Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2010, 03:12 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,741,423 times

Advertisements

IMO waiting two weeks to discipline doesn't make sense. By that time they probably cannot remember exactly what they did in the first place to get in trouble. Children need to be disciplined immediately when they have done something wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2010, 03:19 PM

17,366 posts, read 16,511,485 times
I've spanked my kids before. It's not the punishment of choice at my house, but there are times when spanking can be appropriate.

That said, I would never spank a kid in front of company - especially in front of (or within hearing range of) grandparents that just spent their hard earned money and time flying across the country to see their grandkids.

There are plenty of discrete, alternative ways to lay down the law that don't involve upsetting doting Grandparents in the process.

Old 01-11-2010, 06:02 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,758,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
Easy. You hand a belt to each one of the grandparents and make the "whuppin" a family affair - a real Festivus, if you will.

But really. I probably would have grounded "Jr" on the spot and taken away some favorite thing of his (playstation, t.v., whatever). If he whined or copped a 'tude about it in front of his grandparents, I would have extended the grounding for another week/taken another privilege away.
I only used grounding or taking stuff away once they were 12. Before 12, it was always a whuppin. Quick, fast and over with. And very efficient.

Old 01-11-2010, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
I've spanked my kids before. It's not the punishment of choice at my house, but there are times when spanking can be appropriate.

That said, I would never spank a kid in front of company - especially in front of (or within hearing range of) grandparents that just spent their hard earned money and time flying across the country to see their grandkids.

There are plenty of discrete, alternative ways to lay down the law that don't involve upsetting doting Grandparents in the process.
Which is exactly why Jr "got away with one".

Old 01-11-2010, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
IMO waiting two weeks to discipline doesn't make sense. By that time they probably cannot remember exactly what they did in the first place to get in trouble. Children need to be disciplined immediately when they have done something wrong.
I agree. After even a few days, a whuppin would not have the "connection effect" that I would desire.

Old 01-12-2010, 07:50 AM

3,086 posts, read 7,613,969 times
I'm confused. If it's 'minor misbehavior', then why did they even call your wife in the first place instead of handling it themselves? If it wasn't so minor, why then did she decline to take action and instead call you? That makes no sense. If it was big enough to have the school call, then your wife should have gone straight to the school to handle it right then and there.

If it was indeed minor, then there was no need for anything to be done at home, as the school should have handled the problem with their own discipline. Perhaps the call was nothing more than a scare tactic or even it was the discipline they chose....to inform the parents. Either way, they may have handled it and the only thing left was for the parents to support the school in their choice.

Having said that, if it were something that needed additional follow up from the parents, then it means the students needed a logical consequence to what they've done and not corporal punishment. That can/should happen no matter who is around. If they flooded the bathroom, then they need to stay after school and clean it up themselves. If they tagged the walls, then they should be cleaning and repainting them after school. Logical works because it is connected directly to what they've done and there is always something directly connected.

I think most grandparents would understand and support that. Not all would understand or support your choice of 'whuppin' them and should not be put in the position of trying to either.

Old 01-12-2010, 08:02 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,030,943 times
Perhaps they only own one car and the wife is stuck at home when the husband is at work.

Old 01-12-2010, 08:33 AM

5,747 posts, read 12,051,162 times
Here's how I would handle it...

I would take the child aside and tell him that I am aware of what happened at school, but the discipline will have to wait because of the grandparents' visit. Then, I would smile and, without raising my voice, say "Try not to worry too much about it. We'll deal with this later." When the appropriate time arrived, I would administer the discipline. (In our family, this would not include hitting, but that's another topic.)

In the meantime, the child will torture himself worrying about what is going to happen. This is a good thing! He'll also be on his very best behavior, because he'll be afraid of making things worse. When the child acts up during the visit, I will simply smile and ask in a normal tone of voice, "Are you sure you want to continue behaving this way? Seems like a bad choice to me."

I would also ask the child to consider what he can do to rectify the problem he caused at school while he's awaiting my decision, and I will hold him to his solution.

Try listening to Jim Fay, who wrote Love and Logic. Delaying discipline is VERY effective!

Last edited by formercalifornian; 01-12-2010 at 09:49 AM..

Old 01-12-2010, 10:25 AM

18,469 posts, read 31,630,721 times
Oh let it go, sometimes kids are just kids.
ugh !

Old 01-12-2010, 12:54 PM

596 posts, read 889,704 times
"Letting it go" is about the worst thing you can do. Consistency is the most important part of parenting. Kids need to know what to expect. If you let it go, you should be prepared to do just that 100% of the time.

My kids know EXACTLY where the boundaries are and what will happen if they cross them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting