Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 08:08 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,167,496 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoExcuses View Post
Since money is an issue at home, the daughter should have had a job in high school to save for a car, or go to college where she doesn't need a car.
ya, and why wasn't this figured out BEFORE deciding on that college?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2010, 08:14 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,951,751 times
If he agreed to pay 50% of the college costs, tell him if she doesn't have transportation, next semester she will need money for a dorm and a food plan. Maybe he will see the light!

Old 01-26-2010, 08:18 PM

2,605 posts, read 4,692,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
If he agreed to pay 50% of the college costs, tell him if she doesn't have transportation, next semester she will need money for a dorm and a food plan. Maybe he will see the light!
A lot of the responsibility lays in the daughter's hands. She decided on a college where she would need transportation. Why doesn't she take out loans like everybody else does? There are grants, etc. that help as well. She can stay in a dorm and work part time.

What is she, a princess?

Old 01-26-2010, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoExcuses View Post
A lot of the responsibility lays in the daughter's hands. She decided on a college where she would need transportation. Why doesn't she take out loans like everybody else does? There are grants, etc. that help as well. She can stay in a dorm and work part time.

What is she, a princess?
I don't think I'd go that far based on the OP

Old 01-26-2010, 08:46 PM

6,497 posts, read 11,814,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
ya, and why wasn't this figured out BEFORE deciding on that college?
That would require forethought. They believed all they needed was a judge to interpret the terms of the divorce in her favor.

Reality bites.

Old 01-26-2010, 08:49 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,734,165 times
To be fair to the OP and her daughter, I can see why she'd ask. Let's say the OP doesn't have a lot of money, her ex has money to spare (not clear if he does or not), the OP wishes she could buy a car for her daughter, and is frustrated that her ex won't help out. I think that if a parent can afford to buy a car for his or her child and wants to do so then there's nothing wrong with that, but I think it's also fine (and an equally valid parenting decision) to choose not to do, either, regardless of whether the parent has the money or not.

Now if the daughter is demanding a car then she could qualify for princess status, but at this point we've only heard from a mother who wants to help out her kid.

Old 01-26-2010, 08:53 PM

2,589 posts, read 10,555,537 times
Kids should purchase their own car. (I did and my kids did)

Old 01-26-2010, 09:04 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,721,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelstress View Post
That would require forethought. They believed all they needed was a judge to interpret the terms of the divorce in her favor.

Reality bites.
Maybe they've been divorced since the child was two and this issue was unforseen back then???

Look, this is a mom, on a limited budget trying to make sure her daughter can go to college. I'm sure it is a great disappointment to her that her ex doesn't seem to care about HOW the kid gets to school and was hoping he's help share the cost, there is nothing wrong with that. And the truth is, whichever parent a kid lives with is usually the parent who gets screwed on expenses - as child support never covers everything.

Old 01-26-2010, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Maybe they've been divorced since the child was two and this issue was unforseen back then???

Look, this is a mom, on a limited budget trying to make sure her daughter can go to college. I'm sure it is a great disappointment to her that her ex doesn't seem to care about HOW the kid gets to school and was hoping he's help share the cost, there is nothing wrong with that.
I didn't mean it should have been specified in a divorce that happened who knows how long ago. I meant that when the daughter was in HS, thinking about where to go to college, "how will I get there" should have been thought of and discussed. But I also think it would be nice of dad to pitch in, even if it is a loan, or the daughter, mom, and dad, all go in together, or whatever.

Old 01-27-2010, 08:04 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,240,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post

Look, this is a mom, on a limited budget trying to make sure her daughter can go to college. I'm sure it is a great disappointment to her that her ex doesn't seem to care about HOW the kid gets to school and was hoping he's help share the cost, there is nothing wrong with that. And the truth is, whichever parent a kid lives with is usually the parent who gets screwed on expenses - as child support never covers everything.
Fathers can't be on limited budget? He is paying for 1/2 of her college isn't he?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting