Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2009, 08:30 AM

214 posts, read 565,183 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tnt-User View Post
Does it occur to anyone that money probably has the most germs out of anything.(BTW I eat stuff off the ground too. If it's been sitting for less than 10 minutes and tastes fine then so be it.I think people freak on soap and hand sanitizer way to much.I'm considered very germy by the few shocked peers that find I take showers every 5 days(pretend I didn't say that) .)
Yes this is true. . .my sister worked for the fed and the stories that she would tells about money that they received was not very pleasant to say the least. And she acquired a few hand infections while there. . .

But I think cell phones and computers are some of the worst. My SO is always on his Blackberry. . .work matters take precedence over everything. So, he is constantly checking and handling his phone . . .even while eating.

PS. regarding your "habits": I do not think that you are doing too many things different from the individuals in the study . So consider yourself lucky. . .your level of CRP is probably less than the rest of Americans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2009, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yodi View Post
I think that's true. We have 3 dogs and I let my child eat things that fall on the floor, as long as there is no dog hair on them (yuck!). I understand your concern for parasites though, I've seen the show that you are talking about . I've never been into hand sanitizers, mainly because they dry out my skin but I have recently heard things about them possibly causing more harm then good.

There are certain things that really gross me out, such as those mini car grocery carts at the grocery store (especially during flu season) or kids with snot running all over the place sharing toys with my dd, but overall I'm not much of a germaphobe. And I do let my dd ride in those cars because in all honestly, I'm much more afraid of her melting down then I am of germs.

Yeah, these days we have to choose our poison. . .and I am no germaphobe but parasites almost send me to that extreme. . . even though I enjoy seeing them, just don't want them inhabiting me or my love-ones.

Old 12-11-2009, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcats View Post
The funny thing is what things people consider "germy" and freak out about and what they don't think about as much.

I'm pretty sure that a Cheerio falling on a dry floor and being eaten by a 2 year old is pretty safe, not even worth worrying about in the least. I'm sure there are plenty more germs on the household phone, keyboard, and remote control than on a floor. And the kinds of germs that are associated with human mouths and fingers are far more likely to cause infection / illness than activities that involve dirt or germs from other species. I'd rather lick a popsicle that has been licked by a dog than one licked by another human! I'd rather be bitten by a dog than a human too.

It makes intuitive sense that if the human immune system expects to be up against germs, and isn't, that it may not develop correctly.

But I also think that we mistake how well we actually "disinfect" our environments as opposed to disgusting-times-past. I've got cats and dogs running all over my house and I doubt that if you swabbed my floor and some clean-freak's floor that there would be substantial differences in what grew in the petri dish. A few minutes after a bleach mop, you're right back where you were before.
I agree. Your statement makes me think about my mom. Boy does she "disinfect". I am talking about adding bleach to everything, including her dish water--talk about the chemical fumes!! And she wonders why she suffers with asthma. . .

But she and her household--which includes my dad and brother--are always coming down with something. She probably thinks that I am crazy about my stance on disease. . .but I think that she is extra crazy for her lack of diligence toward her immune system and organs. I feel that THIS is the reason why they have so many health problems. She swears that it is not her fault and that they got the short end of the stick. WOW, 3 people pulling the same stick

Old 12-11-2009, 01:27 PM

141 posts, read 429,421 times
I think every child in the US that wasn't held continuously from birth to five should have eaten enough germs to last a lifetime. Bet you've said on of these or it's equivalent

No baby get that out of your mouth!

Eew don't eat that..

Did you just put that on your face...it's dirty baby!!

No doggy does not want a kiss.

WHERE did that come from..

I'm no germaphobe but I do have limits...

Old 12-11-2009, 03:17 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,779,335 times
A couple in my little one's playgroup are infectious disease MD's. Their opinion is that the more the kids are exposed to the better. There are common-sense limitations, of course, but no panic over food off the floor or dirt in a skinned knee.

Old 12-12-2009, 12:25 AM

692 posts, read 1,503,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
A couple in my little one's playgroup are infectious disease MD's. Their opinion is that the more the kids are exposed to the better. There are common-sense limitations, of course, but no panic over food off the floor or dirt in a skinned knee.

I agree 100%!! My son's pulmonologist told me to take him around LOTS of animals before he turned 2 to help him avoid lifelong asthma(he was a 3 pounder, RSV positive, and had a pneumothorax at birth)...he was asthma waiting to happen 2 cats, 2 dogs, a rabbit, a guinea pig,trips to any petting zoo I could find, and 6 years later and he never developed asthma. He still has chronic pneumonia(1-2/yr) in the lung that suffered the pneumothorax, but he should outgrow that one....and lower his risk of heart disease while he is at it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting