Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2009, 09:34 PM

3,562 posts, read 5,223,727 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunflower_lol View Post
Yes hopefully, she'll understand too that I was just a 19 year-old in love and it was my first time. It's that emotion when you're new to something. This was my first serious relationship. I knew nothing about handling relationship. Would read forums and people's thread on their relationships but not from first hand experience....
No.

Have the decency to recognize that your mother was a woman, all to herself, before you came along. Have the respect to look her in the eye and say that you, yes you, f*cked up. Put your big girl panties on and go face the music.

Learn how to say, I'm sorry.

NOT: I'm sorry, but...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2009, 09:50 PM

147 posts, read 329,591 times
I am in agreement with the majority who have stated "their house, their rules". I believe the it wasn't only the boyfriend but you as well who showed a total lack of respect for your parent's home. It might have been "your" room but "your" room is in their house. If you are at least 20 years old that is more than old enough to move out and sleep with whoever you want-just make sure YOU are paying the rent-if your parents pay it, then you are still going to encounter a type of "their roof" mentality.

Old 11-16-2009, 12:36 AM

2,568 posts, read 6,748,696 times
Quote:
It's been 3 long years since that incidence. I don't think it would be wise for me to bring up the topic to them again. He's not talk about that much now.

Didn't you have another thread about this subject?. It is too late to look for it now. But let me ask you something, what do you want from us? Why do you bring up something that is 3 YEARS OLD? I don't waste my time rehashing things from 3 years ago unless it directly relates to today. What is it that you want to happen today? Do you just want people to agree with you or do you want people to help you mend your relationship with your parents?

Old 11-16-2009, 09:15 AM

1,571 posts, read 2,812,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzie02 View Post
But let me ask you something, what do you want from us? Why do you bring up something that is 3 YEARS OLD? I don't waste my time rehashing things from 3 years ago unless it directly relates to today. What is it that you want to happen today? Do you just want people to agree with you or do you want people to help you mend your relationship with your parents?
Reason why I was bringing back this 3 year old event is because for a long time (2 years or so later), my parents would keep bringing it up in any way even if it was in sarcastic joke. Fact when it was already March-April of this year, he was still brought up somehow. See what I mean? So it's not that old when a subject is continuously brought up year after year.
But ok, if it were to be brought up again today, I'll make my amends to them so they can shut up with it already. Enough is enough... Plus I feel I have aged a bit as a result of this battle... I'm still young at 22, thought at times, I felt like I was 26 or in my early 30's...

Old 11-16-2009, 09:21 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,444,796 times
Quote:
I'll make my amends to them so they can shut up with it already.
Not generally a great attitude if you want your parents to treat you like an adult....You want to be treated like an adult, you apologize (sincerely) for being disrespectful to them and the values they hold dear. You don't have to agree with those values but you should respect them. Sounds like you've got a ways to go in the growing up dept.

Old 11-16-2009, 10:12 AM

2,568 posts, read 6,748,696 times
Quote:
Reason why I was bringing back this 3 year old event is because for a long time (2 years or so later), my parents would keep bringing it up in any way even if it was in sarcastic joke. Fact when it was already March-April of this year, he was still brought up somehow. See what I mean? So it's not that old when a subject is continuously brought up year after year.
But ok, if it were to be brought up again today, I'll make my amends to them so they can shut up with it already. Enough is enough... Plus I feel I have aged a bit as a result of this battle...
I still don't get what you want from us. Part of growing up is understanding that people will not do what you want them to do. Also I do not believe your parents will accept him until you are married. I know I wouldn't.

Quote:
I'm still young at 22, thought at times, I felt like I was 26 or in my early 30's...
Sorry but in your posts you sound like a teenager.

Old 11-16-2009, 10:35 AM

17,029 posts, read 30,911,890 times
My house, my rules. Grow up and get your own place.

Old 11-16-2009, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzie02 View Post
Also I do not believe your parents will accept him until you are married. I know I wouldn't.
Yup, they would have no choice by then. Makes me wonder how many marriages are against the parents' approval. How many get married while knowing deep inside the person's parents will never really liked them but are only acting cool for their child's sake???
My father has a sister that never liked my mother, to this day still doesn't but is has to be cool, if not, my father will off course not like it....

Old 11-16-2009, 05:00 PM

1,492 posts, read 3,232,469 times
I am also in the parent sets the rule camp.
My kids have had freinds sleep over and I am sure that this will continue. However when it comes to boy friend / girl friend then I believe that the relationship has risen to a higher level and so personally I would prefer boy friends / girl friends not to sleep over but if they do then it should be in a separate room and with the understanding that there is no sneaking between rooms. Fun it may be. Disrespectful it is too. I do not believe in sex before mariage and as a parent I believe it is my responsibility to ensure that my hormone ravaged teenagers so not engage in it.

Old 11-16-2009, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aidxen View Post
I do not believe in sex before mariage and as a parent I believe it is my responsibility to ensure that my hormone ravaged teenagers so not engage in it.
Well that's you. I do not believe in waiting till marriage. I did not so, even when I was virgin.. If I was dating a man that told me he won't have sex till marriage, sorry but I would dump him. Why the need to get marry in order to have sex???

Ok I get the point that in your parents' house you have to respect their rules they set in. What I don't get is parents imposing the ''wait till marriage thing''. If I had done it on a hotel instead of my parents' house (ok they wouldn't have bashed the guy that much but I would certainly get bashed that I didn't waited), my mom would still be freaked out on why I chose not to wait till marriage. My father would have still take it a bit hard.

I get the house rules part, but what does that have to do with your ideas whether you will wait till marriage or not. That's your body and no one but you can control that.... And just because a parent believe in the whole waiting till marriage (to me that's BS) why should you be impose to believe in that too??? Ok so my mom waited, I didn't. Why not? because I didn't want to, that's why...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting