Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2009, 11:51 AM

2,839 posts, read 9,983,568 times

Advertisements

It's socially correct to say "congratulations!" and to coo over a new baby. It's not "congratulations for knowing the mechanics of impregnating a woman," or even "congratulations on pushing that baby out of your body," it's "congratulations on taking this next step in your life." Like it or not, the majority of people's lives go something like this: Graduate from high school, graduate from college, get a job, get promoted, get married, buy a house, have a baby (not necessarily in that order, of course). At each step, it's appropriate to offer congratulations, hearty handshakes, and interest in the job/house/wife/baby. While going on vacation is cool, it's not really considered a "life step" for most of us. But hey, if you were the diver that was not being congratulated, then congratulations! I'm sure it was awesome, and that you have stunning photos!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2009, 01:32 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,736,582 times
It's not all that tough to go diving or traveling to other countries, either, especially if you're single and have the money and the time.

The fuss over the baby is more about marking a major life milestone than it is celebrating the mechanics of making a baby.

I would guess that if someone just got back from climbing Everest or walking the Appalachian Trail then they'd get hearty congratulations, too.

Old 12-29-2009, 02:11 PM

1 posts, read 836 times
I really don't think most people decide to have a child, otherwise there wouldn't be so many neglected, abused children and single mothers on welfare. Sorry, but I think most people have sex and worry about the consequences later. I also get irritated with people who praise everything a child does, and then when the child grows up he/she thinks the whole world should praise him like mommy and daddy did.

Old 12-30-2009, 02:42 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,049,118 times
Where there is new life, there is hope. I think most people, when they see a new infant, instinctively feel a sense of hope, and that is why they gush over the new baby and the parents at that time.

Of course, wait a few years when the parents are trying to teach the kid about proper behavior and table manners and healthy eating habits and the like... and those same people who were ooohing and awwing before often seem to have forgotten all about the potential of that being, and are the same ones which request you get a babysitter for the next dinner party, or give them loads of candy and crappy toys and junk food upon each visit...

Personally I'd rather hear stories of archeological dives and digs and worldly travels and such, rather than mundane stuff about babies (and we have two kids), but that's just me. I think the baby making is more of a status quo thing at this point than a rite of passage. If you're married and you don't breed, it's like you're seen as being defective in some way. And if you choose to stay single - society wonders what the heck is wrong with you? And goes on to assume you're either gay or refusing to grow up. And it's not as if our human population it at risk... rather the opposite.

Old 12-31-2009, 06:01 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
New borns are amazing while travel stories or even photos are pretty boring actually.I doubt anyone has not has to sit thru a vacation slide show or photo show and been bored to death.Only interesting to the one that did the traverling mostly and certainly nothing to be congraduated on.

Old 12-31-2009, 08:18 PM

7,829 posts, read 11,788,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
New borns are amazing while travel stories or even photos are pretty boring actually.I doubt anyone has not has to sit thru a vacation slide show or photo show and been bored to death.Only interesting to the one that did the traverling mostly and certainly nothing to be congraduated on.
sorry you feel that way. I feel quite the opposite. I love to listen to people's travel adventures... especially if it is to some exotic locale. Some people have some fascinating tales and it's great to live vicariously for a while!

Now, I am not saying a newborn is not something to talk about. That is not what I am saying at all, I love kids very much myself. I think many misunderstood my point. I am not complaining about the attention a newborn gets...rather the fact that it is classified as an "achievement"...whereas I feel there is no achievement some people feel there is. When the kid grows up and graduates with honors from an Ivy league, then yes, it is an achievement for both parents and the child but simply being born OR giving birth is not an achievement from my point of view.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting