Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2007, 11:25 AM

4,273 posts, read 15,248,856 times

Advertisements

The past two movies I saw "Spider-man 3" (rated PG-13) and "300" (rated R) parents brought their infant babies and both times, the babies would start crying ... and crying and crying. I'm tired of this! They don't even take them out of the theatre ... they just let them cry and they're going, "Shhhh, shhhh," to the baby. So here we are in the love scene in "300" and to the side I'm hearing "Shhh, shhhh," ugh!

I'm sure I sound insensitive when I say this but come on moms and dads, is it really appropriate to bring your infant kid to a loud movie where it's almost impossible for them not to start crying?

Going to SP3, there were a lot of older kids, too, that shouldn't have been there, IMO, but every parent has the right to raise their kids how they want to raise them. If they think 4 and 5 year olds can go watch the movie, so be it, I'm ok with that. I even think it's cute that in sheer excitement they narrate what's happening to the characters in the movie while we're all watching the movie! I was probably a little sarcastic in this paragraph but honestly, I am OK with it, if it's an appropriate movie.

I'm not even going to start about teenagers and their behaviour in theatres nowadays! Am I being waaaaay to insensitive here about parents bringing their babies? I know it's hard to get a baby-sitter and all that but with movies coming out in 6 months on DVD nowadays, can't you guys wait just a little longer so the rest of us can watch our movies in peace?

Oh boy ... I can feel the angry messages I'm about to get ....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2007, 11:45 AM

3,574 posts, read 14,338,728 times
We hired baby-sitters. What a concept.... As for teen-agers - if your parents think you are the center of their world and are afraid to "damage your self-esteem" or are simply afraid, you don't learn how to behave in public among others who do not think the world revolves around you.

Old 05-12-2007, 12:49 PM

548 posts, read 2,647,036 times
I totally agree with you. Having said that...I have taken a baby to a movie, BUT I went w/a friend and her kids on purpose. That way, if my baby started crying (which he did), I could leave the theatre and she'd watch my other 2 kids until the movie was over. I think if you have a baby, you need to think ahead: either leave the child w/a babysitter or have a plan how to handle it if he starts crying (like....you need to leave the theatre, so you should have someone with you!!).

Old 05-12-2007, 01:00 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,006,830 times
Not only does it infuriate me when people bring babies to movies, I get disgusted when they bring very young children to age-inappropriate films.
It's just not fair to the baby or the toddler.
And it never fails that the movie will reach a certain dramatic climax, whether action-filled or soft-spoken, and that's when Junior begins howling or whining or whatever.
Get a babysitter, or don't go.

Old 05-12-2007, 01:01 PM

1,942 posts, read 8,488,611 times
This is a total pet peeve of mine. Not just babies, but screaming kids...and they don't take them out or they take them right into the inside hallway so that the parent can still watch the movie.

One that gets me even more mad is when parents bring their young children to rated R movies- that have vulgar language and nudity and sex scenes. What the h3ll are those parents thinking?

I am sure some of these kind of parents are like "i...t must be nice to have a sitter, we don't have that option, so what are we supposed to do-not see a movie until the kids are out of the house??" YES! Or go see a kid movie, not bring them to a movie where the people on the screen are going to town and your 10 year old kid gets to watch it. These parents should have thought of all of this before they had their child.

What should really happen is that movie theaters should crack down and if it is a R movie, no one under the age of 17 is allowed, with or without an adult/parent.

Before my youngest was 2 he was really a cranky baby. All the time. We couldn't even go out to eat. We wanted to...but from the one or two times we tried, we knew that he couldn't sit for that whole time, heck not even for 5 minutes, and it was just a miserable time and we didn't want anyone else to have to deal with that, so we didn't go out to eat until he got older.

Old 05-12-2007, 01:11 PM

Whoa ... I thought I was the only one annoyed but it seems like some folks are more so than me!

I can actually tolerate it if it's an appopriate movie PG-13 or lower. The only thing I ask is parents need to take necessary measures so the rest of the audience doesn't have to deal with YOUR kids screaming and yelling.

One time I saw parents sitting in the MIDDLE OF THE THEATRE with their infant. Come on!!!!!!

Rated R films I can definitely understand people being less forgiving. Kids do not belong there. Period.

Anybody have really bad experiences with teens? I just think they are really loud and obnoxious prior to the movie but *most* settle down when it starts.

Old 05-12-2007, 01:16 PM

2,267 posts, read 3,295,205 times
I have yet to have that happen but that would annoy me greatly to pay that much money to see a movie and then have that happen...

What are people thinking??

I feel that my choice to have a child, is my choice and as much as posible I should not let that effect other peoples lives...like going places like a theatre and forcing people to put up with my child...

Some people are just numb to the havoc their kids wreck when in public...sorry but I have no problem saying something...If I am in an expensive restaurant and someones kid is running amock...I say something...

Old 05-12-2007, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa_from_Debary View Post
I feel that my choice to have a child, is my choice and as much as posible I should not let that effect other peoples lives.
Amen Lisa! (You "Amen Foma"-ed me in Religion)!!!!!!

Old 05-12-2007, 07:21 PM

206 posts, read 938,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cil View Post
Not only does it infuriate me when people bring babies to movies, I get disgusted when they bring very young children to age-inappropriate films.
It's just not fair to the baby or the toddler.
And it never fails that the movie will reach a certain dramatic climax, whether action-filled or soft-spoken, and that's when Junior begins howling or whining or whatever.
Get a babysitter, or don't go.
I agree, the worst was when my friend and I went to see the 40 Year Old Virgin, there were 3 kids behind us, ages 3-8

We couldn't even enjoy the movie (which is sooo funny), it was awful. I went out and found an employee and asked if there were any rules against this and she said no. The movie was sold out, so there were no seats to move to.

And people wonder why kids are so screwed up these days.

Old 05-12-2007, 09:52 PM

6,588 posts, read 17,543,963 times
This is why I rarely go out to see movies these days. If it isn't some jerk playing with his cell phone, lighting up three rows behind him, then it's someone kicking the back of my chair, etc.

I took my children to age-appropriate films. If they couldn't behave, we left. The same thing happened in restaurants - if they couldn't sit still and not whine, I took them outside.

I don't know why parents today seem oblivious to rules of common courtesy. Their attitude seems to be: "I paid $10 to see this, and because of that, I'm not leaving, no matter what." Yes, and so did the rest of us - the ones whose movie-going experience you're ruining! Grrr...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting