Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2010, 06:28 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,047,844 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
I didn't think any school buses had seat belts I know in our district a lot of buses were cut from the budget this year. There are fewer stops so they are less convenient. If the bus stop is so far away that you have to drive to it, why not just drive all the way to school? Personally, my son takes the bus. I like the convenience and the time works better with my other son's school schedule.
Our school buses - and city buses for that matter - don't have seat belts, either. I always thought this was odd. Why are they exempt from the seat belt law?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2010, 06:55 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,743,916 times
My kids take the bus, which I love. But I can see the convenience of driving, especially when it is cold outside. Waiting for the bus in the rain and freezing temps is no fun.

Depending on the bus driver there can be a lot of bullying going on. Every place is different so I think each parent needs to decide what is best for their child.

Old 01-02-2010, 07:27 PM

3,422 posts, read 10,903,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
I had an old post about this but I can't seem to find it and I am still puzzeld by this. Why do so many parents in Wake County Drive their children to and from school every day? I passed by Wakefield middle school a few weeks ago in the morning and their was this HUGE line of cars twisting out into the main road with parents dropping their children off. I understand their are special programs that require kids to come early and stay late and some kids have special needs and can't ride the bus, but it seems to me there are a whole bunch of other people driving their kids to school on a daily basis instead of having them take the bus.

I read a lot of letters to the editor in the N&O from parents complaining about school policy issues affecting school schedules and how it is a burden to them because they drive their children to school this affects their routines, but I am always left wondering why the parents are driving their kids to school in the first place (the above reasons aside).

Don't most kids take a bus anymore? Why not? What's going on here? Is it a generational thing? Are parents just way more protective than they were 20-30 years ago and worried about their kids waiting at a bus stop?

Not sure if this has been said but...I have a friend who lives in Wake county and has nothing good to say about the buses or bus drivers.

I have no problem with my kids riding the bus because our school has wonderful bus drivers who really care about the safety of the kids (and put their money where their mouth is when things happen) and do not hesitate to hold kids to the discipline standards necessary to ensure the safety of all on board.

I can see why a parent would not want their kids on certain buses.

Old 01-02-2010, 07:56 PM

1,036 posts, read 3,069,179 times
When we lived in town my children were to far from school to walk (over a mile to the elementary school) and as soon as they got in Jr. High...they walked! Actually they were allowed to ride their bikes as soon as they demonstrated to me proper bike safety AND used a bike lock on their bikes at school. In High School they walked. They were to old for their bikes. My daughter now in Jr. High rides the bus since we have moved to a more rural area. Yes, I have heard the stories about the bus. At our other school district it was pretty bad on the bus. There was a girl my older daughter's age who was picking on LITTLE kids....4-5 years younger than her. Slapping, hitting, punching, ect. The older kids had to stand up to her and make her stop it. Sooner or later someone has to stand up to them...in a situation like that. Finally the parents got together and forced the bus superintendent to kick her off the bus. They knew what she was doing DAILY. They had plenty of complaints. I don't understand it...but I can assure you she isn't going to stop my child from riding the bus.

Yes things happen on school busses. Things happen on public busses too. I can't be with my child every minute of the day. They have to be able to deal with the other kids. Even if they have to tell the bus driver and then sit right behind them the rest of the way to school. Even if I have to be down there the next day.

And finally one last point. When there is ONE adult with minimal training with up to 80 children ages 4-18 who also has to focus on driving the bus... what do you think will happen? It might be that we need to focus on DEMANDING the school system put aides on the school busses OR make the busses smaller (or at least small enough) for one person to effectively handle the number of children riding on them. Even if manufacturers put seat belts on the school busses, do you think they will be used effectively? Or will they become another weapon for a bully to use? Personally, I think students would be safer without them unless they are in a more supervised situation.

Old 01-02-2010, 07:59 PM

4,502 posts, read 13,469,796 times
Sometimes driving your child to school is a lot more convenient for the parent than letting the child take the bus. For example, I have to leave for work around 8am. My DD has to be on the bus stop at 7:30 (bus comes around 7:40). Most days, she'll take the bus but, if I'm running a little late, I'll just drive her.... that extra 20 minutes at home (rather than going to the bus stop, waiting, etc) makes a world of difference.

Old 01-02-2010, 08:41 PM

1,106 posts, read 3,533,543 times
Just to put a few more thoughts I have into this. School bus drivers are not paid very well and the only qualification they need to have is passing a background (not including a drug test) and possessing a CDL license. If they don't have that license then the district will pay for the class to make it happen.

The bus drivers are not paid well at all. It is one of the lowest paying jobs in the school system. So with that said who do you think is getting hired for these positions. Our district has good and bad bus drivers.

As far as the seat belt issue. The district can spend the money to get them but the kids will not wear them. You can train you child all you want but that peer pressure of being the only one to buckle up will end up winning over you telling and training them to do it when they get in an automobile.

I also wonder if the bus got into and accident or in a situation how long would it take to get the kids off the bus?

Old 01-02-2010, 11:55 PM

2,385 posts, read 4,333,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okpondlady View Post
When we lived in town my children were to far from school to walk (over a mile to the elementary school) and as soon as they got in Jr. High...they walked! Actually they were allowed to ride their bikes as soon as they demonstrated to me proper bike safety AND used a bike lock on their bikes at school. In High School they walked. They were to old for their bikes. My daughter now in Jr. High rides the bus since we have moved to a more rural area. Yes, I have heard the stories about the bus. At our other school district it was pretty bad on the bus. There was a girl my older daughter's age who was picking on LITTLE kids....4-5 years younger than her. Slapping, hitting, punching, ect. The older kids had to stand up to her and make her stop it. Sooner or later someone has to stand up to them...in a situation like that. Finally the parents got together and forced the bus superintendent to kick her off the bus. They knew what she was doing DAILY. They had plenty of complaints. I don't understand it...but I can assure you she isn't going to stop my child from riding the bus.

Yes things happen on school busses. Things happen on public busses too. I can't be with my child every minute of the day. They have to be able to deal with the other kids. Even if they have to tell the bus driver and then sit right behind them the rest of the way to school. Even if I have to be down there the next day.

And finally one last point. When there is ONE adult with minimal training with up to 80 children ages 4-18 who also has to focus on driving the bus... what do you think will happen? It might be that we need to focus on DEMANDING the school system put aides on the school busses OR make the busses smaller (or at least small enough) for one person to effectively handle the number of children riding on them. Even if manufacturers put seat belts on the school busses, do you think they will be used effectively? Or will they become another weapon for a bully to use? Personally, I think students would be safer without them unless they are in a more supervised situation.
Exactly, agree with all of this.

Old 01-03-2010, 12:10 AM

2,385 posts, read 4,333,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colddiamond102 View Post
Every kid is different. There's no method that works on each and every one.Im speaking for the odd, stubborn ones like myself, who have the personality type that they have to WANT to learn something on their own. The more someone pushes, the more the heels get dug in.

Ever hear the adage "You can lead a horse to water but cant make him drink"?. It holds truth.You can try your damndest, but in the end its up to the horse/kid whether or not he drinks. Everyone has their own eating habits, and Ive always thought that some of those habits are ingrained in us...they come naturally.
I mean, you're just wrong. You can't force anyone to do anything but you can help people figure out their motivation and help them shape their behavior and help provide incentives other than natural incentives. I've done it, I've seen other people do it on their own and I've helped parents do it. Granted, it's not easy and it can take months or even years, but it can be done.

Quote:
Four years old and wouldnt (still wont) eat a sandwhich intact..Ill still eat it, but take it apart and eat it bit by bit. Same age, had first piece of fried chicken, I tore off the skin and threw it away. Didnt want it touching the part I was about to eat. My mother never did this for me...I automatically did it myself.
No, she never did this for you, but she did not stop your bizarre behavior as well. lol. That's kinda my point.

Quote:
And honestly, you're coming across as if
1. You actually think you know me. I was FAR from spoiled, especially as I got older.
I'm quite sure you're convinced you weren't spoiled. That doesn't mean that you weren't. Maybe you weren't. You sure are coming across that way to me, though. Maybe spoiled is wrong. More like neglected. In the neglect you were allowed to get away with a lot.

Quote:
2. Judgemental.
lol, don't wanna be judged? Don't post your personal info on a public messageboard for the whole world to see.

Quote:
You're trying to prescribe your own "fix it" method with whats wrong with these young whippersnappers today.
No, I don't think anything is wrong with kids. I think kids are just being kids. I think the issue is with the ultra-permissiveness of the parents.

Quote:
Come off your high horse for a bit sweetcheeks. It must be lonely up there.
oh, look, now you're being judgmental. How nice of you to join me on my horse.

Old 01-03-2010, 08:14 AM

5,747 posts, read 12,052,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike052082 View Post
School bus drivers are not paid very well and the only qualification they need to have is passing a background (not including a drug test) and possessing a CDL license.
I can't speak to the pay issue, but my father worked as a school bus driver for a couple of years after he retired, and he was absolutely required to pass a drug test.

Old 01-03-2010, 08:17 AM

17,378 posts, read 16,518,282 times
Quote:

I didnt give a fig about school until I got out of high school (whether you like admitting it or not you have no control ultimately over whether or not your kid does well in school if in truth the kid doesnt give a tinkers damn about classes, but does just enough to pass with a D), where the real world hit and it was up to me to sink or swim. Graduated high school with a 1.5 GPA. Not proud of it, but its fact. Yet somehow I retained enough to have a 3.7 GPA in college courses while holding a job and sitting on the board of a nonprofit organization. Go figure.
Fact is, most kids don't love to do homework. Most kids, if given the choice, would rather play on the playstation or hang out with their friends.

When I was growing up, a choice like that would not have been an option for me. I either did the homework and earned the grades or there would have been no time with friends, no t.v., no nothing. If I brought home a poor grade, I would have had to see a tutor on top of doing my homework - so I had incentive to try in school.

If you blew off the work in highschool and got a 1.5 GPA, it is pretty amazing that you were able to get a 3.7 GPA in college as most of the challenging courses in college require a fair amount of cumulative knowledge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting