Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2012, 05:55 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,913,302 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
I started that at 10. Granted I had a tv in my room at 8, I was never a huge tv watcher, I usually sat in my room and drew or decorated it or played with make-up or my hair or whatever. I stayed like that till I moved out. I had a mini fridge in my room at 18 and stocked it full of stuff and only left to shower, use he bathroom, or leave. Even when I had a cell phone, laptop and tv in my room (16+) I still never played much with those in my room, I would spend goes cutting out pictures from magazines and putting them up in my room, organizing my closet. Rearranging my room.
My mom tried to get me to spend more time with the family but after 18 she quit and gave up since she could no longer take my electronics.
My mom even tried shutting the Internet off, I'd jut turn around and tether my blackberry to my laptop, which I both owned and run it off my Internet from my phone, nothing she could do.
Were you paying for your phone and internet? As I recall, your mom and grandmom paid for your phone.

Old 12-01-2012, 06:08 PM

6,190 posts, read 7,971,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Were you paying for your phone and internet? As I recall, your mom and grandmom paid for your phone.
Till I was like 20, I got tmobile and then sprint all on my own.

Old 12-01-2012, 06:10 PM

But this isn't about me. I was just chiming in like everyone else did.

Old 12-01-2012, 06:32 PM

30,523 posts, read 16,217,604 times
original post was in 2009. The kid would be 19 now-wonder how she turned out.

Old 12-01-2012, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post
original post was in 2009. The kid would be 19 now-wonder how she turned out.
Probably normal like every other teen who goes through the stage of always being in their room.

Old 12-01-2012, 07:36 PM

885 posts, read 1,881,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
I'm kind of wondering if when you were a teen you were anxious to spend a lot of time with your parents. And siblings. You know, was everybody sitting together on the couch sharing a big bowl of buttered popcorn watching "The Cosby Show" saying, "Hey! They're just like us!"

"Mom I have to go to the bathroom. Save my place."
Nah, it wasn't like you're trying to make it seem like. We were a big family of 8 and just always were hanging out with each other.

Isn't that the point in life? To go through it with your loved ones... friends or family..

Old 12-01-2012, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazah1080 View Post
Nah, it wasn't like you're trying to make it seem like. We were a big family of 8 and just always were hanging out with each other.

Isn't that the point in life? To go through it with your loved ones... friends or family..
Yes but do you not remember being a teen?

I stayed up in my room because I knew if I hung out down stairs I was opening myself up to be asked to do something or clean something, subjected to painful questions about my social life and boys, or told to take out the ear buds or put down my phone.

Then again you aren't very normal now so I don't know what would lead me to believe me to think that you were normal as a teen.

Old 12-02-2012, 04:49 AM

885 posts, read 1,881,585 times
hah, I do remember being a teen. Sure there were times I'd be in my room, but not in my room alone, avoiding my family. Homework time was spent around a huge table with at least 2 or 3 siblings. When I was bored, there'd always be one other person who wanted to go do something. The internet did exist but obviously not in its current form.

Old 12-02-2012, 10:42 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,692,979 times
I think it's normal --- your room is like your refuge. You have a lot of thinking you like to do, sometimes the noise of the rest of the house interferes. Sometimes you might just want to read a book, even do homework.

In my opinion, it's just part of growing up -- you get ready to leave the nest in steps. Plus fast growing and new hormones makes one sleepier. When you're growing 4-6 inches in one year, it's tiring.

Old 12-02-2012, 02:19 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,855,774 times
I did the same at 14...time to begin the letting go from mom's apron strings...

Please, allow her this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by momoftwins95 View Post
Hi,

I am the mom of 14 year old twins. A boy and a girl. My daughter likes to stay in her room and text, listen to music, go on the computer and hang in her room. She comes down and we'll talk for like 10 minutes then back up to her room. I ask her if she wants to watch a movie with us and she says no. I've asked her if she is sad, etc and she says she is fine. She just likes to hang in her room. If I ask her to go shopping, she'll come with me. She sometimes goes to the mall with her friends. She'll sometimes go to a friends house. She does have a trip she is going on during April vacation with the school and she wants to go. She's a good kid. She gets A's and B's on her report card and she already knows, as of right now, she wants to go to Berkley College of Music. She is taking guitar lessons. When she does come down she talks a little and laughs a little. I try to include her in what I do. Like make supper. Make cookies. I ask her if she wants to play a game and she says no.

My question is: Is this kind of typical for a 14 year old girl? I know other kids are outgoing and always out.

In a way, I like her home because I know where she is. We live in a small city and there are trouble areas with gangs and shootings so I like to know where she is. I'm just worried that I'm not doing a good enough job raising her. I don't know what else to do to get her to hang out downstairs.

Thanks in advance for your replies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting