Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2009, 08:53 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilmingtonangel View Post
I just called the lady that owns the lice extracting business and talked to her about 20 minutes. She is going to come over tomorrow evening to go through my daughter's hair so she can go back to school on Thursday. Because of time constraints (I'm a college professor and this week is finals week....so missing work is out of the question), she will have to come back this weekend to go through my hair.
I think you both need to be done at the same time. Otherwise your daughter can catch them off of you again.

Just be prepared to pay for her to do it again on your daughter---and you too maybe.

Fortunately, you will have the holiday break coming up soon. Then you'll have time to do this right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2009, 08:54 AM

412 posts, read 1,229,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I think you both need to be done at the same time. Otherwise your daughter can catch them off of you again.
When she comes back this weekend I am going to get her to check both of us. You are right though, we are going to keep passing it back & forth until we both get treated at the same time! I was just trying to get my daughter back in school before that. She has already missed 15 days of school between 2 episodes of lice and getting the flu back in October. Yikes!

Old 12-08-2009, 08:56 AM

3,086 posts, read 7,611,753 times
You have to follow some specific steps in order to fully rid your household of lice.

First, you have to treat everything at the same time, no putting it off for a day or two.

Second, you have to treat the head again 7-10 days after the first treatment as that's when the eggs will again hatch, whether or not you use a chemical. If you miss even one, they will lay the eggs and you will continue forward with the cycle.

Third, anything and everything your head comes into contact with must be treated. There are three ways to kill lice.
1. Chemical treatments-must be used according to directions with the second treatment on time.

3. High heat. This is why washing and drying is recommended for all things that can be done this way. It's NOT the washing, but the heat in the drying that kills them. If you blow dry your hair, this will aid in the elimination from your head-BUT you have to make sure any that you've merely blown off your head are disposed of and not left to where they can get back on your head. So plan on vacuuming each time you blow dry. Also, vacuuming pulls the lice through high heat and contains them so they cannot get back out to find a head to live on, so vacuum thoroughly anything that cannot be washed. Also, all bedding, pillows, slip covers, clothing (inlcuding coats, hats, scarves and gloves) and stuffed animals that can be washed/dried should be. Brushes and combs should be put through the dishwasher and never shared again.

2. Long term removal from scalp so they can't feed. That means if you don't use chemical treatments you must remove the lice by comb/hand from your head and dispose of them so they cannot get back on your head to live. That also means that anything that cannot be cleaned with high heat must vacuumed or bagged up. That includes things like carpet, furniture, curtains, child car seats, vehicle seats and cloth headboards. If you've got things that cannot be washed like stuffed animals or huge comforters that won't fit in your washer, then close them up in trash bags and put them away for two weeks.

What usually happens is that people treat on the heads and bedding and completely skip the car seats or coats and hats. Or they treat only the person that the lice was found on, when it has to be the entire family. Every head should be checked and anything that's been worn/used in the last week or two must be treated.

Just remember, that all it takes is 1 lice to continue the cycle.

Old 12-08-2009, 10:15 AM

32,922 posts, read 36,316,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypocore View Post
You have to follow some specific steps in order to fully rid your household of lice.

First, you have to treat everything at the same time, no putting it off for a day or two......
Thanks, that saved me some time; I was just typing up something similar.

Make sure that you haven't missed anything like hair ornaments, headphones or bike helmets.

Using full barrier plastic mattress and pillow covers makes bedroom cleanup a bit easier.

Old 12-08-2009, 10:28 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
Quote:
What usually happens is that people treat on the heads and bedding and completely skip the car seats or coats and hats. Or they treat only the person that the lice was found on, when it has to be the entire family. Every head should be checked and anything that's been worn/used in the last week or two must be treated.
Good point. All members of the household should be treated, not just the mother and daughter who show signs of lice.

Furthermore, the mother could be spreading lice to the students at the college where she works, which could expose her to lice again in the future.

This isn't the type of thing to put off due to a busy schedule.

Mother (who was a nurse) always said, "It's not dirty to catch lice. It's dirty to keep lice."

Old 12-08-2009, 10:58 AM

264 posts, read 819,339 times
Quote:

First, you have to treat everything at the same time, no putting it off for a day or two.

Second, you have to treat the head again 7-10 days after the first treatment as that's when the eggs will again hatch, whether or not you use a chemical. If you miss even one, they will lay the eggs and you will continue forward with the cycle.

Third, anything and everything your head comes into contact with must be treated. There are three ways to kill lice.
1. Chemical treatments-must be used according to directions with the second treatment on time.

3. High heat. This is why washing and drying is recommended for all things that can be done this way. It's NOT the washing, but the heat in the drying that kills them. If you blow dry your hair, this will aid in the elimination from your head-BUT you have to make sure any that you've merely blown off your head are disposed of and not left to where they can get back on your head. So plan on vacuuming each time you blow dry. Also, vacuuming pulls the lice through high heat and contains them so they cannot get back out to find a head to live on, so vacuum thoroughly anything that cannot be washed. Also, all bedding, pillows, slip covers, clothing (inlcuding coats, hats, scarves and gloves) and stuffed animals that can be washed/dried should be. Brushes and combs should be put through the dishwasher and never shared again.

2. Long term removal from scalp so they can't feed. That means if you don't use chemical treatments you must remove the lice by comb/hand from your head and dispose of them so they cannot get back on your head to live. That also means that anything that cannot be cleaned with high heat must vacuumed or bagged up. That includes things like carpet, furniture, curtains, child car seats, vehicle seats and cloth headboards. If you've got things that cannot be washed like stuffed animals or huge comforters that won't fit in your washer, then close them up in trash bags and put them away for two weeks.

Just remember, that all it takes is 1 lice to continue the cycle.

fyi, don't blow drying your hair after you have treated it with any of the chemical products....people have actually gone up in flames this way, as these products are extremely flammable.

Old 12-08-2009, 11:11 AM

272 posts, read 295,534 times
Include toys like stuffed animals. As a pre-school teacher we put those type of things in a bag and sealed kept them in there for a month to be sure any newly hatched died off too.

Old 12-08-2009, 12:33 PM

37,121 posts, read 42,189,292 times
We went through this twice when my kids were little so I feel for you. I remember using one of those lice combs on my daughter LONG hair, every day for a week. She hated it. We did have to get a perscription for the second outbreak...I just didn't want to fool around with it.

Old 12-08-2009, 12:47 PM

141 posts, read 429,286 times
Lightbulb Try this...

I know your schedule is crazy but does the nit picker (got a personal laugh frm that one) come back if she doesn't get them all? Before you spend that kind of money take some time and try this:

Mix:
1/3 cup petroleum jelly (any brand as long as it is just the petroleum jelly)
5 Tbls of Lusters Pink Oil (original formula)

It will make a thin pomade apply liberally and comb with a lice comb. If you have the time leave it on over night and recomb in the morning. It will take at least 2 washes to get the excess grease out but it works. My hair is about a qtr of the way down my back and coarse my daughters looked like she had a permanent and was about shoulder length.

I went to a mommy and me sleepover with my then 1 1/2 yr old. When she went back to daycare I got called in and the nurse said she had lice. My first thought was that the lady was crazy, "black people don't get lice...." Yeah well her pediatrician confirmed it and pointed me to a few helpful sites because I was shocked still and knew nothing about lice. I have dry scalp so bad and thought my dandruff was acting up but had apparently gotten a few nits in my hair as well.

Old 12-08-2009, 12:48 PM

16 posts, read 185,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilmingtonangel View Post
About a month ago I discovered head lice on my daughter. We spent about a week and a half trying different treatments and did lots of combing. I also realized a few days into the ordeal that I had it as well. I think I know where we got it from, and we haven't been around that person again. I thought the problem was gone, but a few days ago discovered lice on my daughter's head again. I had someone look at my head, and I have it as well. Most of them are babies, so I am assuming we missed some nits last time, and they have hatched and laid more eggs. It is possible that I never fully got rid of them on my own head the first time. I had to rely on my boyfriend to do the nit-extracting on my head...and he can't even part hair, much less thoroughly get all the nits out!

We have tried Nix (which seems to work the best at killing the live lice), olive oil, tree tea oil, lotions, mouthwash, vinegar. I have tried to pick all of nits out of her hair (several times....this is the tedious awful part!) but every time I look at her head again I find more. I have been washing sheets and blankets daily, and spraying daily, etc. All of her stuffed animals are still tied in plastic bags in her closet from last time. Luckily we have hardwood floors in most rooms but I still vacuum the rugs. So in other words I am doing all of the correct procedures to clean the house.

If anyone has any ideas, please post them! She can't go back to school until all of the nits and lice are gone, and has missed too many days of school because of this problem!
Take the olive oil back out from your cabinet and use it!!! I never had lice until a few years ago, when my neice got it from school and gave it to several other family members!

Like you, I also used Nix and tea tree oil but it didn't work!

I am going to explain how I got rid of them, and it actually isn't too hard, just takes some time!

You only need 4 things to kill lice and the eggs, and it seems like you already have atleast 2 of them:

-OLIVE OIL

-SHOWER CAP

-LICE COMB

-ELECTRONIC LICE COMB <--you can get this at most drug stores for $20 or $25 dollars!

The electric lice comb works wonders, and how it works is you comb it through your girls hair, and it gives tiny little shocks to the lice and paralyzes them (your girl will feel NOTHING!). This makes the lice let go of the hair they are clinging to, and they simply drop off. Do this over the sink so when you are done you can put the paralyzed bugs in a ziploc bag and dispose of them!!!!

Now you only have the eggs left to get rid of! Smother your girls scalp and hair in LIBERAL amounts of olive oil!!! Then have her tie her hair up and cover it with a shower cap! The key is letting the olive oil stay in her hair for atleast a few hours! The longer the better because this will make the eggs MUCH MUCH easier to comb out!!!!

After a few hours start combing through her hair with a lice comb! Do this many times so you won't miss any eggs. The eggs are VERY tiny and look like miniature raindrops!

After this, wash her hair with shampoo! Now, everyday (2 or 3 times a day) for the next week or so, I would brush the electronic robi comb through her hair over the sink! This would release any of the lice that were eggs but you may have missed combing out!!!

I did this and it was the ONLY thing that got rid of them!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting