Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2009, 10:11 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times

Advertisements

I did a google search for insulated hoodie and found this:

Best Prices on Technine Insulated Hoodie Black Noir - Mens Sweatshirts Hoodie Skateboard Snowboard Snowboarding

Even uninsulated that was never my son's style, but a lot of the kids at his school wear that type of look.

Just thought I'd share....just in case your son is a hoody wearer that falls into that category of kid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2009, 10:21 AM

3,644 posts, read 10,936,800 times
When your son is 19 he will finally ask you to get him a coat, blame you for not having one all those years, and ask why you never got him one

My 10 year old recently did something similar! In the weeks leading up to school beginning, I was shopping for BTS clothes. My dd picked out TONS - I had to keep pulling her back. I asked my son again and again to pick out some clothes, but he'd refuse. Sometimes, I picked up one or two things (new u'wear, socks, a couple pairs of jeans, 2 shirts). A couple weeks ago, he came and stood next to me while I was online shopping for a Christmas dress for his sister. He was kind of pouty, so I asked what was wrong... I got an answer! He asked why I never bought him any new clothes, just his sister.

I explained and he went into full on pout mode. I went to the Old Navy website (his favorite store) but he wouldn't pick anything out. I got frustrated, told him he could go to school naked and turned off the computer. The next morning, a list was on my desk of all the clothes he wanted, along with an apology for his attitude.

If the pre-teen years are this much fun, he may not LIVE to be 19!

Old 11-25-2009, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sskkc View Post
When your son is 19 he will finally ask you to get him a coat, blame you for not having one all those years, and ask why you never got him one
Funny!

That's closely related to why we always bought a coat each year--even knowing he wouldn't wear one. I felt it was important to make sure there WAS A COAT.

If CYS/CPS came knocking on the door, you'd want to say "he has a coat, he just won't wear it." Instead of, "I won't buy him a coat because he won't wear one."

Old 11-25-2009, 10:29 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,444,796 times
My experience is that boys just don't like to do anything that lengthens the amount of time in a store. I only take my son clothes shopping if he needs to try stuff on (jeans, shoes) - otherwise I have a pretty good concept of what he'll wear and what he won't (same for DH). I just bring it home from time to time. If we are out running non-clothing errands and he happens to see something he will point it out but that's about the extent of it. If he complained about what I bought then I'd be dragging him along or letting him wear what he had but he is usually fine with my choices.....

Old 11-25-2009, 10:52 AM

1,468 posts, read 2,119,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
My son will wear his ski jacket when skiing, but he won't wear it any other time! Teens are weird!
Love this thread.

Peer pressure can be a strange thing.

I have a teenager who was not interested in clothes. I embarked upon a project to introduce him to the wonders of men's clothing.

Ask Andy FORUMS - Powered by vBulletin

I didn't say, "You want to go clothes shopping?" Instead, I said: "We are going clothes shopping."

I took him to a department store. First he tried on a beautifully crafted pair of black wingtips. Then I picked out some classic coats for him to try on.

When he saw he looked like Cary Grant he was hooked (scroll down to picture)

If you had to choose ONE overcoat... - Ask Andy FORUMS

Maybe it's worth a try...a classic Chesterfield under the Christmas tree?

Old 11-25-2009, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamingSpires View Post
Maybe it's worth a try...a classic Chesterfield under the Christmas tree?
A shorter one might have a chance with the kids who are into the metro-sexual style, but it's a very rare kid who would wear the full length Chesterfield daily.

The hoodie-only kids are not in the market for either.

Old 11-25-2009, 11:16 AM

There's a young man on my bus who wears a wool military styled coat over a hoodie. It's not bad looking.

I'm not talking a super long military coat. It's just car length, but there are shorter ones.

I'm talking about the WOOL ones, not the green canvas ones. And I'm not talking about a pea coat either.

Do a google image search for men's military wool coat.

Old 11-25-2009, 11:27 AM

1,468 posts, read 2,119,225 times
Quote:
A shorter one might have a chance with the kids who are into the metro-sexual style, but it's a very rare kid who would wear the full length Chesterfield daily.

The hoodie-only kids are not in the market for either.
Agreed --the Chesterfield is a dress-up-only coat really -- I was thinking more in terms of a way to "get him interested in clothes."

I got my teenager a Chesterfield to wear over a suit. Once he saw how great it looked on him, it was very easy to get him to try on other coats, including more casual ones.

A plain, well-cut black mid-length single-breasted wool coat with notch lapels looks great with nice jeans. It doesn't look metrosexual, in my opinion -- it just looks classic. Same with a well-cut peacoat.

Old 11-25-2009, 11:31 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,155,231 times
Katahdin Iron Works Sweatshirt, Insulated: Fleece and Sweatshirts at L.L.Bean

Old 11-25-2009, 11:49 AM

216 posts, read 681,981 times
Quote:
I did a google search for insulated hoodie and found this:

Best Prices on Technine Insulated Hoodie Black Noir - Mens Sweatshirts Hoodie Skateboard Snowboard Snowboarding

Even uninsulated that was never my son's style, but a lot of the kids at his school wear that type of look.

Just thought I'd share....just in case your son is a hoody wearer that falls into that category of kid.

I found that, also...but, see, it has stuff written on the front. And the stuff does not say N.E. Patriots, BC Eagles, or our HS sports logo. I am with other posters who say, basically, I just want to have a coat in the house so that I am not accused of child endangerment if questioned about why my son is wandering around in a snow storm in a t-shirt and shorts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting