Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2010, 10:28 AM

9,444 posts, read 17,383,485 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by formercalifornian View Post
Why are we even having this conversation? The coffee question is just the latest iteration of Sunflower's never-ending conflicts with her mother, and now she's putting her brother in the middle of it. Enough already.

Sunflower, your mother is entitled to make different parenting decisions with her son than she did with you. Stop second-guessing her. When you have your own children, you can choose to parent differently.
The reason why we are having this conversation is because other posters may have the same question. It's not just about helping out the OP, it's discussing the issue (or non-issue) of drinking coffee at a young age.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2010, 10:39 AM

5,747 posts, read 12,053,234 times
Okay, then let's continue the conversation...

There is also some indication that moderate caffeine consumption may negate the need for medication for both adults and children suffering from some types of Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD). It seems to be most effective with the primarily innattentive sub-type.

Last edited by formercalifornian; 01-06-2010 at 10:50 AM..

Old 01-06-2010, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Okay, then let's continue the conversation...

There is also some indication that moderate caffeine consumption may negate the need for medication for both adults and children suffering from some types of Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD). It seems to be most effective with the primarily innattentive sub-type.

I definitely think there is some positive to drinking coffee, I do. I'm a coffee drinker myself actually. I need to have at least one cup of coffee a day. However, I still feel that the negative outweighs the positive, especially for children. It blocks the absorption of nutrients and minerals such as calcium. Parents complain that their kids don't eat enough, it's hard to get a child to eat a fully balanced diet, a lot of kids are picky with food and the last thing they need in their diets is something that will actually get in the way of calcium, magnesium and other valuable nutrients absorption.
Coffee is very acidic, their little tummies are not made to deal with all the acid so early on. Unless, they drink a big cup of green drink to balance all the acid (which I highly doubt many kids would volunteerly do), than coffee is not a good substance for them.

Of course, having it like once a month is okay, like a little treat, with milk and whipcream, but it definitely shouldn't become a habit and considering that caffeine is addictive, shouldn't be introduced early on or frequently.

Old 01-06-2010, 11:19 AM

3,631 posts, read 14,553,903 times
Parents often make mistakes with their older kids they try not to make on the next ones..........

Not that it really harmed you but ask your mom. She may have decided it really was not the best thing to do. Plus maybe he already has a different personality from you and would react differently to it.

Old 01-06-2010, 11:23 AM

5,747 posts, read 12,053,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max's mama View Post
I definitely think there is some positive to drinking coffee, I do. I'm a coffee drinker myself actually. I need to have at least one cup of coffee a day. However, I still feel that the negative outweighs the positive, especially for children. It blocks the absorption of nutrients and minerals such as calcium. Parents complain that their kids don't eat enough, it's hard to get a child to eat a fully balanced diet, a lot of kids are picky with food and the last thing they need in their diets is something that will actually get in the way of calcium, magnesium and other valuable nutrients absorption.
Coffee is very acidic, their little tummies are not made to deal with all the acid so early on. Unless, they drink a big cup of green drink to balance all the acid (which I highly doubt many kids would volunteerly do), than coffee is not a good substance for them.

Of course, having it like once a month is okay, like a little treat, with milk and whipcream, but it definitely shouldn't become a habit and considering that caffeine is addictive, shouldn't be introduced early on or frequently.
My kids don't drink it either, not because we've prohibited it, but because it's just not available since neither their father nor I are coffee-drinkers. We don't drink wine or beer either. We're very boring people.

Old 01-06-2010, 11:26 AM

3,086 posts, read 7,615,317 times
Interesting reading.

I was having coffee (heavily doctored with sugar and milk) as a very young child, mainly because my parents drank it like crazy. Family joke was that you couldn't talk to me until I had had my coffee in the morning! No biggie for me during that time at all.

The ironic thing is that once I got a little older, say about 10 or so I didn't really drink coffee much at all and still don't. The main reason is because I simply don't like hot drinks except on rare occasion. I don't drink hot tea or cider at all-yuck. Coffee or hot chocolate are maybe 3 times during the winter. Maybe.

All my kids have asked to try it at some point and I let them. Only one actually liked it enough to want it more than once. Nothing major in the grand scheme of things.

Old 01-06-2010, 11:36 AM

Quote:
My kids don't drink it either, not because we've prohibited it, but because it's just not available since neither their father nor I are coffee-drinkers. We don't drink wine or beer either. We're very boring people.

lol...I doubt it.

Old 01-06-2010, 12:58 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,542,940 times
When my 32 yr old daughter was a baby her grandfather would sit her in his lap, crumble some graham crackers in a cup and pour in some coffee. She would eat that like crazy! Did it for years! Any side effects? Not a single one! Unless you could blame the caffiene on how she picked her husband! Then I'm all against it!
All of this is another one of those times that people almost have a coronary over something parents may let their kids do, that was nothing when we were that age. So he does or doesn't drink coffee. So Mom doesn't want him to. Even though I don't see anything wrong with it, it still comes back to one thing. Mom said no. Mom's word is the rule. If you dont' like it, tough! Wait till you're the mom.

Old 01-06-2010, 01:39 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,171,415 times
I think 9 is too young. I see no point in it. If he likes the taste, maybe decaf. I think it is an acquired taste. I think it would be silly to try to get him to acquire it so young.

Old 01-06-2010, 01:56 PM

17,387 posts, read 16,524,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypocore View Post
Interesting reading.

I was having coffee (heavily doctored with sugar and milk) as a very young child, mainly because my parents drank it like crazy. Family joke was that you couldn't talk to me until I had had my coffee in the morning! No biggie for me during that time at all.

The ironic thing is that once I got a little older, say about 10 or so I didn't really drink coffee much at all and still don't. The main reason is because I simply don't like hot drinks except on rare occasion. I don't drink hot tea or cider at all-yuck. Coffee or hot chocolate are maybe 3 times during the winter. Maybe.

All my kids have asked to try it at some point and I let them. Only one actually liked it enough to want it more than once. Nothing major in the grand scheme of things.
I drink mine strong, no cream, no sweetener. Both of my kids have taken a sip of my coffee and that sip was plenty (bleh!) - they've never asked for another sip .

Last edited by springfieldva; 01-06-2010 at 02:07 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting