Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2009, 08:05 PM

3,769 posts, read 8,795,598 times

Advertisements

Here we go again - - - -
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2009, 09:32 PM

1,571 posts, read 2,812,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StilltheSame View Post
Here we go again - - - -
LOL yeah I posted it somewhere it but it got moved here. Oh well...

Old 12-17-2009, 11:53 AM

4,500 posts, read 12,336,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureBrennanDad View Post
TheViking85, I will disagree with you on the statement that spanking is violence. I agree that some kids will be bad no matter if the are spanked or not. I raised my son by not spanking however if I felt that he would have needed one I would not have been opposed to doing it. I believe that spanking (not abuse) is an effect way of discipline for kids. If the child shows no regards for others than a little pain on the backside I think could be effective in showing that there are consequences to ones actions and sometimes it hurts a little. I was spanked and actually remember having to get my own switch when I was younger and in no way would I ever think it is right to use an object to hit a child but the hand is enough to get the point across. What I think we have in alot of parents today whether they are spankers or not is a lack of follow through, parents will threaten to ground, take things away, spank or whatever but then they change their mind and that is teaching kids that most likely all they will get is a lecture and with short attention spans they can handle that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
I totally agree. There is big difference between violence and discipline. Every child needs discipline and there isn't a formula of parenting that will work on every child. Some kids will respond very well to lower order punishments (never have met nor will I ever meet a human that did not require punishment for transgressions in youth) but others need a heavier hand. Two siblings under the same roof by the same parents can have wildly different needs and completely different results from the same parenting - why would anyone think that there is a single "right way" or that a practice that has been part of human culture since pre-history is always wrong? (Even if the U.N., in all its wisdom, says it is so)

If your child is telling you he or she needs corporal punishment, not much else will suffice.
From my experience, what children need is attention. Some need more than others, but spending time with your kids (and I don't mean one day during the weekend) is the key to a healthy and good childhood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBMallory View Post
Spanking has its place, especially with a threat when in public. Usually all it takes is a "do we need to go outside to the car?" And they know what that means. My oldest only turns 3 tomorrow lol.
For one, I don't want my children being afraid of me, so threatening them isn't on the cards. Hardly seems the best way to form a good bond between people either.

I think a good rule to go by is what you'd done if it was an adult. You don't bend over a grown man of woman and spank them if they do something unacceptable, so why do it to a child who might not even know why what they're doing is wrong.

Explain to them why what they're doing is wrong, not just a "because I said so", tread a child with the respect you'd show a grown up, be consistent (if something isn't allowed, it isn't allowed.), and be willing to admit it if you're wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mississippimagnolia View Post
We do discipline our children using natural consequences for inappropriate behavior. But hitting kids to make them behave just doesn't make sense to me.
X2

Old 12-17-2009, 01:19 PM

4,267 posts, read 6,180,273 times
Interesting: Spanking and Deviate Behaviors: Link Between Physical Punishment and Risky Sexual Behaviors | Suite101.com

Old 12-17-2009, 04:57 PM

3,387 posts, read 6,624,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureBrennanDad View Post
TheViking85, I will disagree with you on the statement that spanking is violence. I agree that some kids will be bad no matter if the are spanked or not. I raised my son by not spanking however if I felt that he would have needed one I would not have been opposed to doing it. I believe that spanking (not abuse) is an effect way of discipline for kids. If the child shows no regards for others than a little pain on the backside I think could be effective in showing that there are consequences to ones actions and sometimes it hurts a little. I was spanked and actually remember having to get my own switch when I was younger and in no way would I ever think it is right to use an object to hit a child but the hand is enough to get the point across. What I think we have in alot of parents today whether they are spankers or not is a lack of follow through, parents will threaten to ground, take things away, spank or whatever but then they change their mind and that is teaching kids that most likely all they will get is a lecture and with short attention spans they can handle that.
I agree FULLY!

I was spanked on occasion as a child, and after one particualrly nasty event (totally my fault mind you) in which I was spanked 5 times, by 5 different people; I never needed the spankings again. I had learned that there were serious consequences to my actions, and that if I did a bad thing, a bad thing would happen to me.

IMO, not too many kids fully grasp that concept today, and I believe it is due in part to the lack of corporal punishment in parenting.

Old 12-17-2009, 05:10 PM

1,571 posts, read 2,812,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cav Scout wife View Post
IMO, not too many kids fully grasp that concept today, and I believe it is due in part to the lack of corporal punishment in parenting.
Reminds me of a teenage in high school, what I heard him saying once in front of his peers. That his parents can't touch him or else he will call the cops on them if they ever do. That kid was there smiling (ok I admit also doing this to my father when I was 13 not knowing, did got his action but oh well)
Well not sure about a teenager, that would be embarrassing and it can be late too (very slim chance a teen would change right away). They're not exactly kids at ages 13-17 (at 18, you're legal age already).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting