U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2009, 06:57 AM

2,080 posts, read 4,547,443 times

Advertisements

I'm not sure if I should ask this in parenting or education, so I will start here.

I have been asked by a friend to help her 6 year old learn some sight words. He has some issues going on, I already know that, so I am not looking for comments on that aspect.

I am looking for techniques to help him retain sight words. He has flash cards. Anyone have any helpful tidbits that worked?

Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2009, 07:04 AM

25,906 posts, read 39,722,849 times
Repetition is key. Flash cards are helpful, but so is reading so the child can see the word in context. My son is five and loves the Dr. Seuss books right now. Dr. Seuss and similar books help a lot because the child can anticipate the words because of the silly rhymes and pictures. Highlights magazine has a little story every month with simple words. Some of them have tiny pictures above a few words, which are repeated throughout the story, so that the child can recognize them every time.

If you read books together, point to the words as you read. If you want to stick with just flash cards, use the word in a sentence. My daughter used a see it-say it-write it-read it approach in school.

Old 12-10-2009, 08:19 AM

705 posts, read 1,645,891 times
I label everything in the house...not just sight words, everything. Index cards. chair table door light eggs bananas popcorn....the list is endless.

Old 12-10-2009, 08:33 AM

24,851 posts, read 33,310,524 times
repetition. I use flash cards, and have him read books that emphasize the words. My son picked them up pretty quickly.

Old 12-10-2009, 09:27 AM

23,659 posts, read 25,973,082 times
Depending on the child, some kids find it helpful to include a tactile approach (tracing the words with their fingers etc)...

Old 12-10-2009, 09:48 AM

2,830 posts, read 9,758,303 times
My 5 year old does sight words with flash cars. We started with 7 words and did then every night before bed and then once he knew all those we would add 7 more. It has worked great, he is now up to almost 45 words in a matter of 2 or 3 months.
Repetition is KEY!!

Old 12-10-2009, 10:10 AM

23,659 posts, read 25,973,082 times
Try giving him a page of text (in a clear font - doesn't much matter what it says) and a highlighter. Let him highlight every instance of a specific sight word he can find (kind of like a word search)....reward him for finding a certain number of them (or all of them)....Some kids respond better with more activity/physical involvement....they are just different learners. Plus, most kids LOVE to highlight!

Old 12-10-2009, 10:11 AM

536 posts, read 1,779,139 times
There are books out there (can't remember name or how many in the series but you shouldn't have trouble finding them), that are full of sight words. Each page has a simple sentence that contains one or two sight words. And these words are continuously repeated on each page. The books get a little harder as you go on to each new book. Our son seems to be picking them up pretty quick.

Simple stuff. I see a brown bear. I see a green frog etc.

Old 12-10-2009, 10:26 AM

5,384 posts, read 10,279,493 times
Have the child make the word out of playdough...

use letter magnets on the fridge to spell...

tape the words on a wall and make it a WORD WALL- add more as they come....

books with repetition so the child can memorize the text and "read it" himself...

use one to one ratio- tap the word with your finger (do not slide and do not tap for mulitple syl- One word=One Tap)...

play a game with the words- word BINGO or something- play Boggle to find sight words....

Also make sure the child HAS all of his letter sounds- he might not.... you can teach him "A" "A" Apple Apple a a a (the letter sound)... "B" "B" Bear Bear b b b(the letter b sound)... "C" "C" Cat Cat k k k sound... so on and so forth until you finish Z....

Rhyme- Start with an ending sound- "-op" and have several letters to play with it- have him make H-op (hop), P-op (pop), T-op (top)... and other words...

Old 12-10-2009, 10:47 AM

3,842 posts, read 9,936,148 times
Labeling and flashcards, but dependant on his issues, those may not be effective tools. Is there a speech/language pathologist at his school that his mom can talk to in order to get some ideas?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting