Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2007, 04:06 PM

7,599 posts, read 18,409,197 times

Advertisements

Im fascinated by it in a sence that I love to know what makes people tick. I want to know what makes X person think its OK to hurt Y person. So yeah, I think that is OK to be fascinated in that way. Im not saying I love to see people get hurt, in fact I dont like it. But as I said, I love to get inside people and figure out WHY that person wanted to hurt another. I guess you could say its not the violence itself, but the person who acts on it. Im not sufe if I explained myself properly.

I see what youre saying about the TV, but its not the TV companies fault that parents dont care. Blaming media is a quick solution to a bigger problem, parents who dont care, or dont know any better. Deal with them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2007, 05:53 PM

1,195 posts, read 5,411,847 times
Once parents become financially responsible for what happens to others because of their kids is the only time most of them will take notice. Our welfare system rewards some mothers by the amount of kids they have, the more babies the more money. Look at Alaska with the PFD we get so many folks up here with large family's cuz they get a check once a year for each member of the family. In the beginning we had so many families move up here and in many cases lived in a camper for the year so they could reap the benifits, once the checks came in they were gone, one of those families had 10 kids they got their $12,000 and left. We currently have so many youth out on the streets that are said to have parents but nobody ever seems to know where.

Not sure what happened to the generation raising teenagers these days but so many appear to have missed the class the day they taught responsiblity, respect, reliablilty or even compassion for the human being.

Old 09-14-2007, 05:56 PM

2,464 posts, read 6,468,836 times
I think parents are the ones who screw these kids up initially. To me, they must have contributed to their teenagers behavior is SOME way (neglect, abuse, absentee parent).

Old 09-14-2007, 05:59 PM

I agree 100%, teenagers don't become nasty on their own.

Old 09-14-2007, 06:00 PM

3,099 posts, read 2,645,946 times
okay brian i get what youre saying about being fascinated by violence now. it is the person and not the act that youre intrigued by. yes i get it.
but still i think media is to blame. i dont know how old you are but back in the day there was only about 3 channels to choose from and there wasnt any of the stuff on tv that there is now. the garbage on tv and internet and radio and movies is so pervasive, SO EVERYWHERE that it is too much of a struggle for ANY decent parent to keep away from their kids. it is everywhere! so i think that the networks should take some responsibility and stop airing such harmful trash. they really should be ashamed of themselves but we all know that $/greed is all they care about.
did anyone see how the comedian kathy griffin had her award acceptance speech edited because she said something bad about god and religion? i thought it was strange that the decision to edit that was more important than getting rid of jerry springer and dance off pants off.

Old 09-14-2007, 06:11 PM

All young parents need to remember that by the time a child is 5 to 6 years of age, they have the personality that they will have when they are older. What was cute at age 3 is not so charming at 13.

Old 09-14-2007, 06:30 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,003,025 times
Ugh, I'm gonna take this one out...sorry, folks...it was nothing bad/upsetting or anything but I feel like I've been way too oppositional today in general, so...nobody needed to hear this one.

Last edited by JerZ; 09-14-2007 at 06:48 PM.. Reason: The flow of my post was weird.

Old 09-15-2007, 08:52 AM

1,224 posts, read 3,374,593 times
Its sad we were at chuckie chees the other day a very rare treat for my son, and my husband and I were shocked to see parents showing their kids how to cheat aat skee ball. They were telling them to walk up and put the ball in the top scorers. We took my son aside and said honey we dont do that ( wich is hard to tell any child let alone a 3yr old). I think kids are learning to be direspectfull because there parents are diisrespectfull. Oh when i see well behaved teenagers or children in public and a parent is around I let that parent know how polite they are,

Old 09-15-2007, 10:13 AM

7,599 posts, read 18,409,197 times
Im 26, and didnt grow up in the states. I grew up in Ireland with 12 channels intially. The broadcasting network over there edits out allot less than I see over here in the US, even at night time I see nudity and cuss words edited out. (I cant afford premium movie channels so im talking basic dish). In Ireland that would never happen. I was exposed to violence, but as I said, I was taught right from wrong. My friends where too. We had a drug problem close to our area, so we saw drugs and violence from that. But I was never drawn in because I was taught correctly.

Old 09-19-2007, 08:09 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,594,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyhelena View Post
My SIL in Mass allows her 18 yr old to do coke in the house- she says at least she then knows he isnt out selling it.......

Something wrong right there-
Yes- and I have a great theory-My therapist recently said its not the situation, but your reaction to it that makes/changes life...

My stbx needed an enabler too- when I saw his SIL and brother in 2005 and how messed up their household was, I told the stbx that showed me the writing oo the wall- sorry- but parents who think they are ""cool"" letting kids do drugs at home produce loser kids (like my stbx and his 50 yr old brother- an alcoholic for 30 years)

I wish I could make this s*** iup- some parents out there need serious therapy.

sunny
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting