Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2009, 12:11 PM

4,267 posts, read 6,183,374 times

Advertisements

[quote=Cav Scout wife;11873845]
Quote:
Originally Posted by yodi View Post

Am I the only one that had a chicken pox party when I was a kid?

I got the chicken pox 3 weeks before christmas when I was in 5th grade, and the whole class, plus 14 other kids from church came and slept over for a night or so, and by the time school was back in, we were all well from the pox, and I can't remember anyone else getting it when I was in school after that.
We did. One kid on our block got chicken pox and the rest of the parents made sure that we all played together so that we would all catch it. I actually have fond memories of having chicken pox because I was outside playing the whole time.

The chicken pox vaccine is one of the main reasons why I think parents need to be given the opportunity for exemptions. I think that kids should be given the chance to contract it naturally (these days that usually means trying to contract it at a chicken pox party since it's no longer widespread) and if they don't get it by a certain age (sometime in the teenage years), then get vaccinated. The widespread use of the chicken pox vaccine is leading to an increase in cases of shingles which is not a good thing for society as a whole.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2009, 12:17 PM

11,027 posts, read 6,507,044 times
Quote:
That was me. While we have different viewpoints, I appreciate the fact that you have maintained a respectful tone throughout this thread.

Thanks, yodi.

I think when discussing passionate subjects as this we tend to get heated and emotional because we ALL want to be the best parent that we can be and when someone disagrees with our opinion on a parenting subject, we often allow it to reflect on ourselves individually as a parent. Nobody wants to be told they're a bad parent, and when someone sees our methods as being the 'wrong' method that's exactly how it feels sometimes. Nothing brings out the animalistic protective parent in us like subjects about what's best for our kids.

Old 12-03-2009, 12:19 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
Quote:
We did. One kid on our block got chicken pox and the rest of the parents made sure that we all played together so that we would all catch it. I actually have fond memories of having chicken pox because I was outside playing the whole time.
I tried that. None of my kids could catch it!

Quote:
The chicken pox vaccine is one of the main reasons why I think parents need to be given the opportunity for exemptions. I think that kids should be given the chance to contract it naturally (these days that usually means trying to contract it at a chicken pox party since it's no longer widespread) and if they don't get it by a certain age (sometime in the teenage years), then get vaccinated. The widespread use of the chicken pox vaccine is leading to an increase in cases of shingles which is not a good thing for society as a whole.
Don't most states allow for that? In my state, we have until 9th grade to vaccinate for chicken pox.

That gives children plenty of time to try to get them on their own in the younger years.

Since the teen years is more dangerous, I think the age requirement is very reasonable in my state.

Old 12-03-2009, 12:20 PM

3,387 posts, read 6,628,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I agree. However, I think it will be harder to prove a moral belief to a jury if someone isn't closely affiliated with a religious organization supporting the belief.
Do you knoe how absolutely easy it is to just make up a nationally reconized religion in the country?

You get the application, fill out the info, and apply; and you will be an official minister for that religion.

Seriously, hubby's lil brother and 4 of his friend's were all legally ordained ministers in their made up church and they did that when he was 18, lol.

Old 12-03-2009, 12:32 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cav Scout wife View Post
Do you knoe how absolutely easy it is to just make up a nationally reconized religion in the country?

You get the application, fill out the info, and apply; and you will be an official minister for that religion.

Seriously, hubby's lil brother and 4 of his friend's were all legally ordained ministers in their made up church and they did that when he was 18, lol.
A person would need to prove they belonged to the church prior to claiming religous exemption and that the church promoted that moral belief prior too. The jury would view anything done after a death as trying to cover up that it wasn't really a religious belief. I doubt many people who would bother to cover their tracks so carefully ahead of time.

Old 12-03-2009, 12:48 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
I've had skin problems my whole life and couldn't take the small pox vaccine because of it. My mother also worried about chicken pox and was viligant about keeping me away from anyone who had it, and was so proud that I made it to adulthood without catching it. . . . 10 years later I had kids of my own who brought it home and I got to have it at age 36! Thanks mom.

Hahaha! But seriously, nothing bad happened and I came thru it with only one small scar on my face. The vaccine came out a few years later.

Old 12-03-2009, 02:25 PM

2,839 posts, read 9,983,568 times
You can't sue someone for your vaccinated child coming down with the measles. Let's say Angela is not vaccinated, but Bobby was. Angela gets the measles from some guy at DisneyWorld. Bobby catches the measles from Angela and passes it on to his cousin, Carl (who is also vaccinated). Carl goes grocery shopping, and Diana, a 50-year old whose measles vaccine has long worn off, acquires it. She, unfortunately, dies from the measles. Who is her husband going to sue? The vaccine maker? DisneyWorld? Angela's parents? Bobby's parnets? Carl's parents? The grocery store?

The whole thing is absurd. Disease is a part of life. You can't go around suing people for getting sick.

We went to a chickenpox party a few years ago. (I've exposed my kids to CP three times, and no luck... is it not as contagious as I remember it being, or what?) The child who had the chickenpox actually had gotten it from the vaccine. If he was out and about the day before, he might have passed it onto someone who was immunocompromised, and the person could have had severe complications. Would you advocate that his mother should be sued, for GETTING the live virus vaccine? Or would it only make sense to sue me, if the person had caught it from my child, after my child caught the chickenpox from that vaccinated child?

You also can't say that people can't believe whatever they'd like. We have not done every vaccination. If my kids went to school, I'd have to fill out the religious exemption. I fully believe that God gave me my children, and that He expects me to take care of them and keep them safe. I fully believe that certain vaccines are more risky than beneficial. Who are you or a judge or a jury to say that I can not have that religious belief?

Old 12-03-2009, 02:51 PM

5,384 posts, read 10,869,300 times
Here is information on the Chicken Pox vaccine.... it prevents the SEVER Chicken Pox (the one that sends kids to the hospital with infections that can kill them) by 100% and the regular chicken pox by 95%.... read more...

CHICKENPOX VACCINE (http://www.askdrsears.com/html/8/T080900.asp - broken link)

Old 12-03-2009, 03:16 PM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,918 posts, read 6,785,113 times
Quote:
Nor Cal Wahine: I think when discussing passionate subjects as this we tend to get heated and emotional because we ALL want to be the best parent that we can be and when someone disagrees with our opinion on a parenting subject, we often allow it to reflect on ourselves individually as a parent. Nobody wants to be told they're a bad parent, and when someone sees our methods as being the 'wrong' method that's exactly how it feels sometimes. Nothing brings out the animalistic protective parent in us like subjects about what's best for our kids.
I agree about being the protective parent.

I'm on the side of vaccinations only because I'm one of the first Baby Boomers....and I had every one of those diseases listed -- no vaccines. I was lucky. I did get the polio shot and glad I did as I knew people who were crippled for life by it.

I do agree with those who said that epidemics are more likely in the future. My generation spent a lot of time sick. Some lived, some died. And shingles, someone mentioned -- actually, they're targeting my age group first -- we had the actual chicken pox.....and I know plenty of people who now have shingles....thus, I don't see any correlation between a vaccine and the actual disease.

I do think that with the younger generations that it will take a large-scale epidemic of a disease that can kill, cripple, blind, scar or whatever else, to get people to understand the science of vaccines and why they truly extended our current length of life. I won't be around by then, probably, and besides, I'm even exempt from the H1N1 vaccine (at my job which involves youth, I was told that I was not eligible to get the vaccine because of my already exposed immunity -- hmmmph)!! People like myself who, obviously, came through those diseases, were able to carry on and have children. Later survival of the fittest will pick off those whom maybe others thought were "healthy," but were in fact only sheltered from a virus. Viruses are ugly little things unlike bacteria....that's why vaccines are so effective.

At least I had my child immunized, and glad I did. After some of the things I had to go through and what others I know went through or died from, I was so happy as they continued to develop new vaccines.

By the way, I know people keep emphasizing that there shouldn't be multiple follow-up vaccines for certain viruses, but I had measles twice, I had mumps twice, I had everything else at least once, and nearly died at one point. I remember being in a darkened room when I had German measles -- so I wouldn't go blind! I can still remember "seeing" the spots on my eyeballs!

Young parents have no clue what it was like in the "old" days. As an older parent, myself, I've been able to share my personal and family history with my child, so that my grandchildren can be protected. I remember very clearly still when all of us kids lined up at the local public school and received our polio and small pox shots -- yes, they actually gave them at the school. It was a huge deal then.

I do think public schools do have a right -- and a service -- to the public to not accept children who are not immunized. Obviously, it's a parent's right to not do that. Certainly, most kids don't come down with those diseases nowadays (just because they are immunized) -- I remember my poor mom sitting with four kids who would get one illness after another -- in those days you had to have a stay-at-home mom just because a kid was sick every week with something. Oh, the cool baths with baking soda for fevers, and the flus, chicken pox, German measles, mumps, whooping cough, and the list goes on and on.... Now, Darwin's theory applied to us, but then I know of others whom it did not apply....I would not wish that on any parent, but it really does happen. Those of us who came through naturally and did not die or were not harmed (except some of us will get shingles), are evidence of Darwin's theory -- those who died or were disabled in some way, are also evidence of Darwin's theory.

I have a feeling this idea that vaccines are deadly, harmful, etc. will perpetuate, and finally the herd protection will diminish and then as these make a come-back, it will be my generation all over again -- seeing is believing.

The thing I find most disturbing is the lack of scientific information that is dispensed by fervant advocates of non-immunization, and just anecdotal information. God forbid that your children should get ill, become disabled or die from a preventable disease. You can't protect them forever, even though as Cal Nor Wahine said, we become animalistic in trying to protect them. The sad truth is, we can't...not forever.

At least I did my job with my kid, and feel good about that -- no autism, no weird stuff, totally highly intelligent, and all vaccines -- plus, additional ones to travel abroad. Still normal.

I think this is a discussion that will never end until it all starts all over again -- which is too bad, because our generation and the ones before us, died off pretty young. Longevity will definitely take a hit. What we take for granted health-wise now is the result of what other generations before went through -- and often didn't live through.

Whichever side you're on, just keep in mind why our life spans were so much shorter decades and hundreds of years before -- the major reason was due to diseases which are now (for the time being) controlled.

Always interesting to hear those who are younger and how attitudes change. In our day, they were miracles -- nowadays, they seem to be deadly curses. Interesting viewpoints.

P.S. Thanks skbs for the link.

Old 12-03-2009, 04:04 PM

214 posts, read 565,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisteria View Post
I agree about being the protective parent.

I'm on the side of vaccinations only because I'm one of the first Baby Boomers....and I had every one of those diseases listed -- no vaccines. I was lucky. I did get the polio shot and glad I did as I knew people who were crippled for life by it.

I do agree with those who said that epidemics are more likely in the future. My generation spent a lot of time sick. Some lived, some died. And shingles, someone mentioned -- actually, they're targeting my age group first -- we had the actual chicken pox.....and I know plenty of people who now have shingles....thus, I don't see any correlation between a vaccine and the actual disease.

I do think that with the younger generations that it will take a large-scale epidemic of a disease that can kill, cripple, blind, scar or whatever else, to get people to understand the science of vaccines and why they truly extended our current length of life. I won't be around by then, probably, and besides, I'm even exempt from the H1N1 vaccine (at my job which involves youth, I was told that I was not eligible to get the vaccine because of my already exposed immunity -- hmmmph)!! People like myself who, obviously, came through those diseases, were able to carry on and have children. Later survival of the fittest will pick off those whom maybe others thought were "healthy," but were in fact only sheltered from a virus. Viruses are ugly little things unlike bacteria....that's why vaccines are so effective.

At least I had my child immunized, and glad I did. After some of the things I had to go through and what others I know went through or died from, I was so happy as they continued to develop new vaccines.

By the way, I know people keep emphasizing that there shouldn't be multiple follow-up vaccines for certain viruses, but I had measles twice, I had mumps twice, I had everything else at least once, and nearly died at one point. I remember being in a darkened room when I had German measles -- so I wouldn't go blind! I can still remember "seeing" the spots on my eyeballs!

Young parents have no clue what it was like in the "old" days. As an older parent, myself, I've been able to share my personal and family history with my child, so that my grandchildren can be protected. I remember very clearly still when all of us kids lined up at the local public school and received our polio and small pox shots -- yes, they actually gave them at the school. It was a huge deal then.

I do think public schools do have a right -- and a service -- to the public to not accept children who are not immunized. Obviously, it's a parent's right to not do that. Certainly, most kids don't come down with those diseases nowadays (just because they are immunized) -- I remember my poor mom sitting with four kids who would get one illness after another -- in those days you had to have a stay-at-home mom just because a kid was sick every week with something. Oh, the cool baths with baking soda for fevers, and the flus, chicken pox, German measles, mumps, whooping cough, and the list goes on and on.... Now, Darwin's theory applied to us, but then I know of others whom it did not apply....I would not wish that on any parent, but it really does happen. Those of us who came through naturally and did not die or were not harmed (except some of us will get shingles), are evidence of Darwin's theory -- those who died or were disabled in some way, are also evidence of Darwin's theory.

I have a feeling this idea that vaccines are deadly, harmful, etc. will perpetuate, and finally the herd protection will diminish and then as these make a come-back, it will be my generation all over again -- seeing is believing.

The thing I find most disturbing is the lack of scientific information that is dispensed by fervant advocates of non-immunization, and just anecdotal information. God forbid that your children should get ill, become disabled or die from a preventable disease. You can't protect them forever, even though as Cal Nor Wahine said, we become animalistic in trying to protect them. The sad truth is, we can't...not forever.

At least I did my job with my kid, and feel good about that -- no autism, no weird stuff, totally highly intelligent, and all vaccines -- plus, additional ones to travel abroad. Still normal.

I think this is a discussion that will never end until it all starts all over again -- which is too bad, because our generation and the ones before us, died off pretty young. Longevity will definitely take a hit. What we take for granted health-wise now is the result of what other generations before went through -- and often didn't live through.

Whichever side you're on, just keep in mind why our life spans were so much shorter decades and hundreds of years before -- the major reason was due to diseases which are now (for the time being) controlled.

Always interesting to hear those who are younger and how attitudes change. In our day, they were miracles -- nowadays, they seem to be deadly curses. Interesting viewpoints.

P.S. Thanks skbs for the link.

Just an FYI: there has been studies that show that Varicella exposure increases immunity to Herpes Zoster (Shingles). Shingles is believed to occur because certain age groups (50 +) are no longer being exposed to the "wild" strain of Varicella (by young children). The reason that your age group is suffering with shingles is because they no longer have young children in their households to increase exposure.

Many researchers are concerned about the increase in Shingles due to mass vaccination. And this disease of the "old" is now affecting the young. There have been several documented cases of very young children getting Herpes Zoster AFTER receiving the Chicken pox vaccine. So, one can still be affected by shingles even AFTER receiving the chicken pox vaccine.

If you would like more information, do a search (preferably scholarly). . . I wanted to link some articles but my little-one is hanging over my shoulder.

PS. I do not want to enter this debate. . .I do believe that MANY vaccines are beneficial. . .but some are not. The immune system depends on natural infection in order to be efficient. . .and this is the reason why excessive vaccination/ sanitation/antibiotic use is not the way to go.

Also, for those who want a "disease (microbial)-free" world/life, know that this is not possible because we need some of them as much as they need us (i.e, symbiotic relationships). Without them our immune systems become weak. . .and a weakened immune system can result in an otherwise harmless organism becoming pathogens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting