Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2009, 03:50 PM

396 posts, read 1,032,090 times

Advertisements

Today my son and his Dad were out in our neighborhood.
His Dad came back and said we need to speak to him now.
I guess what happened is that he saw a kid he did not know, and the child looked to be Indian, or, that his skin was dark, whatever the case was...
The kid said hi to mine and mine looked at him and said you are disgusting... don't look at me.
His dad deducted that this was an issue of color. His father is latino, pretty dark and I am white.
So we gave him a talking to that what he did was not right, and it's not a good thing for a person to do what he did, especially if it had something to do with color.
I am perplexed right now because we are a multi-race family, my son is in school with whites, blacks, latinos... you name it.
We don't watch tv except for movies...
I'm just not sure where this came from.

The one thing I am proud about is that if this were an issue of color, that his Dad and I addressed it right away... but I thought that kids did not see color.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2009, 04:01 PM

43,011 posts, read 107,590,543 times
Kids this age treat others the way they are treated.

It's not that your son is being racist. Your son might have children saying things like that to him for being darker himself.

If so, he is projecting what he experienced onto another child because he's hurt and confused.

I've witnessed this when it comes to just plain nastiness when race isn't even a factor.

A very nice child will be mean to another child after someone treated him/her meanly.

The only other explanation is that your son might be learning this from someone who is racist towards Muslim or just darker looking people.

Either way, children this age learn these types of behaviors from others---children or adults---by witnessing or being the recipient of such treatment.

It's a good thing you're getting to the bottom of it.

It would be terrible if he's learning this because someone is treating him badly and you aren't aware of it.

Old 11-06-2009, 04:01 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,536,124 times
Not excusing the rudeness, but how do you know this was an issue of color? My son picked up that word (he said "ascusting," as in, "That's ASCUSTING!") for anything he didn't like. Maybe the kid had a runny nose or juice on his shirt or something inane.

Old 11-06-2009, 04:18 PM

43,011 posts, read 107,590,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Not excusing the rudeness, but how do you know this was an issue of color? My son picked up that word (he said "ascusting," as in, "That's ASCUSTING!") for anything he didn't like. Maybe the kid had a runny nose or juice on his shirt or something inane.
I have no doubt the OP's child was projecting something someone said to him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by old biddie View Post
The kid said hi to mine and mine looked at him and said you are disgusting... don't look at me.

Old 11-06-2009, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Kids this age treat others the way they are treated.

It's not that your son is being racist. Your son might have children saying things like that to him for being darker himself.

If so, he is projecting what he experienced onto another child because he's hurt and confused.

I've witnessed this when it comes to just plain nastiness when race isn't even a factor.

A very nice child will be mean to another child after someone treated him/her meanly.

The only other explanation is that your son might be learning this from someone who is racist towards Muslim or just darker looking people.

Either way, children this age learn these types of behaviors from others---children or adults---by witnessing or being the recipient of such treatment.

It's a good thing you're getting to the bottom of it.

It would be terrible if he's learning this because someone is treating him badly and you aren't aware of it.
Wow! I did not even think of that! How do I find out. Like the other poster said, sometimes we parents can get confused, and it is hard to get an answer out of him because of age... parenting can be brutal.

Old 11-06-2009, 04:26 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,330,679 times
I too fail to see where the assumption can be made that it was race related....granted it was not nice but maybe he didn't like his shirt or he was just saying something and he would have said the same thing to ANY kid who happened to be there. There just isn't enough information to know.

Old 11-06-2009, 05:02 PM

2,868 posts, read 9,523,584 times
I would not assume it was an issue of racism. When my kids learned that word it was used often. Regardless, it's use was out of line. I would just reiterate that is is not friendly to name call anyone and give some kind of punishment.

Old 11-06-2009, 05:07 PM

22,230 posts, read 47,150,952 times
Did you ASK the child what was disgusting?

"His dad deducted that this was an issue of color" sounds like bias on the dad's part, not the kid's.

Old 11-06-2009, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Did you ASK the child what was disgusting?

"His dad deducted that this was an issue of color" sounds like bias on the dad's part, not the kid's.

I am hearing some good stuff here, and that is why I always turn to all of you for advice... better than a shrink!!!

I am going to revisit this, and then next time I will look closer at something like this.

Thank you All!

Old 11-06-2009, 06:35 PM

14,785 posts, read 23,946,607 times
maybe someone at school has been saying this at school to your son and I would most especially look at the teacher . God forbid the teacher should be saying this to him or any other child . I think it is of color the way it was said . well I hope you find out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting