Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you say something?
No. It is none of my business. 30 69.77%
Only if I knew the parents well. 9 20.93%
Yes. I think her parents would want to know. 3 6.98%
Other. Please explain. 1 2.33%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2010, 04:39 PM

1,279 posts, read 4,771,079 times

Advertisements

It sounds like she was dressed somewhat inappropriate, but there could be reasons for that (she dressed herself, the clothes are a bit too big, she had an accident and the school had to put on her whatever was available). I would say nothing though, because it is embarrassing to the parents and really none of your business - it may be inappropriate, but it does not put your child or the child wearing the clothes in harms way. Plus, as the father picked her up, presumably they know about it and are ok with it for whatever reason.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2010, 04:44 PM

758 posts, read 1,872,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzie02 View Post
I do not know if the pants were low rise or they just were a little too big and falling down. But what I was trying to figure out is why her underwear wasn't showing. I know when my dd wears pants that are too big I can tell because her undies are showing.
I was debating whether to say something but since it was dad who picked her up I chickened out.

LOL. For some reason I would have felt more comfortable talking to her mother also.

Old 01-07-2010, 04:49 PM

1,591 posts, read 3,552,439 times
This happens quite a bit with little kids. Its not a big deal. Now, if they're 12 and doing that, then, yeah, its a problem...or maybe they're just training to be a plumber...sorry, had to say it :-).

Old 01-07-2010, 04:50 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,628,401 times
No, I would not have mentioned it. I would have just pulled my child out of the school. LOL

Old 01-07-2010, 06:01 PM

2,568 posts, read 6,750,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Now that you're discussing underwear too, I think you're a tad too focused on the way this child is dressed.

Maybe the girl wasn't wearing any underwear. So what. It's possible that she dresses herself.

She wouldn't be the first preschooler to forget to put on underwear when dressing herself.
Ok. I didn't think about that. I guess I check how my dd is dressed before leaving the house. BTW I like this little girl she is very friendly and she is my dd's friend. If I didn't care, I would not have given it a second thought.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuala View Post
No, I wouldn't say anything - I've seen plumber buttocks on a 4yo in pre-school, but it was clear that the mother was trying to buy the "trendy" clothing, making her daughter a copy of herself (she was a very young mother).
This not the case with this little girl.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gottasay View Post
This happens quite a bit with little kids. Its not a big deal.
Ok. I guess what I was thinking about this whole thing, is how would I want it handled by someone else if my dd was the one with the plumber buttocks. I would want to be told but at the same time I would be mortified.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
No, I would not have mentioned it. I would have just pulled my child out of the school. LOL
You are kidding right?

Old 01-07-2010, 06:06 PM

2,002 posts, read 4,584,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
The clothes might be too tight and the parents might not have money at this very moment to buy her more clothes in a bigger size.

Or perhaps they are her new clothes and she hasn't grown into them yet, and maybe they'll shrink when they're washed.

Whatever the reason, you shouldn't say anything.
I agree with you. And probably the teacher will notice and take care of it if it's really distracting, etc.

Old 01-07-2010, 07:36 PM

3,086 posts, read 7,614,645 times
My very first thought, as another poster mentioned, was that the child had an accident at school and was either wearing her 'extra' clothes which no longer fit, or wearing whatever the center could find to put on her. That of course could mean they had no underwear to put on her.

Our health regs here state that we are not allowed to wash children's clothes when they've had an accident, so there must be a change of clothes. Since many parents don't bother to send extras, we had to keep a donated supply on hand and did the best we could with what we had.

The strangest thing was parents would send their kids to our center wearing the 'borrowed' clothes as if they were their own, including those pieces clearly marked in permanent marker with the center's name on it!

So, no as another parent it would not have been a good thing to mention it, especially without knowing why the child was wearing that and who put it on her.

Old 01-07-2010, 07:42 PM

4,053 posts, read 8,255,001 times
Quote:
I do not know if the pants were low rise or they just were a little too big and falling down. But what I was trying to figure out is why her underwear wasn't showing. I know when my dd wears pants that are too big I can tell because her undies are showing.
I was debating whether to say something but since it was dad who picked her up I chickened out.
That's pretty disgusting. I think you should hint to the mother that she should think about dressing her daughter more modestly.

Old 01-07-2010, 07:45 PM

2,568 posts, read 6,750,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypocore View Post
My very first thought, as another poster mentioned, was that the child had an accident at school and was either wearing her 'extra' clothes which no longer fit, or wearing whatever the center could find to put on her. That of course could mean they had no underwear to put on her.

Our health regs here state that we are not allowed to wash children's clothes when they've had an accident, so there must be a change of clothes. Since many parents don't bother to send extras, we had to keep a donated supply on hand and did the best we could with what we had.

The strangest thing was parents would send their kids to our center wearing the 'borrowed' clothes as if they were their own, including those pieces clearly marked in permanent marker with the center's name on it!

So, no as another parent it would not have been a good thing to mention it, especially without knowing why the child was wearing that and who put it on her.
This is not a center but a pre-school. If the child has an accident and the parent has no clothes then they will call you to pick up.

I have to say I am happy I didn't say anything since so many people believe it is better not to say anything. Thank you CDers for your help.

Old 01-07-2010, 07:49 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times
Quote:
Ok. I didn't think about that. I guess I check how my dd is dressed before leaving the house.
Not to put down fathers, but her father may be the one who gets her ready in the morning since he's the one who dropped her off.

He might not think about checking how his young children are dressed. My husband sure didn't!

I remember showing my husband how to put laundry away in 'outfits' so whatever the children pulled out of the drawer would already be matching.

He and my young boys had a good time making fun of me! LOL

Quote:
BTW I like this little girl she is very friendly and she is my dd's friend. If I didn't care, I would not have given it a second thought.
Then give it a month or two. See if it becomes an ongoing problem. Then revisit the best approach if you feel it should be addressed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting