Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2009, 04:26 PM

371 posts, read 1,255,282 times

Advertisements

I've got 2 toddlers I'd like to enroll in pre school. They only received the Hepatitis B vaccine at birth, but did not receive the normal childhood ones. How have you enrolled your children in school when they want a copy of vaccines? My doctor told us to ask for the 'Exemption from Vaccines" form, yet nobody in this FL board of education, health department or child services seems to have a clue about it.
Help!
(and no, they will not be getting vaccines)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2009, 04:50 PM

2,839 posts, read 9,954,501 times
In Florida, you can go to your local health department and request a religious exemption form. There is no philosophical exemption form in Florida, so assuming you have no medical exemption, you'll have to go with the religious one. Some counties are more of a PITA than others, but they all have access to the form. They are not supposed to ask you what religion you are, or what church you go to, so if they do, simply tell them that you would prefer not to answer (unless, of course, you WOULD prefer to answer).

Old 11-28-2009, 05:10 PM

2,855 posts, read 10,385,949 times
I would think it would also depend on the preschool. I am not in Florida, but most preschools where I live are private institutions. The ones that I sent my kids to required vaccines and I was told it was a very difficult process to get accepted without them.

Old 11-28-2009, 06:28 PM

1,312 posts, read 4,760,841 times
The preschool where my daughter goes does not require immunizations. If you have a problem, you could send them elsewhere, but will have to deal with it once they begin regular school.

Old 11-28-2009, 06:37 PM

14,785 posts, read 23,950,501 times
you are going to have to deal with this once the kids start regular school unless you are going to home school them or private school and I dont think private school will let you in w/o vaccines either .

Old 11-28-2009, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
you are going to have to deal with this once the kids start regular school unless you are going to home school them or private school and I dont think private school will let you in w/o vaccines either .

Public schools have to accept the religious exemption. That is why it exists.

Old 11-28-2009, 06:59 PM

43,011 posts, read 107,605,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TouchOfWhimsy View Post
Public schools have to accept the religious exemption. That is why it exists.
I think it's immoral to use religious exemption when it's not truly a religious belief.

Old 11-28-2009, 07:09 PM

396 posts, read 1,032,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I think it's immoral to use religious exemption when it's not truly a religious belief.
Oh, Please...
And I don't think it's moral, that young bodies have to be festooned with immunizations that weaken an immune system, or can cause what people are calling, "autism"; although I don't think it should be called "autism", because this leaves too much room for argument... I think it should be called, "vaccine overdose syndrome."

Old 11-28-2009, 07:29 PM

43,011 posts, read 107,605,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old biddie View Post
Oh, Please...
I'll rank it right up there with balloon boy's father teaching his children to lie for personal gain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by old biddie View Post
And I don't think it's moral, that young bodies have to be festooned with immunizations that weaken an immune system, or can cause what people are calling, "autism"; although I don't think it should be called "autism", because this leaves too much room for argument... I think it should be called, "vaccine overdose syndrome."
Lobby for changes in the law. Don't hijack religious freedom.

Old 11-28-2009, 07:51 PM

Religious exemption can take many forms, though. If someone believes that God gave them their children, and that they are to keep them from harm, and they truly believe that vaccines are harmful, then there's their religious exemption right there. If someone is a secular humanist who believes in "survival of the fittest," then if they believe that vaccines disrupt the natural pattern of things, there is their religious exemption. (Obviously these are just examples... there are many, many variations on how one's beliefs could be interpreted or explained. Either way, it IS religious freedom.)

Some states have a philosophical exemption to get around the "mandatory" vaccines if one is so inclined, but others have a religious exemption in lieu of that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting