Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2010, 05:59 PM

1,492 posts, read 3,232,469 times

Advertisements

Calling ahead sounds interesting. Maybe they have more kids in house than they are allowed to have.

Our kids usually did 2 days / week in day care. It was a big chain provider and they are usually the worst for having rigid rules. But they never had any requirement to call nor any problem with siblings coming in either.

Even though I do leave our kids in the car with the engine running and the air conditioning on, these days that is not politically correct and I would be surprised if others would do it and so it would be strange for a day care centre to insist on it. Given that often a parent who has one kid in day care has other kids perhaps school age in the car. Bizzare.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2010, 08:32 PM

650 posts, read 2,178,887 times
I didn't read all of the responses, but I used to teach at a preschool/daycare in NH. There was not a rule/law that parents had to leave unenrolled children in the car to drop off another child when I worked there. My child would not be attending a daycare/school where the entire family was not welcome.

Old 01-18-2010, 10:36 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,042,133 times
My mom ran an in-home daycare (she called it what it was) and there were rules (this was in a different state, though) regarding the adult/child ratio within the home during the hours of operation of her daycare business. But she never went so far as to tell parents to leave other children in their cars when they came to pick up their kids who were in her care all day. That seems really far-fetched and, well, like you said OP - "weird".

OP:Why are you leaving your child somewhere that you don't like or think is "weird"? And you're right - donuts are not appropriate and healthy snacks for growing children. My mom also had to keep a strict meal plan which provided all the food groups at meal times as well as healthy snacks.

Something sounds not quite right with this so-called "school".

Old 01-19-2010, 07:44 AM

235 posts, read 510,487 times
That sounds really fishy. We're told just the opposite, do NOT leave other children unattended in cars when picking up/dropping off.

Old 01-19-2010, 09:32 AM

18 posts, read 45,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haggardhouseelf View Post
OP:Why are you leaving your child somewhere that you don't like or think is "weird"? And you're right - donuts are not appropriate and healthy snacks for growing children. My mom also had to keep a strict meal plan which provided all the food groups at meal times as well as healthy snacks.

Something sounds not quite right with this so-called "school".
I think this policy is weird. I think the food program dreadful. He is taken care of, and likes the other kids, the teachers, etc. I am considering moving him, but like I said earlier, it would only be for a few months a my job will end come May and not start up again until the fall. I like the daycare owner, she is a loving warm person. If not the most business savvy person in the world, which is why I think they don't understand the rule, rather than having some sneaky hidden agenda to keep the parents out. I am welcome to drop in any time, unannounced. It is hard to find affordable daycare in my town, and if I can find something better on short notice I might just remove him. But if not, then I will just stick it out until the spring- donuts, policy quirks and all. Then spend the summer trying to find a better option.

Old 01-19-2010, 03:50 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,042,133 times
There was one child that my mom cared for whose parents were vegan and they were raising their son to be vegan. They brought his snacks and food every day, and my mom made an exception for him (ordinarily the kids were only allowed to eat what was served, it was part of the food program her daycare used... she called it "food commodities"?? I dunno...). I wonder if you could work out a situation like that for your child? It was actually pretty cool for me and the other kids at the time because we were able to learn about different kinds of diets and vegetables we'd never heard of because of all the interesting food they'd bring for their son every day.

Old 01-19-2010, 04:06 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
Healthy eating aside, I'm a bit surprised about the donuts because that's an expensive way to feed children.

Old 01-19-2010, 10:19 PM

2,542 posts, read 6,913,045 times
If you can, check out different daycares now for next year since it would be a time that your child would actually attend. Most daycares will look very different during the summer.

Check out the NH state website and look for a good point-source for state daycare requirements. I think that would be the easiest way to figure out the issue.

Old 01-20-2010, 08:47 AM

1,327 posts, read 3,677,191 times
:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
In a day where parents get arrested for leaving their children unattended in cars, that's just downright scary that they'd make it a rule to leave your child in the car.

I'm most concerned about their policy that you call ahead for them to walk your child out. (When that provider leaves the building to walk your child to the car, that messes up their student/teacher ratio too!) Makes me wonder why they don't want parents just walking in on them. That was a big one for me. I didn't want my child anywhere I couldn't just walk in without notice. Calling ahead to announce your arrival should be a huge red flag that this isn't a place you want your child.

Go interview other prospective "schools" and ask them their policies. Sounds like a change might be in order.

Way back when, when my son was in daycare...I worked at a grocery store so my hours were always different. I took him to a daycare that was close to the store I was working at. One day I came in around 9 in the a.m. everything was dark and quiet. Nothing real strange going on, but I got a really bad vibe. They preceded to tell me all the kids had to be there by 7, supposedly so they could insure they had breakfast (I fed my son breakfast when we went in late, believe me he was a chubby kid and never went without). That day I looked for a new daycare and found one I was very happy with. Bright rooms, you could show up anytime for drop off or pick up and the staff was always friendly. They were even nice at the times I got a little behind on payment.
Living in Florida and the amount of carjackings there are there I NEVER left my kids in a car alone, no matter what an inconvience it was.

You should never take your kids anywhere that you are not comfortable with, go with your instincts.

Old 01-21-2010, 06:21 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,282,830 times
Sounds like they want forewarning when someone is coming so they can look like they are actually taking care of the kids and not sitting on their rears watching tv all day or worse. Sorry, I would pull my child out of there NOW.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting