Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-04-2009, 03:35 PM

5,384 posts, read 10,864,824 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 121804 View Post
Thanks for taking the time to post what the ingredients are. Interesting & educational.

Though I am proud I knew what sodium bicarbonate is and why it might be used in a vaccine

To try to get this back to civility, I did see a ticker today on CNN about chicken pox vaccine being linked to helping kids avoid shingles which interestingly enough was being debated on here as being damaging later in life for older adults. I don't have the time to find if it is on the internet or sources, but it may show up in some news channels shortly.

And I also have never thought about "me" getting vaccinated against pertussis as the focus is always so much on the kids.

It's just interesting to study how the vaccines wean over time, why they do, and hence the effectiveness of so much so young. I still will get #3 vaccinated as scheduled due to his/her placement in the family dynamic & having a brother in school who will be bringing home all sorts of fun germs for him/her but I have stopped and thought about it all and ask lots & lots of questions.
I heard this as well.... couldn't find it on CNN but here is another link

Chicken Pox Shot Protects Against Shingles, Too - Health News - Health.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2009, 04:34 PM

11,027 posts, read 6,501,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max's mama View Post
How can anyone say that aluminum, yes the one that we avoid to even use topically on our skin is not a poisonous ingredient to overuse in your child's body?
Aluminum is everywhere. We eat it, we drink it, we breathe it, we bathe in it, and we express it in breastmilk to our babies. We use products every single day that have it. I think it's safe to say that there is no avoiding it whatsoever. According to the Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry, the average human adult consumes 7 to 9 mg (30-40 micrograms) of aluminum each day. This is not considered a dangerous or toxic quantity. Breastmilk alone contains approximately 40 micrograms per liter and infant formula 225 micrograms per liter.

According to www.thinktwice.com, a website devoted to the anti-vaccine cause, the combined amount of aluminum of a child's complete round of CDC-approved vaccines from birth to age 18 months is 5 mg (4925 micrograms) of aluminum. I used their figures because I assume an anti-vaccine parent will trust those numbers best.

Now, let's put 5 mg of aluminum into perspective. A typical dose of antacid medication (Tums, Rolaids) contains 200 mg of aluminum. One slice of processed cheese contains up to 50 mg of aluminum. An average sized pickle contains 5 to 10 mg of aluminum. A serving of food cooked in an aluminum pan contains an extra 4 mg of aluminum on top of whatever amount is already naturally occurring in that particular food. Aluminum cans, aluminum foil, aluminum baking pans ... they all introduce levels of aluminum into our food. Deodordant, toothpaste, shampoo, soap ... it all has aluminum in it. Even if you lived in a sod house and used nothing but rocks for food, bathing, and brushing your teeth you would be exposed to aluminum. It's the world's third most abundant element at the Earth's surface.

So after all of my own self-guided research and comparisons of aluminum quantity in vaccines as well as every day food and medicine items, I have come to the conclusion that nope, aluminum in the quantity that a series of vaccines requires for a child from birth to 18 months is not poisonous.

You can just dismiss my post as hogwash, or you could come back with the results of your own research, and give me more thoughts to consider. The choice is yours. I don't begrudge you your choices, but unless you bring more to the table than "it's poison!" we don't have anything more to discuss. Either way, I'm glad you participated in this thread, because it takes dissenting opinion to make a conversation worthwhile.

Old 12-04-2009, 04:36 PM

11,027 posts, read 6,501,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skbs View Post

Hey! My husband and I just watched that very story on the news not five minutes ago, as I was finishing my above post. Very interesting turn of events on that subject.

Old 12-04-2009, 05:45 PM

5,384 posts, read 10,864,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Cal Wahine View Post
Aluminum is everywhere. We eat it, we drink it, we breathe it, we bathe in it, and we express it in breastmilk to our babies. We use products every single day that have it. I think it's safe to say that there is no avoiding it whatsoever. According to the Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry, the average human adult consumes 7 to 9 mg (30-40 micrograms) of aluminum each day. This is not considered a dangerous or toxic quantity. Breastmilk alone contains approximately 40 micrograms per liter and infant formula 225 micrograms per liter.

According to www.thinktwice.com, a website devoted to the anti-vaccine cause, the combined amount of aluminum of a child's complete round of CDC-approved vaccines from birth to age 18 months is 5 mg (4925 micrograms) of aluminum. I used their figures because I assume an anti-vaccine parent will trust those numbers best.

Now, let's put 5 mg of aluminum into perspective. A typical dose of antacid medication (Tums, Rolaids) contains 200 mg of aluminum. One slice of processed cheese contains up to 50 mg of aluminum. An average sized pickle contains 5 to 10 mg of aluminum. A serving of food cooked in an aluminum pan contains an extra 4 mg of aluminum on top of whatever amount is already naturally occurring in that particular food. Aluminum cans, aluminum foil, aluminum baking pans ... they all introduce levels of aluminum into our food. Deodordant, toothpaste, shampoo, soap ... it all has aluminum in it. Even if you lived in a sod house and used nothing but rocks for food, bathing, and brushing your teeth you would be exposed to aluminum. It's the world's third most abundant element at the Earth's surface.

So after all of my own self-guided research and comparisons of aluminum quantity in vaccines as well as every day food and medicine items, I have come to the conclusion that nope, aluminum in the quantity that a series of vaccines requires for a child from birth to 18 months is not poisonous.

You can just dismiss my post as hogwash, or you could come back with the results of your own research, and give me more thoughts to consider. The choice is yours. I don't begrudge you your choices, but unless you bring more to the table than "it's poison!" we don't have anything more to discuss. Either way, I'm glad you participated in this thread, because it takes dissenting opinion to make a conversation worthwhile.
WOW I am glad you posted all of this information.... I was actually doing some research online but you were very detailed! Fabulous post... to the point and very helpful..... I think when people see long words: aluminum phosphate it is intimidating if you don't realize what you are reading. In terms of the bovine/animal proteins.... from what I have read the virus needs to be PRODUCED and to manufacture the virus they use animal protein to grow the virus but not all of them are actually injected into your child and the Formaldehyde kills the germs.... they don't all get into the actual vaccine .... Made a lot more sense after I researched it.....

Old 12-04-2009, 05:50 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,680,133 times
Quote:
the average human adult consumes 7 to 9 mg (30-40 micrograms) of aluminum each day

the combined amount of aluminum of a child's complete round of CDC-approved vaccines from birth to age 18 months is 5 mg (4925 micrograms) of aluminum
Fantastic post! But I think you have a typo. If 1 milligram = 1000 micrograms, which I think it is (therefore 4925 micrograms ~ 4.925 milligrams ~ 5 milligrams), that bolded number is wrong.

Otherwise, brava!

Old 12-04-2009, 05:55 PM

43,011 posts, read 107,997,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skbs View Post

Fantastic news! I love when a sky-is-falling theory is debunked!

Old 12-04-2009, 05:57 PM

43,011 posts, read 107,997,463 times
Quote:

I'm glad you went to the trouble to explain this. I knew that aluminum is already in our bodies. Too much of anything can be bad, but the amount in an immunization is so small compared to what people expose their children to everyday. If they were really worried about aluminum, they wouldn't allow any of it in their lives. I'm sure there is someone out there that doesn't brush their teeth, wear deoderant, or eat cheese, etc., but they are not the norm for the anti-vaccination group.

Old 12-04-2009, 06:13 PM

6,034 posts, read 10,678,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max's mama View Post
NCW, I think I already engaged myself too much in this topic. How can anyone say that aluminum, yes the one that we avoid to even use topically on our skin is not a poisonous ingredient to overuse in your child's body?
So then don't allow your child to use antiperspirants, hairspray, etc or drink soda of any kind, and for god's sake get in the kitchen now and get rid of all the aluminum pans and utensils!

Old 12-04-2009, 06:20 PM

3,422 posts, read 10,899,950 times
Quote:
Ugh - I got pox in the WORST imaginable places. I feel sorry for myself now just thinking about it ... haha!
You too huh?

Fortunately I did not get many eruptions but the ones I did get - wow - not a fun place to have them.

Old 12-04-2009, 06:28 PM

6,034 posts, read 10,678,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisdol View Post
You too huh?

Fortunately I did not get many eruptions but the ones I did get - wow - not a fun place to have them.
My daughter originally had chicken pox when she was two. She had a very light case of them, but I didn't think anything of it until she came down with them again at age 14. She had an extraordinarily hard time with them because of her age. She had them on the soles of her feet, private areas, and inside her mouth -- everywhere it would be most uncomfortable. The doctor said that because she was so young when she had them, she didn't develop the immunity she needed, and that since she got them later as a teenager, her age made it all the worse on her.

I felt so sorry for her, I wished I could have had them instead of her. If I had known she didn't have the proper immunity I would most definitely have gotten her vaccinated against them. Instead, she had to suffer terribly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting