Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2009, 12:34 PM

5,384 posts, read 10,868,442 times

Advertisements

With today's economy it can be difficult for a family to go out and do things. Our budget is not what it once was...My husband got a paycut this year (as a lot of you might have experienced as well) and I stay home at the moment with my two kids (going back to work in about a year or two). I try very hard to keep my kids active and provide learning experiences through outings as a family. We were able to do this much easier in previous years.

At Christmas time we enjoy using that break to go out with the kids- movies, dinner, museums.... Fill their time home with fun activities bonding and making memories. This year it might not be as easy to do that! We do try and search for free and very low cost activites now... I clip coupons and take advantage of festivals and things the children (5 and 7) might enjoy. There is a Dollar Movie Theater- where the entire family can go to the movies for $8... and of course I pack a snack in my purse (shhhhhh). Festivals are more common in warmer months and our weather has now switched to FREEZING temps and whipping wind (I am not a COLD weather person). We do have a free ice skating rink in our area though I would brave the frigid temps for a bit to visit.

Anyway- I am just wondering what you all do for fun family entertainment while trying to stick with a budget. Maybe we all can get new and exciting ideas- while saving money in the process....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2009, 12:43 PM

2,884 posts, read 5,931,696 times
Pond + ducks + old bread.

Chalk is cheap, you can usually get buckets of the stuff at the dollar store. Take it up to the playground.

Indoors, get a group together and play games. Many games don't need fancy boards and pieces. Older kids might enjoy role-playing games, again, no expensive stuff needed.

Imagination is the most powerful and rewarding tool you have.

Old 12-11-2009, 12:47 PM

141 posts, read 429,394 times
Local Libraries - Budget cuts across teh nation are hurting our libraries but many still offer great programs...story telling, puppet shows, arts & crafts etc.

City Sponsored Events - I work for a small city and they offer things such as Seasonal parties and Home & Holiday Light tours

Check Craigslist for PROMOTED events (we have seen the CL problems lately) I would only try an event that is sponsored or open to large groups.

Lastly and odd resource but one to be appreciated:

Pediatrician's Office - The receptionists get many people who feel it is easier to pass on info the old fashioned way - through word of mouth. Call and and see if they have anything posted or if they have been told about local events.

Old 12-11-2009, 12:54 PM

11,027 posts, read 6,506,057 times
I second libraries ... it's always fun for kids to just go, pick out a book, and flop out in the cozy little nooks they provide to just read away. Plus, as Unincorporated Resident said, they still have some great programs.

Check with your local Parks Dept. They usually have year-round programs for families that cost nothing more than a few bucks and are actually free most of the time. Bird watching, nature hikes, arts and crafts, etc.

If you have a dollar store, give each child a budget of a few dollars and give them a goal: buy the items to have a bake off; buy enough craft supplies to make a project or two; buy socks and underwear to take to the local shelter.

Host a scavenger hunt in your own house on a rainy day!

There are some amazingly creative parents at this board - you came to the right place and will soon be packed with ideas.

Old 12-11-2009, 12:57 PM

3,086 posts, read 7,614,645 times
The days before Christmas when they are out of school we spend time cooking, watching movies at home, playing games (board, video and computer). If we really need time out of the house we might wander the toy aisles at various stores, drive through the area to see lights on display, head to McDonald's or Chick fil A to play or if the weather is nice we head to a park.

After Christmas is pretty easy because they have new stuff to keep them interested. Plus the day after is my third daughter's birthday so we have birthday goings on that day. We might hit up the dollar movies as well and out to eat once, but that's about it as far as spending money.

Of course there's the library and book stores to browse through. If it wasn't the holidays we'd spend time wandering around the toy aisles for lots of time. haha

We just make most of our fun at home these days!

Old 12-11-2009, 01:09 PM

3,422 posts, read 10,903,644 times
Our local YWCA has a toy library. You might want to see if you have a similar program in your area. They used to come to our old MOPS group meetings once a month, but they also had a couple of permanent locations with hours when you could come and return/borrow toys. Something "new" can be exciting and in a week or two when its not so "new" anymore, you can return it and pick out something else. (and its not taking up room in your house).

Old 12-11-2009, 01:11 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,455,426 times
My kids are older but a beautiful and challenging holiday puzzle (one that takes several days to complete) is fun....

Old 12-11-2009, 01:18 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,078,069 times
we have a great indoor pool on Homestread here in Chapel Hill. For $5 we can go swimming for an afternoon

rent videos from the library
lots of churches are having musicals this time of year

shop at a consignment store since garage stores are not to be found
have a scavenger hunt or I spy game in a dollar store but be mindful to respect other shoppers and don't remove merchandise from the shelves
drive around town to see christmas lights

and something we always do this time of year is weed out old clothes and forgotten toys before any new ones are allowed in

I'm just real careful not to let them watch too much tv or computer gazing since they are out of school and sometimes bored.
We are gonna have some nice days next week and I will put my kids to work picking up limbs from the recent storms

Old 12-11-2009, 01:35 PM

5,384 posts, read 10,868,442 times
I never knew Craigslist had activites! I am very curious now....

Puzzels are great ideas... my kids love puzzels....

We do belong to the Y and am betting we are there often the week of Christmas for entertainment....

I will have to check out what is going on at the Library too...

Very good ideas.... Please keep them coming! I am sure I am not the only one who is finding this helpful!

Old 12-11-2009, 02:24 PM

917 posts, read 2,948,104 times
Card games- very cheap and endless varieties. By the time we were 8 & 6, my parents had taught my brother and I to play Bridge (admittedly not the most popular game) and we'd have Bridge night regularly. We were allowed to drink grape juice in wine glasses and after you buy the deck of cards, it's free. There are loads of kid friendly games as well (go fish, Uno).

Board games are great too, although they seem to be really expensive now. Anything you do as a family is important because time is more important than money in the long run as long as the necessities are taken care of. When you make it into a special event (Game Night), the kids will not even think about the fact that you are spending little to no money.

We also would rent movies from the local library for 50 cents and have family movie night. We all took turns picking out movies and it was usually fun too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting