Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2010, 12:00 PM

2,884 posts, read 5,931,267 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmerkyGrl View Post
ACTUALLY law enforcement is to assure community safety, which includes catching bad guys--you're right there---but also enforcing things such as safe driving laws.

I completely respect your right to disagree with this parenting method but I hope you also realize that the police do far more than what you see from the show "Cops".

They shouldn't be. Police should focus on real problems of real criminals, not traffic revenue nor how tall your grass is nor what you put into your body or how loud that guy plays his radio.

I work with police to patrol my community. They are burdened horribly with people who either can't mind their own business or are determined to have someone else solve their frivolous problems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2010, 07:38 AM

18,468 posts, read 31,630,721 times
I think the father should have pulled the car over and given both of the girls a good smack, and HE can tell them the dangers of hitting someone in the car. It is obvious he has no control over his 9 year old's.......and it will only get worse as they get older.

Some Parents really do not have a clue.......................

Old 01-20-2010, 07:40 AM

18,468 posts, read 31,630,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarmig View Post
I'll grant the "creative" tag.

Creative doesn't necessarily mean I agree with it.

Not jealous, appalled.

The snarkiness comes from the fact that I utterly disagree with getting the police involved in anything that isn't the prosecution of violent or property crime. Their job isn't to be a parent when you can't, or it's too hard. Their job is to catch bad guys that are a threat to your life and property.

Thank you, I agree with you.

Old 01-20-2010, 04:56 PM

4,507 posts, read 9,061,904 times
They hit him and pulled his hair because he was singing in the car...I bet these two girls are a delight at home as well.

I hope it was a teachable moment for the dad as well, that the officer had a talk with Dad too....something like..."Grow a pair.". Or at least give him a referral to a parenting class. I'd be horrified and embarrassed if I couldn't handle the kids enough to safely drive and needed to go to the police station.

Old 01-20-2010, 10:59 PM

3,046 posts, read 2,383,517 times
This guy's daughters are shoving and pulling his hair while he's driving? Someone's lost complete control.

Old 01-21-2010, 05:37 AM

705 posts, read 1,759,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
I think the father should have pulled the car over and given both of the girls a good smack, and HE can tell them the dangers of hitting someone in the car.

Oh, Irony. Do [smack] not [smack] hit [smack]

Old 01-21-2010, 11:58 AM

3,855 posts, read 13,266,248 times
I've threatened a time or two to just drop mine off at the station. But my son gets a rise out of police cars and fire trucks so he'd probably love it.....

Old 01-21-2010, 12:13 PM

1,571 posts, read 2,813,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
I think the father should have pulled the car over and given both of the girls a good smack, and HE can tell them the dangers of hitting someone in the car. It is obvious he has no control over his 9 year old's.......and it will only get worse as they get older.

Some Parents really do not have a clue.......................
If so he would have scoop to their level, this meaning no control. Funny how you're contradicting yourself.

He did the right thing in driving them to the police. Now they know it's wrong hitting and pull someone's hair while driving. Smacking would have been too easy.

Old 01-21-2010, 01:24 PM

4,507 posts, read 9,061,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunflower_lol View Post
If so he would have scoop to their level, this meaning no control. Funny how you're contradicting yourself.

He did the right thing in driving them to the police. Now they know it's wrong hitting and pull someone's hair while driving. Smacking would have been too easy.
They're 9 years old!! Are you telling me that it takes a visit to the police station for them to know this?
Haven't the parents taught them that it's wrong to hit and pull hair anywhere, anytime??

Funny, I never had to teach the kids not to hit me or pull my hair while I was driving. I'd consider myself lacking in parenting skills if I had to go to the POLICE station for them to get the message.

Old 01-21-2010, 01:32 PM

1,571 posts, read 2,813,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCyank View Post
They're 9 years old!! Are you telling me that it takes a visit to the police station for them to know this?
Haven't the parents taught them that it's wrong to hit and pull hair anywhere, anytime??
It can but to each, their own style. Not every would have done the same. Same as reactions and temperaments, everyone is different.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCyank View Post
Funny, I never had to teach the kids not to hit me or pull my hair while I was driving. I'd consider myself lacking in parenting skills if I had to go to the POLICE station for them to get the message.
Like I stated, everyone has their own styles so it's hard to rule on what is best. The reason I stated he/she was being contradictive is because if you hit (smack, whatever you want to call it out, it's still using physical force) then you're doing the same thing. You are teaching not to hit but yet you're doing it too??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting