Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2009, 03:14 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,701,121 times

Advertisements

I feel sorry for the kids who are angry about the whole Santa thing. Everybody's different, so none of us react the same way to the same thing. There's no telling why some people think Santa is harmless fun and others think it's a cruel lie.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2009, 04:34 PM

3,422 posts, read 10,904,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post

So is anybody else feeling betrayed by their parents because they "lied" about Santa or is my son just weird?
No I feel fine about it.

I remember moving to an apartment at age 8 and my grandfather gave me this elaborate story about Santa being able to manipulate the laws of physics to get through the window. I had already started having my doubts by then, and I am pretty sure by age 9, I was "on to them". I never remember being upset about it at the time and am not now.

Our parents have plenty of other ways to screw up our lives. IMO if the Santa myth is the worst thing we ever do to our kids, they did pretty well.

Old 12-20-2009, 04:41 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,304,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
I resented my own father not letting me believe in anything fun either.

So is anybody else feeling betrayed by their parents because they "lied" about Santa or is my son just weird?
You resented your father because of something that he did to you.

You son feels betrayed because you lied (no need for "'s, you lied) to him.

If he's weird, maybe you are weird too

Old 12-20-2009, 04:45 PM

3,769 posts, read 8,801,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisdol View Post
Our parents have plenty of other ways to screw up our lives. IMO if the Santa myth is the worst thing we ever do to our kids, they did pretty well.

Really good point.

Old 12-20-2009, 04:52 PM

1,817 posts, read 6,859,728 times
1 vote for weird. Hey where is the poll?

I'd tell him to grow up and get over it. "Santa" is about the spirit of giving without expecting recognition. It's not about a fictitious entity IMHO as much as it is about the spirit of giving.

Old 12-20-2009, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by misplaced1 View Post
I'd tell him to grow up and get over it. "Santa" is about the spirit of giving without expecting recognition. It's not about a fictitious entity IMHO as much as it is about the spirit of giving.

What better way to teach children about giving than to give them a bunch of stuff?

Old 12-20-2009, 05:03 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,458,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post

What better way to teach children about giving than to give them a bunch of stuff?
Well yeah...if your kids are only on the receiving end, then obviously that doesn't work too well....if, on the other hand you teach that there is joy in giving as much as receiving, then it actually does work. Or, if you'd rather just spend the holidays sitting, grousing about traditions other people enjoy and being cynical, well, if you find that is a better teaching tool, then more power to you.

Old 12-20-2009, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Well yeah...if your kids are only on the receiving end, then obviously that doesn't work too well....if, on the other hand you teach that there is joy in giving as much as receiving, then it actually does work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by misplaced1 View Post
"Santa" is about the spirit of giving without expecting recognition. It's not about a fictitious entity IMHO as much as it is about the spirit of giving.
Maybe you know a different Santa myth than I do, but in mine Santa gives, kids take. Maybe there's a plate of cookies but the questions are "what do you want for Christmas" and "what did you get for Christmas".

Quote:
Or, if you'd rather just spend the holidays sitting, grousing about traditions other people enjoy and being cynical, well, if you find that is a better teaching tool, then more power to you.
I'm sure there are other options besides 'lie to kids' and 'sit and grouse'

Old 12-20-2009, 05:59 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,458,432 times
Yes...we could, I suppose, sit home on Christmas, watching CNN and discussing the inequities of the world. The point is there are many ways to live one's life and raise one's children, so what's it to you if someone chooses something different than you might?

Either way, we are getting off topic. The OP asked about a situation with her son and if others felt betrayed or angry with their parents regarding Santa Clause. I enjoyed the magical feeling and so did my kids. If you felt lied to or that your parents were cruel for perpetuating the charm of the story then do feel free to elaborate.

Old 12-20-2009, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Yes...we could, I suppose, sit home on Christmas, watching CNN and discussing the inequities of the world.
That would be ONE of the vast other options available. Not one of my top ten that'd I pick but it is an option.

Quote:
The point is there are many ways to live one's life and raise one's children, so what's it to you if someone chooses something different than you might?

Quote:
Either way, we are getting off topic. The OP asked about a situation with her son and if others felt betrayed or angry with their parents regarding Santa Clause. I enjoyed the magical feeling and so did my kids. If you felt lied to or that your parents were cruel for perpetuating the charm of the story then do feel free to elaborate.
Don't think they were cruel. Don't think it was necessary either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting