U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2009, 05:54 AM

29,204 posts, read 51,623,763 times

Advertisements

New York (CNN) – An American father said he hopes to be bringing his 9-year-old son home from Brazil on Thursday after a long international custody battle that has involved U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton and many Brazilian courtrooms.

A Brazilian court on Wednesday ordered that the boy, Sean Goldman, be returned to the custody of his father in the United States. The father, David Goldman, spoke to CNN's "American Morning" on Thursday shortly after his plane touched down in Brazil.

U.S. dad says he hopes to bring son home – amFIX - CNN.com Blogs
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2009, 10:28 AM

47,528 posts, read 65,187,428 times
I don't know why people don't give a little thought to these international issues before they marry a foreigner.

Of course custody issues will be a problem in many of these international families. I don't really see why it's so much in the news. Nothing like getting the governments involved over one's own poor choices.

Old 12-21-2009, 05:15 AM

3,269 posts, read 9,403,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I don't know why people don't give a little thought to these international issues before they marry a foreigner.

Of course custody issues will be a problem in many of these international families. I don't really see why it's so much in the news. Nothing like getting the governments involved over one's own poor choices.
It's in the news because the mother who took him is dead. And the father still can't get his son back.

Old 12-21-2009, 08:16 AM

47,528 posts, read 65,187,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obrero View Post
It's in the news because the mother who took him is dead. And the father still can't get his son back.
I know but he should have understood something about the different notions of "family" and that in some cultures, extended families mean more than they do in the American culture.

I think people should consider these potential problems before they marry, some in-laws -- extended family in a different country, many miles away who may not like being left out of a child's life.

Old 12-24-2009, 04:05 AM

2,830 posts, read 9,756,005 times
He is now with his dad and will be on a plane BACK to the US within hours!!!!!!!!!

Congrats to the family!!!! Just in time for Christmas, what a WONDERFUL gift!!!!

Old 12-24-2009, 05:34 AM

4,502 posts, read 12,740,854 times
I'm just so happy for the family. This is great holiday news!

Old 12-24-2009, 06:15 AM

897 posts, read 2,302,861 times
This is wonderful news- just in time for Christmas- i just hope the child will be ok in the long run!!

Old 12-24-2009, 06:47 AM

4,195 posts, read 14,528,201 times
Am very glad this story had a happy ending - it's a shame Sean was paraded in front of the consulate like he was as that had to have been traumatic for him when his grandparents c/h easily turned him over privately, thru a back door, w/o media, photographers etc but last reports the boy was smiling and talking to his father and happy to be going home (although no doubt he'll have mixed emotions after 5 long years).

Old 12-24-2009, 07:10 AM

10,429 posts, read 5,256,849 times
His Brazilian family ought to be ashamed of themselves for stretching this out for so many years and then, in the end - just as Hopes said - unnecessarily parading him past the media to enter the building while he clutched his own luggage. What selfish a-holes. I hope and pray that his transition will be smooth and that he and his father rebuild a wonderful relationship.

Shame on Brazil for dragging their heels on what was a clear-cut case of their own government beaking the Hague Convention.

Old 12-24-2009, 07:13 AM

13,178 posts, read 26,705,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honeycrisp View Post
Am very glad this story had a happy ending - it's a shame Sean was paraded in front of the consulate like he was as that had to have been traumatic for him when his grandparents c/h easily turned him over privately, thru a back door, w/o media, photographers etc but last reports the boy was smiling and talking to his father and happy to be going home (although no doubt he'll have mixed emotions after 5 long years).
That was the biggest publicity stunt to try and garner world sympathy for the kidnappers...ugh, I had some compassion for them as well but not after seeing that
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting