Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2007, 12:25 PM

2,349 posts, read 10,655,964 times

Advertisements

My son attends a Jewish preschool. While I am not Jewish nor is anyone in my family, it was a great fit for us. Wonderful teachers that he adores as well as a safe environment for him. He does learn highlights of Judaism (Shabbat, Hamotzi, Hannuka, etc... he even calls his grape juice shabbat juice lol) but this is by no means the focus of the center. This past Sunday he had a "graduation" program which I invited my ex in-laws to attend. He had learned some new songs and was so excited. They refused based on "The Jews don't believe in Jesus and if we attend we will be condoning their behavior" and "You are raising him as a Jew". There are children from ALL faiths and colors who attend this preschool NOT just Jewish children. This really ticked me off. I was upset because the lil guy got his feelings hurt and that they were questioning my parenting ability because he was going to "Turn into a Jew" As if that was the worst thing in to world! I was amazed that so-called Christian people could be so mean and hurtful towards a child. He is bright and well-behaved so it's obvious that his pre-school is doing a fine job helping me raise and educate him. People stink sometimes!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2007, 12:42 PM

1,372 posts, read 5,210,553 times
I would have told them
"I am sorry you feel this way
and it is sad that you will deny your granson your presence because you feel this way.
I guess I would have thought that he would be more important to you than that. But I can understand your dilema, but he won't, so why don't you explain it to him for me."

Old 05-22-2007, 12:49 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,038,202 times
That's terrible! People can be so ignorant sometimes!!!

Old 05-22-2007, 01:10 PM

5,047 posts, read 5,803,885 times
I say you are doing a great thing. Isnt it wonderful to expose our children to as much as possible.

Love
dorothy

Old 05-22-2007, 01:14 PM

2,267 posts, read 3,298,039 times
wow, that is terrible...I can see why you are divorced...

I would consider sending my daughter to a jewish school or a catholic one but there are some I would avoid...

Old 05-22-2007, 02:28 PM

550 posts, read 2,825,679 times
That is disgusting behavior from your x in-laws. They should be truly ashamed of themselves. I hope your x in-laws look back on this one day and realize they missed out on an important time in your sons life and regret their stupid decision.

Cheers to you and congratulations to your son!

Old 05-24-2007, 08:24 AM

2,349 posts, read 10,655,964 times
Thanks you all. Just wanted to vent and make sure it just wasn't me as I still have some divorce hang-ups lol I tend to get bent out of shape at the slightest thing lately. The event went great and we had a nice time. Now to the 3-4 yr old class! My lil man is growing up!

Old 05-24-2007, 08:46 AM

7,599 posts, read 18,409,197 times
Ignorance is bliss. Screw em. If they can be that bitter about something so small then you just know they live a stress filled life. Take note of that and the fact that small things like that dont bother you and just live your life. Everytime you get stressed, just think that at least you dont live the life of the ex inlaws.

Old 05-24-2007, 08:53 AM

2,136 posts, read 4,788,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkmewright View Post
Thanks you all. Just wanted to vent and make sure it just wasn't me as I still have some divorce hang-ups lol I tend to get bent out of shape at the slightest thing lately. The event went great and we had a nice time. Now to the 3-4 yr old class! My lil man is growing up!

I think that it was wonderful of you to invite your ex-inlaws. I don't know how long you have been divorced but I hope that things get better. I have been divorced for over 10 years (and remarried and moved on) but I remeber reading a book called "Mom's house, Dad's house. Making shared parenting work" (or something to that effect). It was a great book, even if you aren't planning "shared parenting". It had some great coping ideas. I wish you all the luck.

Old 05-24-2007, 09:16 AM

3,684 posts, read 11,816,055 times
I'm so sorry for your child's dissapointment. But I have to say at least these are your ex-inlaws...my current ones are the same way because we are Catholic and they are fundementalist Christian. I've just explained to my children that they don't agree with the church we go to and don't have the abilitly to see past that in order to participate in events at their school (also Catholic) and church. I have also explained that this behavior is not Christian in basis, but a personal failure on the part of their grandparents. The kids don't like it, they are dissapointed in it and their relationship with their grandparents is not close at all because of it. Still it doesn't seem to bother my in-laws as they think they are right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting