Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2009, 08:05 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,164,079 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Yeah, I thought it was kind of silly to assume that a parade of giant balloons wasn't something for little kids. My children would love it.
right. And apparently we are supposed to plan at least 1 year in advance and watch it on TV the year before so we can gauge the size and density of the crowd before we attend. Otherwise we are just rude and inconsiderate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2009, 08:19 AM

5,384 posts, read 10,867,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
right. And apparently we are supposed to plan at least 1 year in advance and watch it on TV the year before so we can gauge the size and density of the crowd before we attend. Otherwise we are just rude and inconsiderate.
Dang! I forgot to tape it... you mean to tell me I have to wait a whole year to study carefully, with a magnifying glass, those crowds and figure out where to park my children and ankle ramming stroller? Maybe us ankle rammers need to get there at like six in the morning just to find a spot that is available for the very few child oriented families allowed to attend this For Adult Only Parade Maybe I should just call Macy's to find out how many children THEY think should attend this Adult Function they have put on for generations now? They might give me a clear answer.... I wonder if anyone has ever actually informed them they put a parade on for Adults ONLY??? I wonder what they would say to that?

Old 12-03-2009, 08:36 AM

758 posts, read 1,871,932 times
Hey come on now folks, lets settle down. No one said kids were not allowed. It was only said that you had to carry them around no strollers. Is that so much to ask? Lugging a 30lb kid shouldn't be asking too much. I think you guys are being a little harsh.

Old 12-03-2009, 09:16 AM

1,149 posts, read 4,205,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skahar View Post
Hey come on now folks, lets settle down. No one said kids were not allowed. It was only said that you had to carry them around no strollers. Is that so much to ask? Lugging a 30lb kid shouldn't be asking too much. I think you guys are being a little harsh.
It certainly would be to me and quite a few other people, considering the length of such events - and besides, if people are not allowed to use strollers, can I demand that non-stroller users not attend at all? I mean, they would have to leave their arms, shoulders, and legs all at home because I inevitably come home with bruises every time they shove into me when I walk in a crowd. Is that so much to ask?

Old 12-03-2009, 09:20 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,452,372 times
You know, my DH and DS attended a concert this summer and some idiot dumped a beer all over my DS (16); I thought that was rude - maybe beer (or any beverage) ought to be nixed at concerts and ballgames because there are rude beer drinkers (I know, surprising).

Old 12-03-2009, 09:42 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,030,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
You know, my DH and DS attended a concert this summer and some idiot dumped a beer all over my DS (16); I thought that was rude - maybe beer (or any beverage) ought to be nixed at concerts and ballgames because there are rude beer drinkers (I know, surprising).
Well, I'm all for nixing beer at concernts and ballgames!

Old 12-03-2009, 11:35 AM

3,387 posts, read 6,626,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Don't even get me started on that!
Same here!!!

It's a DOG, it has FOUR legs, it DOES NOT need a stroller, it DOES NOT need a carrier, it DOES NOT need to be carried around all day in a purse.

Make the dog walk, it's supposed to ya know.

Old 12-03-2009, 11:39 AM

3,387 posts, read 6,626,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I base it on the fact that mothers have managed throughout history without these things! They are unnecessary luxuries.

Today's society didn't evolve into one that requires special apparatuses to parent. Today's society created pampered mothers. Plain and simple.

Only the truly disabled would be unable to manage.

I guarantee that most of you would surive if strollers were outlawed tomorrow.
I agree about the pampered mothers thing.

There are even baby planners now (never heard of it till a few days ago), that baby proof your home, buy all your nursery gear and clothes, and pack your hospital bag for you, especially if you are too busy.

Sorry, but if you are too busy, or too overwhelmed to baby proof and buy a crib and pack a bag, you do NOT need to be having a child in the first place.

Old 12-03-2009, 11:57 AM

1,149 posts, read 4,205,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cav Scout wife View Post

There are even baby planners now (never heard of it till a few days ago), that baby proof your home, buy all your nursery gear and clothes, and pack your hospital bag for you, especially if you are too busy.

Sorry, but if you are too busy, or too overwhelmed to baby proof and buy a crib and pack a bag, you do NOT need to be having a child in the first place.
I am not personally doing this - My husband and I work full time, and managed to pick out everything we feel we need. However, I can see people who choose to do this, not because of time constraints, but because they just aren't very good at interior decorating. My nursery will never look as it could look if I had an interior decorator do it for me, particularly because of the sloped ceilings and the L-shape.

I'm sorry, but these days there are modern conveniences for everyone, not just mothers. I can have a maid clean my house, and a landscaper tend to my lawn and bushes - this does not mean I should not have a house. It means that my salary per hour I get paid at work means that 1 hour for me can pay for an entire landscaping maintenance crew to do my front and back yards. Needless to say that would take me an entire Saturday to do what they do in a few hours. Instead of canning and pickling my own fruits and vegetables, I can buy preserves in the supermarket or farmer's market. Just because I opt to buy them doesn't mean I don't deserve to eat them.

Strollers are just another convenience. Really, until this thread I have never heard of anyone complain about them - and again, I grew up in NYC and lived there till I was almost 30.

Old 12-03-2009, 12:01 PM

5,384 posts, read 10,867,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cav Scout wife View Post

Wow! People bring cribs to the parade too? Impressive!

And in regards to this statement:
Quote:
I base it on the fact that mothers have managed throughout history without these things! They are unnecessary luxuries.
Take a look at thos image from the 1847-

Want to know when the first stroller came to be?
The First Buggy

William Kent, a garden architect from England, designed the first known baby carriage for the third Duke of Devonshire in 1733.
read more here: Pregnancy Place: The History of Strollers – Rolling Along!

But I think that goes to show that for almost 300 years now people have been using strollers.... doesn't seem like women managed for as long as one might think! They knew a good thing when they had it!! 300 years is a long time!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting