Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2010, 08:28 PM

853 posts, read 4,036,508 times

Advertisements

If you think there is a chance that your daughter did not think she was breaking the house rules (maybe the rules were "no boys allowed" or something), then I would talk to her about rules in terms of making sure she understands them, and not that she broke them. This could even be a good way to help the situation, depending on how strict and clear your house rules are.

I know this may not be the case, it's just a thought.

Also, I agree with the posters that said to talk to your daughter and mend the relationship before talking about rule breaking.

I hope everything works out for both of you.

Old 01-31-2010, 08:49 PM

50,351 posts, read 63,939,201 times
You seem to be a very emotional type. I suggest you get a grip on yourself. What has your daughter said? Anything? IS she a lesbian, or was she just experimenting?
I do not have any gay children, but in our circle of close friends there are four families who do, so I have some knowledge about what a blow it can be if you didn't see it coming. I can only tell you that after the initial shock and disbelief, it doesn't take long to realize that your child is just the same person she was on January 9th.
All the hopes you have for her should not change because of your daughter's sexual preference. She'll, hopefully, be happy, get a good education, be successful, and find someone to love.
Accept her and love her or you will wind up estranged from her. I've seen mothers who can't let go of the control they maintain over their chuldren and it always turns out badly.

Old 01-31-2010, 08:54 PM

648 posts, read 1,174,267 times
Good points (last 2 posters). Re- the comment about control-- She very well may be rebelling against you because she knows this is exactly the thing that would make you freak out the most. And, it sure worked!! By the way,, you're already thinking they 'had sex'.... did it ever occur to you they may not have actually done anything? They might have just been hanging out in the bed (curious about what the other looked like), giggling and talking about boys... it's a possibility.

Old 01-31-2010, 09:08 PM

236 posts, read 237,013 times
Hey montaukmadness, both of us are very sorry and a little appalled at some of the acrimonious posts you got here.
Some of you said that homosexuality was bad etc etc etc which is exactly one of the reasons this Mom reacted the way she did. She's terrified of her daughter being, at any time , at your mercy (of which you demonstrate none). She's afraid for her daughter, and you know what? Sometimes when we get afraid we get angry, then when we get angry we hurt.

Montaukmadness, you need each other right now. Is she gay? Is she Bi? Was she just experimenting? (my (Doug's) sister did this, then went on to marry and is still married to the guy 25 years later with two grown sons.) If she's gay, she's facing an uphill battle and your love will be the thing that gives her the strength and bravery she'll need. Gay women do have kids you know.

Be patient with yourself, and her. If there's anything, anything either one of us can say to help you get through this, please feel free to message us, rather than try withstand the polarity in the forums.

For those of you that have been so supportive, THANK YOU! This is site impresses us every day with good people like you!

sincerely and respectfully, -Doug and Bill of thosemeninlove

Last edited by thosemeninlove; 01-31-2010 at 09:32 PM..

Old 01-31-2010, 10:27 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,025,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoNewk View Post
To the OP,
I've raised teenagers. I understand how things they do can hurt, and how we parents can easily over-react. As an older parent -- and grandparent -- let me just say that you need to apologize to your daughter and tell her you'll try to do better in the future. That's the first step. THEN talk to her about house rules, etc. (Personally, I'd rather my teenager was having sex in my house than elsewhere, but that's your decision. I'd just tell her she's a little young to be experimenting with other people.)

But you've got to talk to her and set things right or you risk losing her forever. Please take it upon yourself. YOU are the adult here. Take charge. Don't point fingers and lay blame. Get this last episode straightened out and then worry about preventing the next one. If you don't do this, you could easily lose your daughter and your future grandkids for the rest of your life. That would be a shame for you AND your daughter AND your future grandkids/great grandkids.
I just wanted to say that this is the most important advice in this thread.

The OP does need to apologize because she does risk losing her child and future grandchildren if she doesn't overcome her issues.

I have ALWAYS apologized to my children when I haven't handled something well.

Parents can't expect children to be accountable for their actions if the parents don't take responsibility for their own actions.

This isn't a time for excuses and crutches (anxiety/panic issues). This is a time for a sincere apology.

Old 01-31-2010, 10:30 PM

37,131 posts, read 42,200,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Am I the only one who thinks this is a bogus post? "Mom" here is probably a guy getting his rocks off seeing how you react to a scenario of his fantasies.
No you aren't, it's the first thing I think of when a newbie post's something off the wall and super ignorant.

Old 02-01-2010, 01:02 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,347,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighter 1 View Post
Thanks , glad some one here is checking spelling that really helps the issues .
Now we just need someone to fix your grammar.

How are we supposed to take you seriously and think of you as a worldly, educated, wise person if you can't even handle basic grammar and spelling?

It's a credibility killer. That's why it matters.

Old 02-01-2010, 07:52 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,818,241 times
There's always the very good chance that's she's not actually gay but was just experimenting...

Old 02-01-2010, 08:45 AM

2,605 posts, read 4,691,677 times
I'm with Ceece and Cava, I think this is a trolling thread set up for entertainment. The entertainment of the OP

Old 02-01-2010, 09:30 AM

9,444 posts, read 17,380,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoExcuses View Post
I'm with Ceece and Cava, I think this is a trolling thread set up for entertainment. The entertainment of the OP
You know, the worst thing is when a person behind the computer is going through a real problem and after sharing it, being accused of being a fake. There is always an option to just not reply if you think the thread is posted by a troll.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.