Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2010, 06:06 PM

18 posts, read 45,251 times

Advertisements

I use an in-home day care. We live in New Hampshire. The "school" as they like to refer to themselves, has a policy that no child who is not enrolled can come in the building during pick offf/drop off. They must remain in the car. They would like us to call when we are on the way and they willl walk out the "enrollee". They have this policy because they claim that the non-attendee will affect the child/teacher ratio and make them go over their numbers.

This seems nonsensical to me. If it truly is NH state law, then this state is even weirder than I thought. If this the daycare's skewed interpretation of the law, then this daycare is even weirder than I thought. (dunkin donuts to me are not an appropriate "snack". This happens several times a week. But that's another story) Anyway it does not really make sense that while another adult is present, and that child is under my control, for lack of a better term, that it should not matter and the ratio should not be affected. Plus it would seem to me that once the parent arrives for pick up, the enrollee is now off the docket since the parent is present and hand off is more or less implied. I tried looking this up on line, but did not get anywhere. Is there anyone out there who is savvy reagrding these rules and can explain this to me? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2010, 06:08 PM

4,156 posts, read 11,007,321 times
Are you sure that this daycare is licensed? Sounds like they may not be.

Old 01-17-2010, 06:13 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
In a day where parents get arrested for leaving their children unattended in cars, that's just downright scary that they'd make it a rule to leave your child in the car.

I'm most concerned about their policy that you call ahead for them to walk your child out. (When that provider leaves the building to walk your child to the car, that messes up their student/teacher ratio too!) Makes me wonder why they don't want parents just walking in on them. That was a big one for me. I didn't want my child anywhere I couldn't just walk in without notice. Calling ahead to announce your arrival should be a huge red flag that this isn't a place you want your child.

Go interview other prospective "schools" and ask them their policies. Sounds like a change might be in order.

Old 01-17-2010, 07:30 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,724,400 times
I've never heard of that. Keep us posted, though; I'll be curious to hear what final verdict is! I can understand why they would have to tell parents that non-enrolled kids must be attended at all times by the parent and aren't allowed to hang around and play -- maybe they've had a problem with that in the past and instead of dealing with it head-on they've created this new policy as an easy way out?

I agree that the "you must call ahead thing" (at least for those who have other children with them) is a also a red flag, although not necessarily a huge one if parents without other kids with them are allowed to show up unannounced. Still, added to everything else it does sound like a weird place, or at least not a very professional place.

Old 01-17-2010, 09:41 PM

511 posts, read 2,198,947 times
I agree with Hopes. Having to call ahead seems like a big red flag to me. I've never herd of anything like that before. And I can't see that part of it being state policy.

Old 01-17-2010, 10:13 PM

853 posts, read 4,035,447 times
I don't live in NH so I am not familiar with the rules. However, all parents bring their kids with them to pick up/drop off where I live, and I am sure we have ratio laws (and not leaving kids in car laws!).

It sounds like there are red flags with the daycare almost any way you look at it (unless NH really has those rules which I find hard to believe). Maybe post in NH forum if you can?

Old 01-17-2010, 10:15 PM

853 posts, read 4,035,447 times
I just thought of something else......

Can parents without enrolled kids bring their kids in (for example, when checking out the "school)? If yes, that would contradict their ratio rules as they use them (I think).

Old 01-17-2010, 10:23 PM

1,106 posts, read 3,532,287 times
My baby wouldn't be there.

Old 01-18-2010, 05:05 AM

2,856 posts, read 10,429,058 times
MY child would NEVER be in a setting where a random "drop in" was NOT allowed, let alone not allowing me to come IN to pick them up.

I wouldn't keep my kids there. I'd call and tell the "school" that I was removing them from their care and end the convo with..."Hope it doesn't effect your ratio"

Old 01-18-2010, 05:36 AM

4,502 posts, read 13,466,626 times
If I were you, I would:

1. find the law on day care in your state & get a copy of it;

2. find out if this place is properly licensed;

3. find out if there have ever been any complaints about the place;

4. if the place isn't licensed or there are too many complaints, get your child out of there;

5. if it is licensed and you want your child to remain there, present the law to these people showing the adult/child ratio and tell them you will be bringing your other child in with you & won't be calling ahead to warn of your arrival.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting