Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2010, 10:09 AM

526 posts, read 1,003,281 times

Advertisements

My son started Tae Kwan Do when he was 3 (now 5) and it has been great for him. Not only has it enforced discipline and confidence but it has also helped develop his coordination and memory. He has needed to memorize 19 and 21 step "forms" and to do so he has had to really learn to pay attention. The Korean he is learning doesn't hurt either! I would say that it isn't really a social activity though, but rather a solitary discipline. We have been able to fit in soccer in the spring and fall and that it more of a social sport.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2010, 10:27 AM

1,142 posts, read 2,816,166 times
Once kids reach 3 or 4, they are definately ready for karate! Learning the basics at that age prepares them for the tougher skills later on. Most of it is play at that age anyway.

My son was autistic and his therapists and I thought it was a great idea to start him in ATA Tae Kwon Do when he was 5. He is now 6, no longer autistic but still has some social problems that karate has really helped him with. It has also taught him to control his own body, focus and to be more responsible. Half of his class time is learning moves, the other half is group play. Perfect for his age.

I think karate teaches kids to work with others but to also respect others and to develop their own strengths. Plus my son loves it!

I started my 13 y.o. daughter in karate as well, at her request. She saw what it has done for my son and became interested. She also started a year ago and though she is older, she is learning a lot.

Plus it is so cute to watch them at the younger ages just starting out trying to do all those kicks and chops!

Old 02-28-2010, 10:46 AM

2,856 posts, read 10,433,997 times
My son started when he was 4 and he loved it!!

Old 02-28-2010, 02:48 PM

1,688 posts, read 4,299,513 times

YouTube - Kenpo Karate Kids Yellow Belt Practice www.karatefire.com

There are many types/forms of Karate. Kenpo is the one I chose for my son. He was 5. I can't tell the ages of these kids but the young one looks about 4 maybe.
In kenpo there is not a big push on the white gi with my experience. A gi ( pronounced "gee") is the traditionl dress associated with marital arts. My son wore a black gi which was really easy to take care of as opposed to white. The class could also wear black t-shirts in place of the gi. In most cases you need to pay for the belts that are earned. When looking for a class ask about these things (class belt certificates should be free).
When I started researching Kenpo I found out it's history and the diversity of change it has under gone and it's relationship to the other disciplines and that's what make me decide on Kenpo.
There are 3 branches of Kenpo.

Old 02-28-2010, 04:36 PM

1,148 posts, read 3,739,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highway29south View Post
Once kids reach 3 or 4, they are definately ready for karate! Learning the basics at that age prepares them for the tougher skills later on. Most of it is play at that age anyway.

My son was autistic and his therapists and I thought it was a great idea to start him in ATA Tae Kwon Do when he was 5. He is now 6, no longer autistic but still has some social problems that karate has really helped him with. It has also taught him to control his own body, focus and to be more responsible. Half of his class time is learning moves, the other half is group play. Perfect for his age.
What a great post! I have an almost 4 year old son in the spectrum and was reading this thread out of curiosity. I think in a couple of years we'll start him with a martial art, it really helped me when I was a kid.

Old 03-01-2010, 03:05 PM

890 posts, read 2,785,764 times
My son was 8 when he started Tae Kwon Do. He is shy around other kids, and then one summer day, he complained to me that he was "bored."

I brought him to the studio and "we" both sighed up for the White Belt class. 2 months later, we completed out Yellow Belt.

I then quit due to schedule conflict being after work, but he became accustomed and continues.

He just got his Red Belt III and will be taking his Black Belt in April. He is 10 now.

Old 03-01-2010, 03:18 PM

443 posts, read 1,793,183 times
My son started when he kept getting bullied by this kid named Johnny. The knocked him off his bike, beat him up in front of this girl he really liked and then beat him up on halloween. Finally I had the maintenance guy teach him a few moves and now he finally earned their respect.

Old 03-04-2010, 12:15 AM

1,688 posts, read 4,299,513 times
To add:
Make sure payment plan contracts are well read and agreed upon.
There are many places out there that look at the money and treat the programs like some type of day care thing.
It's important to get references and discuss (frankly) what this, how much that.
If the child gets sick, how many days a wk, how long is the contract.
The best places do monthly or have plans that can be stopped without to much penalty if things don't work out.
Like any other place where you are paying for services; know what you are buying.
Watch out for guarantees that the child will get this belt when and so forth and so on. Belts are awarded on ability and not money.

Old 03-04-2010, 12:00 PM

1,895 posts, read 3,416,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor_McCheese View Post
My son started when he kept getting bullied by this kid named Johnny. The knocked him off his bike, beat him up in front of this girl he really liked and then beat him up on halloween. Finally I had the maintenance guy teach him a few moves and now he finally earned their respect.

holy crap! i think i knew your son! and i actually was tought karate by that crazy maintenance guy until he had me waxing his fancy old cars! what ever happened to your son?? i heard he went to japan or something and fought in some crazy death match?!?

Old 03-07-2010, 09:47 AM

28 posts, read 50,281 times
I introduced my son at 14, thats the perfect age in my opinion because his body had developed and had power to do kicks and throws correct, he could'nt drive yet so it was something to do (kept him busy and out of trouble) . then by the time he was 16 and driving he was already up in rank (purple belt) and he did say somthing about quiting during this time but i told him to hang in there, and he did, he made his black belt when he was 18, he's very proud of this, in fact he just made a speech about it in speech class in college
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting