Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2010, 03:08 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,027,765 times

Advertisements

I just had a facebook friend post that her teen daughter is upset because she made her stay home from school (she's been sick) today so she can play in her big game tonight. First off, I'm surprised the school would allow a student to play if she wasn't at school that day. Second, if she's too sick for school, isn't she too sick for the game? Are this mom's priorities out of whack?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2010, 03:13 PM

1,327 posts, read 3,668,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
I just had a facebook friend post that her teen daughter is upset because she made her stay home from school (she's been sick) today so she can play in her big game tonight. First off, I'm surprised the school would allow a student to play if she wasn't at school that day. Second, if she's too sick for school, isn't she too sick for the game? Are this mom's priorities out of whack?

If you don't go to school, you don't get to play.
The mothers priorities are out of whack.

Old 01-22-2010, 03:24 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,340,050 times
Ditto. My kids alway knew - even in elem school - if you stay home or come home sick - you are done for the day.

Old 01-22-2010, 03:30 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,569,465 times
Quote:
Yes, mom's priorities are out of whack.

Also, I'm surprised that school policy would allow this. That was not the case where my kids went to school. If, for any reason, you weren't in school you didn't participate in extra-curricular activities.

Old 01-22-2010, 03:37 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,808,705 times
Quote:
Will the school let her play if she is not there? At our school you need to attend school for at least 3 hours to be eligible to participate in any school activity that day. However, if my child were mildly ill and could stay home to gather enough energy to play in the big game and the school would allow it, I would let him stay home. I assume we are talking about a mild upper respiratory type illness and not a really serious illness.

Old 01-22-2010, 03:46 PM

I think she said a few days ago that it was strep. I don't know the school rules. I also don't know for sure if it is a school sport. It could be some other kind of league, but I kind of doubt it.

Old 01-22-2010, 04:24 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,808,705 times
Quote:
I think she said a few days ago that it was strep. I don't know the school rules. I also don't know for sure if it is a school sport. It could be some other kind of league, but I kind of doubt it.
If it was strep a few days ago and she has been on antibiotics she should be fine to play. She should also be ok for school. I can understand wanting her to rest a bit before strenuous exercise.

Old 01-22-2010, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
If it was strep a few days ago and she has been on antibiotics she should be fine to play. She should also be ok for school. I can understand wanting her to rest a bit before strenuous exercise.
I can understand that too, except that school is more important than sports.

Old 01-22-2010, 05:00 PM

758 posts, read 1,865,638 times
Exactly! I don't see how anyone could justify not being in school to rest up for a game. The priorities are mixed up. Our schools have the same policy, if you're not in school you don't play. Like you mentioned though it could be a non-school related sport, which in my book is still a no-no.

Old 01-22-2010, 05:23 PM

2,966 posts, read 3,897,856 times
I agree - my rule is if you're not in school that day, there will be no sports or hanging with friends. At my kids' school, the rule is that you must be in school that day to play in a game. I'm not sure about practice though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting