Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2009, 09:29 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,051,718 times

Advertisements

Surely you don't let your kids eat all that junk?
Here is what we do,.
When they get home from trick or treating, we let each kid pick out their 5 favorite candy and they can have 1 piece of candy a day next week

What they don't pick out goes into our own give away bucket for any late trick or treaters

The awful candy we put in a special bucket for teenage trick or treaters- I can't stand teens who do this as they are way too old

anything left we use to add to the christmas stockings i make for DFCS kids along with socks, toothbrushes, combs, etc

The rest goes into next years Halloween stash. or it goes into the TRASH With the amount of preservative it will all be good for years or decades!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2009, 09:32 AM

22,566 posts, read 47,614,734 times
Our kids' candy languished for months.
We didn't restrict it, so they didn't think it was something they needed to gorge on.

Halloween candy got tossed before Easter; Easter candy got tossed prior to Halloween.

Old 11-01-2009, 09:38 AM

6,578 posts, read 25,456,658 times
My son isn't a big candy eater, so I took the candy to my office. (he's too old to T or T now.)

Just curious - what is awful candy? I'm not a big candy eater either so I don't know what's good and bad.

Old 11-01-2009, 09:43 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
What they don't pick out goes into our own give away bucket for any late trick or treaters

The awful candy we put in a special bucket for teenage trick or treaters- I can't stand teens who do this as they are way too old

anything left we use to add to the christmas stockings i make for DFCS kids along with socks, toothbrushes, combs, etc

The rest goes into next years Halloween stash. or it goes into the TRASH With the amount of preservative it will all be good for years or decades!!!!
Wow! I can't believe you give out recycled Halloween candy a year later!

Furthermore, I think it's terrible that you purposely punish the teenagers with the aweful stuff. Just wait until your kids are teenagers. They won't go every year, but one year they're going to be nostalgic and want to have some innocent fun with their friends. It sure beats a million terrible things teenagers can get themselves into.

As for what we do with the candy, nobody in our house eats a ton of sweets so there's no reason to restrict anyone's access to the candy. Since Halloween candy lasts a lifetime here, I'll take some in to the office to share with coworkers.

Old 11-01-2009, 09:44 AM

1,988 posts, read 5,382,917 times
My daughter isn't much of a candy eater. Her father and I help eat some of it, and the rest I take to work.

Old 11-01-2009, 10:12 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,893,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Wow! I can't believe you give out recycled Halloween candy a year later!

Furthermore, I think it's terrible that you purposely punish the teenagers with the aweful stuff. Just wait until your kids are teenagers. They won't go every year, but one year they're going to be nostalgic and want to have some innocent fun with their friends. It sure beats a million terrible things teenagers can get themselves into.
ITA, I was startled as well.

My dh loves to eat the leftover candy, and my college son had a few pieces. (and no, he didn't go trick-or-treating ) We only go trick-or-treating for a half hour or so, so we don't end up with a massive amount of candy. I have always just let the kids gorge on what they do get, and between them and my hubby it's gone in a week.

Old 11-01-2009, 10:35 AM

615 posts, read 1,692,932 times
Candy if it is packaged will last for years, chocolate not so much. I think it is a great plan although I don't restrict it quite is much. We jsut keep the stash and periodically I let my son have some. I certainly don't let him eat candy every day but somehow it gets eaten or given away without having to throw it away or use it for the following year.

Old 11-01-2009, 11:00 AM

2,779 posts, read 5,497,976 times
We let the kids have a piece a day for the week or so after Halloween and then my husband takes it to work.

Old 11-01-2009, 11:08 AM

1,820 posts, read 4,491,182 times
We let the kids pick out a few things as well, mostly chocolate items as I think that those chewy things such as now&later's ,dots,etc... are terrible....
I do put a little in the freezer to take out once in awhile but the rest goes to donations...
Last year, a dentist office in our town was taking all the leftover candy and donating it to the troops overseas. They gave each child who brought in their Halloween candy a "prize" for each pound....
This year, my husband's company is also sending the candy to the troops,so we are sending in all the unopened bags that we have to them....

Old 11-01-2009, 11:22 AM

45,333 posts, read 60,500,026 times
My kids weren't/aren't big candy eaters (the 24 y/o does binge on M&Ms occasionally) so the candy languished until Christmas (after an appropriate dad tax was levied on all gatherings) then was tossed. The same with Christmas and Easter candy. The oldest and youngest both have peanut allergies (youngest is also allergic to chocolate) so that eliminated a lot, anyway. Of course there were older sister/brother taxes levied on the youngest two.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting