Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2010, 11:42 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,877,627 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarNorthDallas View Post
Our public school is having a freshman dance at a country club and the invitation specifically states, "this is not the freshman prom, no limos." So, maybe your school has an opinion on the subject, too?
LOL!!!!

I actually don't mind that stipulation. It gets rid of the crap that can go along w/ the other things in their life at that age. My only thing was logistics and getting that many kids from Point A to Point B and back to Point A. Thought of the big yellow school bus as well but figured they would not go for that..... I've already told mine that we are NOT spending a fortune on this thing. We spent way too much on her homecoming dress but we found one we both agreed on and it was decent. Some of the dresses out there . For shoes for this one she finally realized mom knows something. She wanted flats but we found some sandals that are DARLING with her dress so she now has a pair of shoes she can wear w/ anything as they are flats and they were very reasonable in price. Told her we were NOT getting her hair done either. We can do that here at home. Some people spend WAY TOO MUCH money on some of these dances. One girl is getting TWO DRESSES! One for the banquet before since she was nominated for something and then one for the dance. CRAZY!!!!

Anyway, no, her school does not have any stipulations on the mode of transportation to/from the event.

OH, this made me remember. A few years ago for the city run Parks & Rec "Father/Daughter Dance" about 4 girls showed up in a stretch Hummer Limo to it with their dads. At a CITY REC CENTER!!!! They were in the SIXTH GRADE!!!!! NO WAY!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2010, 11:43 AM

2,605 posts, read 4,693,382 times
That's $35.00/person without the cost of the dance. Our local high school just had it's Winter Ball; semi-formal. Each ticket was $20.00. Had we done what you are proposing, it would have been $55.00/person. Assuming there are a few young men who believes he is to pay for dates, that would cost him $110.00 for an evening out, and IMO, that's too much even for prom.

What is the cost of each dance ticket?

I wouldn't pay $10.00 for fajitas. Sorry. Especially for a group meal where there might be a few big eaters (the boys) who get twice as much as those who don't eat so much (girls being ladylike), or some end up still hungry because there wasn't enough to go around.

Add that on to the price of the dance ticket, I would discourage my daughter.

Last edited by NoExcuses; 01-27-2010 at 12:48 PM..

Old 01-27-2010, 11:45 AM

3,269 posts, read 9,935,547 times
I'd be all over splitting the cost of the limo. Much rather that than go back and forth so many times. Great idea catering a dinner for them all also (one I am going to remember for when my kid's are older). $10pp is a good price and I see no reason people wouldn't want to pay for that...or any reason you should.

Old 01-27-2010, 11:46 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
Okay, have a question to pose before I ask the other parents. We have an upcoming dance at my oldest daughters school. There will be about 20 of them that are coming to our house for pictures and then dinner before the dance. We all figured this was actually cheaper to have food brought in and easier thatn all of them trying to go somewhere and us parents having to tote them to 3 locations (not all of them drive and some of the girls w/ dates that do are not allowed to "car date" ). So pictures at our house then dinner here which is going to run about $10pp. Not bad I'd say and it is going to be fajita's catered in.

My question concerns the transportation for all of the kids from our house to the dance and then BACK to our house after the dance for the "after dance party". The parents would have to bring the kids at say 4:00 for pictures then come back at 7:30 to take them to the dance that is about 10 miles away. THEN go pick them up at the dance and bring them back to our house for a few hours and then come BACK to pick them up later that night. That would be FOUR TRIPS to our house alone. I called and did some checking and I can get a big stretch limo for about $25 per person for the limo that holds 20. Add in dinner and that is about $35 pp or $70 per couple. As a parent would you go for it? Or would you rather spend half the day/night carting the kids back and forth? I mean we would have about 10 parents having to take the kids back and forth. ????????
Actually, a limo that holds that many people scares me, badly. In an accident it's like being in a tin can, so I'd probably say no if it were my kid.

I would instead suggest you go with one of those mini buses like retirement communities use - they hold about 20 I believe and are safer. It would be worth the money to me to do that for sure

Old 01-27-2010, 12:19 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,877,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Actually, a limo that holds that many people scares me, badly. In an accident it's like being in a tin can, so I'd probably say no if it were my kid.

I would instead suggest you go with one of those mini buses like retirement communities use - they hold about 20 I believe and are safer. It would be worth the money to me to do that for sure
Those run a LOT more. I asked. However, our church has one and did think about calling and asking about and we would fill the tank and all. Hubby has a CDL as does my dad so I've got people that are legit to drive it. My concern there was the liability issues. I do not want the church liable if something should happen and ours personally if hubby is driving. Trust him driving and all but just don't want to even think about it as we could never get over it if something did. See, I way over analyze things.

Old 01-27-2010, 12:44 PM

2,605 posts, read 4,693,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post

There is a limo business next door to me. He has a number of stretch limos. I've ridden in a couple. Believe me, they are not 'like being in a tin can' any more than a regular car. In fact, they are built sturdier than a car because the chassis is so long.

He also has a bus. I don't think the price is much different that the stretch. His Excursions are more expensive than the regular stretch though.

He charges $50.00/hour, so I'm wondering why it would be $25.00/rider to this dance. That's a ripoff.

Old 01-27-2010, 12:50 PM

3,086 posts, read 7,615,317 times
Ok, after reading all the responses so far here's my thoughts.

Even if the idea wasn't yours to begin with and even if the kids are paying for it, it's still in essence a party you are hosting. They are going to your house, taking pictures at your house, eating dinner at your house, and returning to your house afterward.

If it were me in your shoes, I'd simply change it to a family evening and invite the parents all over for the duration. They can be there to take their own pictures, contribute to the food and transportation and hang around for some adult company while the kids are actually at the dance.

If they are 14/15/16 as it seems they are, it sounds like a bit much for just a dance. However, if it were something a parent wanted to offer for their child and their friends, then I think it should be on them. The only thing the kids should be paying for is the actual dance at that age. Most dances around here sell things like pizza and hot dogs so they could actually eat there if needed.

As a parent we simply could not pay that kind of money for a dance night out and our kid would probably have to bow out of participating. If the kids all come from money where you are, then that might not be an issue, but it is one to consider. While it's a good deal to you, it's way too much for us.

Old 01-27-2010, 01:05 PM

3,855 posts, read 13,267,811 times
I hope my kids never go this nuts over prom/formal dances <if they do there is a reality check coming>.

Just a personal note: As a guy that age I absolutely hated this kind of event. It wasn't us being ourselves. When you start throwing up dollar signs some of the kids may turn away. It's what some people may consider excessive. (I would)

Old 01-27-2010, 01:23 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,736,582 times
I think the price is pretty reasonable, and I'm certainly not one to think that spending money on dances and things is worth it. I wouldn't pay for it as a parent, but if my kid wanted to go and wanted to pay then I think it's fine. I might kick in money for a limo to avoid having to deal with the hassle (and yes, expense) of driving.

$10 for dinner is pretty cheap. Some of you must live in places with very low cost of living. That's just a small step up above dinner at Subway. It doesn't seem excessive.

I think a limo for the sake of a limo is excessive, but a limo at a great deal as an affordable alternative to driving seems perfectly reasonable. If parents are otherwise expected to drive 10 miles each way to and from a dance then it starts to make that per person amount sound like a much better deal. If other parents want to put together a carpool or something then maybe that would be a good alternative, but the limo idea makes a lot of sense. It's just like an extra-large taxi.

Old 01-27-2010, 01:35 PM
Gue

24,118 posts, read 10,142,567 times
I think it's a great idea & make sure you have figured in a tip for the driver!

& I would totally take my DD to get her hair done too!

Great job in taking the initiative to take the stress out of the evening!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting