1,820 posts, read 4,492,794 times
ooo I love Almond Joys! I am the only one in my house who will eat coconut.. the kids didn't get any this year though... ( I suppose that is a good thing really....)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting