Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-31-2009, 04:10 PM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,621,789 times

Advertisements

It is easier to go to work and keep your mind on your job if you know your child at least got to the front door of the school safely. When children get on the bus at school, hopefully anything strange they have brought to school may have been discovered during the day, so again hopefully the bus ride will be more safe in the afternoon than it was in the morning when little Johnnie decided to bring something that may not be safe to show his friends on the bus and the bus driver is busy watching the morning traffic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2009, 04:28 PM

2,385 posts, read 4,332,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
It is easier to go to work and keep your mind on your job if you know your child at least got to the front door of the school safely. When children get on the bus at school, hopefully anything strange they have brought to school may have been discovered during the day, so again hopefully the bus ride will be more safe in the afternoon than it was in the morning when little Johnnie decided to bring something that may not be safe to show his friends on the bus and the bus driver is busy watching the morning traffic.
This is exactly what I'm talking about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violett View Post
I think the question parents have to ask themselves is if being a helicopter parent is for their child's benefit or their own.
Ok, say little Johnnie did bring whatever to school and he gets in trouble. So what? So he gets detention or stays in for recess and learns to never do that again. He gets to learn on his own, which is exactly what he should be doing, learning through a little trial and error here and there. Not having Mommy over think everything for him. How is he going to learn that way?

Old 12-31-2009, 04:45 PM

484 posts, read 1,367,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Did you read my next to last sentence that you even quoted? What do you think I wrote that you quoted as disagreeing with and then restated as your position?
"They are not the only ones and there are plenty of parents who don't drive who are active and involved. Probably not as high a percentage. I also suspect that your administrators enjoy seeing you in the morning and having you wave hello to them"

Yes. I did read your next to last sentence. I do not agree that there is probably not as high a percentage of parents that are active and involved as there is with of Parents who take their kids to and from school. If I read your post wrong than I apologize.

Old 12-31-2009, 04:49 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,030,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamsncharms View Post
"They are not the only ones and there are plenty of parents who don't drive who are active and involved. Probably not as high a percentage. I also suspect that your administrators enjoy seeing you in the morning and having you wave hello to them"

Yes. I did read your next to last sentence. I do not agree that there is probably not as high a percentage of parents that are active and involved as there is with of Parents who take their kids to and from school. If I read your post wrong than I apologize.
Think not about your school and your neighbors but the whole broad spectrum of schools. Some with a large number of active parents and others with a much lower percentage. Ask this question do low performing schools have as high a percentage of parents driving as high performing schools? What about within schools? Is the percentage of high school students on the honor roll being driven higher or lower than those on the academic deficient roster? Are affluent parents more able to drive and be involved?

Old 12-31-2009, 05:02 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,933,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Violett View Post
Ok, say little Johnnie did bring whatever to school and he gets in trouble. So what? So he gets detention or stays in for recess and learns to never do that again. He gets to learn on his own, which is exactly what he should be doing, learning through a little trial and error here and there. Not having Mommy over think everything for him. How is he going to learn that way?
I've missed what this has to do with the question of why some parents choose to drive their kids to school.

Old 12-31-2009, 05:14 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,395,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
Not one bit of your post is true - at least where I live. Maybe it's the way it is in Southern California. Not here.
read some of the posts from yesterday about girls-- little girls trying to get on the school bus and ride it, scary stuff, we are not in kansas any more dorothy.

Old 12-31-2009, 05:19 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,933,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
read some of the posts from yesterday about girls-- little girls trying to get on the school bus and ride it, scary stuff, we are not in kansas any more dorothy.
You claimed in your post that kids "dont play in the streets anymore" (due, you said, to the price of tolerance). Certainly not true where I live - my kids and others are constantly playing around the neighborhood. They don't need to schedule play dates.

Old 12-31-2009, 06:26 PM

1,820 posts, read 4,491,659 times
We live to close to our school, so no bus service. However, we did drive our children in the area in which we moved from.... if we did not drive them, they would have had to have gotten up almost 45 min earlier than they did and they would get home very late, on the bus for almost 40 minutes... ridiculous seeing as the school was only 4.6 miles from our house!
It may have been a little inconvenient for me at times to stop and go pick them up, but having them ride the bus for 40 minutes after being in school all day seemed a little much.
Now we don't have a choice as I said, but if I did, I would probably still be driving them...

Old 12-31-2009, 07:19 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,395,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
You claimed in your post that kids "dont play in the streets anymore" (due, you said, to the price of tolerance). Certainly not true where I live - my kids and others are constantly playing around the neighborhood. They don't need to schedule play dates.
my gosh dont do it here friend. however happy for you so very happy for you, happy new year be safe and well.

Old 12-31-2009, 07:55 PM

1,106 posts, read 3,532,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Congrats to all the parents who drive their kids to school each day. I suspect that your school administrators would consider you to be part of the good parents who are involved in their kids and their school. Parents who are willing to drive are also the ones willing to monitor homework and become involved in school activities. They are not the only ones and there are plenty of parents who don't drive who are active and involved. Probably not as high a percentage. I also suspect that your administrators enjoy seeing you in the morning and having you wave hello to them.
This is not true at all. It seems from the outside but trust me, the ability to drive a kid to school has no meaning on the parents ability or willingness to be involved in their childs education.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting