Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2009, 01:19 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,596,323 times

Advertisements

Miami, Florida (CNN) -- He lies in a bed on a balloon-type mattress, to reduce pressure on his burned body. He is covered with bandages; a ventilator breathes for Michael Brewer because he can't do it for himself.

He's hooked up to the marvels of modern medicine that are trying to give the 15-year-old burn victim a chance to be a kid once again.

Set afire, teen now struggles for survival - CNN.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2009, 07:39 AM

758 posts, read 1,872,220 times
It gets very depressing reading a story like this. Just knowing that there are monsters living among us, that would subject anyone to this kind of horror, is very scary. Setting someone on fire to burn to death has got to be the cruelest form of torture. Either the person dies a slow and horrific death or they live but must endure months and sometimes years of painful surgeries, chronic pain, and permanent disfigurement. To think that kids did this to another kid is unimaginable.

Old 11-04-2009, 04:39 AM

4,502 posts, read 13,470,736 times
This is a horrible, horrible story. The news reported last week that it all started over a $40 video game.

Old 11-05-2009, 11:06 AM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skahar View Post
It gets very depressing reading a story like this. Just knowing that there are monsters living among us, that would subject anyone to this kind of horror, is very scary. Setting someone on fire to burn to death has got to be the cruelest form of torture. Either the person dies a slow and horrific death or they live but must endure months and sometimes years of painful surgeries, chronic pain, and permanent disfigurement. To think that kids did this to another kid is unimaginable.
I feel the same way. To me, the kids that did this are so far gone that they are beyond repair and the best thing to do would be to give them a needle. (Good thing I'm not in charge of the law, eh?) Such kids are worthless as far as any potential contribution to society goes. I know it's not "pc" to say that all children are not beautiful in some way or that there is not always hope, but I am a realist.

This victim boy's life has changed forever. I fervently hope that he is able to recover spiritually somehow and live the fullest life he can.

Old 11-05-2009, 03:32 PM

2,178 posts, read 9,578,191 times
Lordy! My son was burned 82% almost 5 years ago so I know what this boy and his family are going through and will continue to go through for years. Tomorrow my son is scheduled for yet another surgery.. This goes on for years....

Those boys that did this to him should be locked away for a long time, this burned boy will be paying for what they did to him for the rest of his life... Their life should be just as difficult and they have made his.

They should be made to go LOOK at what they did and have to see the raw, burned flesh and witness first hand what this boy will have to go through. Watch him have to learn to sit up, stand up, walk again and learn to use those limbs that are extremely painful to move, then have to lay in bed unmoving for 10 days when he gets his lab grown skin placed on him... Countless, countless things they should have to actually SEE to see what they did and how it is going to effect that boy for years to come. None of it pretty or pleasant.

Old 11-05-2009, 04:49 PM

758 posts, read 1,872,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura707 View Post
Lordy! My son was burned 82% almost 5 years ago so I know what this boy and his family are going through and will continue to go through for years. Tomorrow my son is scheduled for yet another surgery.. This goes on for years....

Those boys that did this to him should be locked away for a long time, this burned boy will be paying for what they did to him for the rest of his life... Their life should be just as difficult and they have made his.

They should be made to go LOOK at what they did and have to see the raw, burned flesh and witness first hand what this boy will have to go through. Watch him have to learn to sit up, stand up, walk again and learn to use those limbs that are extremely painful to move, then have to lay in bed unmoving for 10 days when he gets his lab grown skin placed on him... Countless, countless things they should have to actually SEE to see what they did and how it is going to effect that boy for years to come. None of it pretty or pleasant.

That seems like a good idea. If they have any souls at all they would just be sick having to watch what this boy has to go through.

Old 11-25-2009, 11:40 PM

1,571 posts, read 2,813,488 times
So sad, just read about it today as I was about to open my hotmail messages. How can someone burn another human being alive????
And if you hear on youtube the boy screaming in pain, while one the accused 15 year-old is in court smiling wow this doesn't stop does it? Poor kid, he had a normal life to go ahead and now it got snatched because of some psycho's twisted mind.
Most important do the parents of Michael's accusers knew what type of animal they were raising?
Oh wow, you can't trust no one.
15 year-olds set kids on fire... that's beyond cruelty. None of those thoughts ever occurred to me at that age. Lastly, isn't one suppose to have by early age know it's evil doing that to another human. Soooooo shocking... I hope I never get to encounter someone evil like those kids.

Old 11-26-2009, 12:33 AM

1,275 posts, read 3,415,648 times
Sadly, I was not suprised to hear this occured in my area, South Florida. These kind of things are but another reason I truly hate living here, I don't care what the PC crowd says, this place is filled with violence. What 10-15 yrs ago, we had Lionel Tate, the 11yr old who beat and crushed his playmate(a six yr old girl) to death. He then went on to hold up a pizza delivery guy because he wanted the pizza. About 4-5 yrs ago, we had a group of high school boys who would watch "Bum Fights" on the weekends and then go out and assault Ft. Lauderdale's homeless population. They used bats and sticks to beat homeless ppl who were asleep and eventually they killed a homeless, mentally ill man, mercifully it was all caught on video. This last yr, we had another group of high school boys who went around with semi-automatic handguns, holding up Dunkin Doughnuts and the patrons at the DD. Unfortunately, they weren't content with just robbing the DD, they shot many ppl, including one guy in his car in the parking lot, I think at least two ppl died. My mother, a high school English teacher, had one of the perpetrators in her class a few yrs ago, now he's up for First-degree Murder. This last incident really took the cake, the perps who lit the child on fire, are in MIDDLE SCHOOL!! Tell me this isn't absolutely terrifying?! I really fear for our society and I know that I won't even look in my rear-view mirror when I finally leave this place, I'm done living in fear.

Old 11-26-2009, 12:48 AM

1,571 posts, read 2,813,488 times
Yes too many bad things happened there with sick people. That's where I used to live as well. I guess I must be lucky I never bump into one of those merciless psychos. But see no matter what and where one lives, there are always sick people worldwide. Every people has it's own craziness going on. It just never stops. After that what are we going to hear next.....

Old 11-26-2009, 11:16 AM

214 posts, read 565,183 times
Default I am with you. . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I feel the same way. To me, the kids that did this are so far gone that they are beyond repair and the best thing to do would be to give them a needle. (Good thing I'm not in charge of the law, eh?) Such kids are worthless as far as any potential contribution to society goes. I know it's not "pc" to say that all children are not beautiful in some way or that there is not always hope, but I am a realist.

This victim boy's life has changed forever. I fervently hope that he is able to recover spiritually somehow and live the fullest life he can.
I am with you on this .

I do not believe in "rehabilitation" for everyone. We need more examples. . .more repercussions and less rewards (i.e., short prison sentence with luxuries!). What they did is ghastly. . .I have very few words to express my disgust.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting