Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-05-2012, 07:01 PM

1,899 posts, read 2,852,168 times

Advertisements

I have seen a lot of great things people have done with their kids and there are a few I wish I had done with my own. I am not talking about discipline or even the regular day-to-day stuff. Traditions that your family followed. I think it would be great to list them to give other people ideas of what they could do.

Recently I watched a Youtube video of a guy in his 20s now. His dad had taken a picture of him every day of his life. He would meet up with his son every day (even long-ish distances) to take a picture of him. There were only a couple of days missing. I thought it was amazing that the dad was that dedicated to the project and the son even got excited about it.

I have a "growth tree". It is a 6' tree painted on a piece of plywood attached to DD's wall. Every year, on her birthday, we measure her, My mom (fantastic artist) then paints a new branch to represent her height for the year. The year is drawn into one of the leaves. It is on the plywood so that we can move it if we ever decide to move or if we need to repaint her walls.

I thought someone on this site mentioned a video they were taking of their kids to show them when they were older.

What little traditions does your family have? What do you wish you had done?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2012, 02:08 AM

7,975 posts, read 7,353,461 times
I wish I would have kept the baby books current...I did it with my oldest for about six months, then kind of forgot about it. My youngest daughter's book is almost blank. When I look at mine, and DH's, I feel very guilty - our moms were meticulous about posting EVERY milestone we had.

Old 12-06-2012, 08:42 AM

2,848 posts, read 7,581,189 times
A couple friends of mine did this and I thought it was great - they took a picture from birth and then at the end of every single month with the child next to the same specific toy or stuffed animals. Amazing to chart the growth and the emerging personality of the child.

Old 12-06-2012, 09:05 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,771,454 times
Interview your kids on video. Ask them old "Candid Camera" Alan Funt questions that force the kids to make up answers.
Save in Education IRAs or other college savings accounts from birth
Measure their height against a wall on their birthdays
I videotaped my kids when they were five or so and asked them "What would you want to say to your future husband?" I plan on playing this back at their weddings.

Old 12-07-2012, 09:26 AM

20,393 posts, read 14,667,898 times
I wish I had got more video of the kids. I've got a few little clips that I watch over and over...

One thing we've done, I have stopped buying the school photos and instead take them to Walmart or some other studio (wherever I can get a deal)--I save money and we have more flexibility. We bring a prop that is meaningful to the kid. I have some great portraits of my 13 year old with his viola. The instrument was an expensive gift, so it was good to send those pics to the family member who paid for it.

We also do an annual family portrait (similar, inexpensive portrait studio) and since at Walmart in particular you can only pick one photo to be the entire package if you're going with the cheapo deal, instead of picking the most perfect family portrait, I pick the silliest one. The one where someone is making a ridiculous face or something. We are a silly family, so we like to look at those pictures on the wall and laugh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting