Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2007, 02:39 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,638,312 times

Advertisements

Wyoming School District Uses BMI to Grade Its Student Body.

Four times during the school year in Campbell County, Wyo., the school sends report cards home. Anxious parents and worried students are provided with the typical grading categories -- academic performance, attendance and a work ethic score.

But here in Gillette, there's an additional grade that has some families up in arms.

It's called the body mass index, or BMI, a calculation based on height and weight that indicates whether your kid is too fat. The school chooses the word "overweight." If your child scores too high, it's the fitness equivalent of a bad grade. When Taylor Barbour came home with a BMI score of 32, seven points over the "normal range," his mother, Rosie Barbour, was none too pleased. Her anger was directed not at her 12-year-old son but at the school.

http://abcnews.go.com/Nightline/story?id=3153074&page=1
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2007, 04:57 AM

75 posts, read 278,768 times
Kids barely move around in school anymore..what happened to the field trips to nature parks, recess, Physical Education and walking to and from school? Plus, the crap schools claim as nutrional meals- breakfast and lunch- are full of silent calories. Processed food out of machines are not healthy meals to feed children. Coke, candy, and chip machines have been accessible to kids for years before they decided maybe thats the wrong thing to have in school...
A nutritional lunch at the middle school in this town is two slices of pizza from little ceasars pizza.... ??????

Old 05-24-2007, 05:08 AM

1,372 posts, read 5,213,141 times
when we were in school (manymanymanymany) years ago we had Gym class every other day all year round

now my kids only have it for 1 semester out of all 4 years

I am really upset with the fact classes used ot be 8 a day at 43 minutes each
now they are 6 a day at about an hour
they split there lunch time into 3 groups so only have 20 to choke down their food AFTER they stand in line to get it so they actually have about 10 minutes

I just don't know what makes the school board think that if they can't learn it in 43 minutes what makes them think they can learn it in 60 minutes
Honestly my kids tell me about how they sit in class for 10 minutes at the end with nothing to do

my point is
they have taken away 2 classes a day and shortened lunches to 20 minutes
so there is no room to get all the required classes and still have time for them to take a PE course every year
also making them literally choke their food down

The funny part is the teach about good exercise and eating slower and in moderation in healthy class
Go Figure

Old 05-24-2007, 05:12 AM

75 posts, read 278,768 times
A professor once told me the typical junior high kid 12-14yrs old, is capable of about 13 minutes of learning per hour.

Old 05-24-2007, 05:14 AM

402 posts, read 2,211,987 times
I think it's a pediatrician's job to tell the parent if their child is overweight, not the school district.

Both sources should give nutritional counseling though. I agree, the food choices they give kids are generally pretty poor. I remember gleefully eating a hamburger nearly everyday in high school.

Old 05-24-2007, 07:08 AM

1,047 posts, read 3,991,990 times
These days I think it everyones job to help our kids stay healthy. One's pediatrician may only see a child once a year.Parents may have unhealthy habits themselves. Schools are the obvious choice to step in and offer guidance.Obviously,society has dropped the ball.Yes,things were different when I was in school too.Our school district here has made changes in their menus to make them healthier.We are told to send only healthy snacks to school.Some parents were upset that the school was dictating what they could send.It's too bad that it has come to that,but when you see elementary school kids bringing coke and candy to school for lunch,somebody should be concerned! Our population is getting larger,more unhealthy and something should be done.Somebody needs to do the educating.We need to all do whatever it takes to help our kids learn healthy lifestyles.I'm not sure about the BMI on a report card,I didn't read the whole article.to see how it had been presented,and what other steps the school is taking to help overweight kids get help.Our school continues to have 3 gym classes a week,and from 2 to 3 -15 minute recesses for kids to run around.If this physical activity continues to be encouraged and reinforced at home,by high school,I would think that a healthy lifestyle would be a natural part of a young persons life.

Old 05-24-2007, 09:22 AM

1,093 posts, read 3,798,027 times
I am actually on the other side of this..
I think that it is a good idea to alert parents of their children's BMI.
I don't think the kids should be punished because of it.. but I do think the parents should be alerted. Now, as far as the nutritional value of school food, yes, I think that it could be alot better. But have you ever noticed that the "low carb" foods, and diet foods are typically higher in price? Most schools are on a limited budget, and fitting those things in, might prove a difficult task.

I would think that if the parents are concerned about their kids health, pack them a nice healthy lunch from home, and make sure you do family outtings to get physical activity in!

Old 05-24-2007, 09:25 AM

3,684 posts, read 11,821,403 times
Well if schools actually wanted to help the kids instead of blaming the parents for everything, then maybe they should put gym back every day and recess back everyday. I for one would be happy to have the school day extended in order to accomplish this.

Old 05-24-2007, 09:45 AM

206 posts, read 939,398 times
I too agree that PE should be everyday, not just once a week, or 1 week a month. Our school has tried to offer better, healthier school lunches. They offer a salad bar everyday, which is good, but few kids choose that.

I do think it's up to the parents to implement a healthy lifestyle w/ excerise and good diet.

Old 05-24-2007, 10:15 AM

7,599 posts, read 18,420,704 times
Kids barely move around school and go on school trips anymore because the US is a suing nation. If a kid breaks a nail these days it seems the parents want to sue.

I think BMI on report cards are a great idea. But to accompany it they need to send out info on healthy eating. I honestly think alot of parents dont know how to feed their children health food.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting