Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-31-2009, 02:55 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,030,381 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nogard13 View Post
And what makes you think this won't happen at the school? I mean, it's the same kids, right?

There are always going to be bullies. The best thing for a kid to do is defend themselves and fight back. Trust me, I was one of these bullies (I was bullied up until the 4th grade, then I became the bully). When I teased kids, and they stood up for themselves, we might get in ONE fight, but I never bothered them again. Being a bully is all about feeling superior to the other kids so I would just pick the weaker kids to bully.
Sorta like posting in forums!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2009, 02:58 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,030,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
By the time they are grown, parents wished they'd spent more time with their kids when they were young. Sometimes, 10 minutes with my kids in the car on the way to school in the morning were the best 10 minutes I had with them, one on one without distractions.
Amazing the number of high school kids who kiss their mom or dad when they get out of the car at school. Not boys kissing dads but you know the deal.

Old 12-31-2009, 03:09 PM

45,340 posts, read 60,522,810 times
Didn't read through all of this but parents drive their kids to school because some kids hate riding the bus, some school systems have a minimum distance from school for bus pick-up and some parents should be reincarnated as helicopters.

My question is why do some parents bring their kids to school on days when school isn't in session but teachers are there for training? Yes it happens all the time.

Old 12-31-2009, 03:25 PM

37,131 posts, read 42,196,846 times
We don't have school buses where I live and I drove my kids everyday from preschool-12. I'm even driving my youngest to community college two days a week because he isn't driving yet. But that's another story....

It's true what others have said, it's a great way to connect with your kids. Over the years some of our best converstations took place in the car.

Old 12-31-2009, 03:34 PM

223 posts, read 566,560 times
Where I moved from in Mass, hardly anyone drove their kids to or from school. There was no car pool line. You just got out of your car and waited in the building until they dismissed the walker/riders. No one really walked though because there were no sidewalks. Then I moved to the Raleigh area and everyone droves their kid. Not just Wake county- I was amazed by the car pool line in the school in Johnston county. I could not believe how long I had to wait in the line until we were able to move into our house and then utilize the bus. Even now, people start lining up an hour or more before school even gets out. My elementary school child still takes the bus and will unless a problem develops. My time is valuable and I just can not wait an hour every day in a car line. My high schooler does not ride the bus anymore but only because he has worked out rides with his friends.

Old 12-31-2009, 03:42 PM

2,385 posts, read 4,332,971 times
Quote:
You might notice a disconnect in your logic: YOU got yourself up and ready. The parents you belittle are getting their (probably younger kids) up.
nope, got my self up since 7th grade. Parents in this thread have children older than that.

Quote:
And, for the record, ensuring that one's child gets enough sleep is not "pampering."
Uh, go to bed earlier? lol.

Old 12-31-2009, 03:49 PM

I think the question parents have to ask themselves is if being a helicopter parent is for their child's benefit or their own. You're not doing your child a favor by making him or her overly-dependent on you. What are you going to do when they're 26 years old and won't move out?

Old 12-31-2009, 03:53 PM

37,131 posts, read 42,196,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Violett View Post
I think the question parents have to ask themselves is if being a helicopter parent is for their child's benefit or their own. You're not doing your child a favor by making him or her overly-dependent on you. What are you going to do when they're 26 years old and won't move out?
Driving your kids to school isn't what the phrase "helicopter parent" refers to.

Old 12-31-2009, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Driving your kids to school isn't what the phrase "helicopter parent" refers to.
Yes, I'm aware of that. I was digressing into the larger topic being discussed.

Wow, did I really have to explain that?

Old 12-31-2009, 04:06 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,933,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Violett View Post
So driving my kid to school because it allows all of us to get more sleep, because it allows me to get to work on time, because it allows us to manage our schedule according to our own priorities rather than the school district's whims, because it more consistently reliable than the state bus ... is going to lead to my kid not moving out before age 26?? Wow, who knew.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting