Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2010, 10:44 PM

2,383 posts, read 6,057,979 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisalan View Post
Exactly. Some people are so cheap that they want to know EXACTLY how many people are coming so they can order the EXACT amount of food.

We had three parties this year. My daughter had a skating party that she invited classmates to and my son had a Chuck E Cheese party that he invited classmates to. Then, they had a joint luau at our pool that the neighborhood kids were invited to.
For my daughter's party, the max kid invite was 10, and 10 RSVP'd to come and three did not show up, did not call, nothing. I was irritated! I had spent about $5 on each party favor, counting on all 10 being there and had I known that three people were not going to show up I could have invited a few other people instead. At the end of it, I was left returning 3 party favors for people that had RSVP'd and did not show.
For the joint party, we had several people who did not RSVP and then again, 3 that did and then did not show.
It's rude when someone says they are going to attend and then doesn't without an explanation. It's also rude when someone takes the time to invite you to a party and you don't respond. It has nothing to do with being cheap, but everything to do with manners. If more adults practiced good manners in today's society, the kid's that everyone on this forum are always complaining about, might have better manners.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2010, 02:08 AM

3,430 posts, read 4,336,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
That's very mature. If you don't care, don't post.

You have to turn everything into an argument. Oh and I'm actually really tired of the name calling as well. So how about you leave me alone?
Focus your energy on calling the RUDE people who haven't rsvp'd you.

Old 07-09-2010, 02:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvcgal View Post
We had three parties this year. My daughter had a skating party that she invited classmates to and my son had a Chuck E Cheese party that he invited classmates to. Then, they had a joint luau at our pool that the neighborhood kids were invited to.
For my daughter's party, the max kid invite was 10, and 10 RSVP'd to come and three did not show up, did not call, nothing. I was irritated! I had spent about $5 on each party favor, counting on all 10 being there and had I known that three people were not going to show up I could have invited a few other people instead. At the end of it, I was left returning 3 party favors for people that had RSVP'd and did not show.
For the joint party, we had several people who did not RSVP and then again, 3 that did and then did not show.
It's rude when someone says they are going to attend and then doesn't without an explanation. It's also rude when someone takes the time to invite you to a party and you don't respond. It has nothing to do with being cheap, but everything to do with manners. If more adults practiced good manners in today's society, the kid's that everyone on this forum are always complaining about, might have better manners.

Here's an idea. If you KNOW people are not going to rsvp basedon your past experiences pick up the phone and call them and voila you will have a more immediate answer.

Old 07-09-2010, 07:55 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,167,496 times
Quote:
You have to turn everything into an argument. Oh and I'm actually really tired of the name calling as well. So how about you leave me alone?
Focus your energy on calling the RUDE people who haven't rsvp'd you.
funny how you always seem to be the common denominator in arguments on this forum. I don't seem to have that problem... ... and I thought I was on your "ignore" list anyway... guess not.

Old 07-09-2010, 10:00 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,687,668 times
Well, I was going to post about this, but the fight is far better, lol.

Anyway, I find it really annoying when people don't RSVP to invites, no matter the form. It is a point of common courtesy and respect. Yes, we are all busy doing our own things, but it is only fair to take the 2 minutes and respond. It is also common courtesy to call if you had said you would be there, but later can't attend. The lack of respect for RSVP's seems to be getting more and more these days and I'm not sure why.

I remember for my wedding ending up with a list of 16 people out of 150 that never sent a response. My wife and I had to take the time to call every one of them and confirm whether or not they would be there and what they wanted to eat. This wasn't a kid's party, it was a wedding. I did have one good example of a courteous person though. My friend and his wife are partners in a restraunt and had confirmed they would be at our wedding. The day of their manager got into a car accident and they had a busy night planned. He called me immediately and apologized that they would not be able to attend. We were able to use their places at the reception to invite the two musicians at the ceremony to attend the reception instead of spending all night wondering where Mike and Heather were.

When it comes to kids parties, it's not really about the money over the $5 goodie bag or the pizza's that need to be ordered, it's just about common courtesy and respect. It's even more of an issue if the party is somewhere besides a house and you need to provide a headcount or have to limit the number of guests.

At the end of school this year my son was invited to three parties. One was still during school that we couldn't attend as we had another engagement the same day. One was planned for the immediate end of the school year, that we were also unable to attend since my son was leaving for a vacation with his grandparents at their shore home. The third is coming up soon and we will be attending. In all three cases we RSVP'd our regrets or our acceptance. We generally waited until it was close to the respond date before we called, just to make sure our schedule didn't change and every time the other parents were very greatful that we called as almost no one had.

Old 07-09-2010, 11:58 AM

852 posts, read 1,365,272 times
Well, this thread reminded me to rsvp for a birthday party my daughter was invited to, and I just made that call! LOL. I've noticed a decline in RSVPs too when I use traditional invitations for my daughters' parties, but I have better luck with facebook messages, emails, or texts. I think that people have just changed the way they communicate.

Old 07-09-2010, 12:35 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,302,323 times
Quote:
That's why you should just call/email people to invite them that way you get an answer. Most people just have bad memories or are really bsy and just forget to respond.
Quote:
give me a break. I guess you are one of those that people don't get an RSVP from.

ETA - that's what an evite IS - an e-mail invitation.

At my son's birthday party in January, one of the moms RSVPed via phone that they were coming. Still didn't show up. LOL

Old 07-09-2010, 12:36 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,302,323 times
Quote:
Exactly. Some people are so cheap that they want to know EXACTLY how many people are coming so they can order the EXACT amount of food.

OMG. People actually want a head count so they could ::GASP:: budget and plan the party!? The unholy horror of it all!

Old 07-09-2010, 02:50 PM

Quote:
funny how you always seem to be the common denominator in arguments on this forum. I don't seem to have that problem... ... and I thought I was on your "ignore" list anyway... guess not.

common denominator=you. Now why don't you just pick up the phone and physically call the people who did not rsvp back? Its not that difficult and it beats having to complain about the fact that no one rsvp'd you back now doesn't it...honestly.

Old 07-09-2010, 02:56 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,167,496 times
Quote:
common denominator=you. Now why don't you just pick up the phone and physically call the people who did not rsvp back? Its not that difficult and it beats having to complain about the fact that no one rsvp'd you back now doesn't it...honestly.
I rarely argue with anyone on here. 99% of the posts in this thread agree that people are rude to not respond to invites. You are the black sheep who thinks it's ok because you are too busy or whatever. It is about a lack of common courtesy. I shouldn't have to call them. I would, if I had to buy tickets for a show or sporting event ahead of time, or whatever, but I shouldn't have to. I invited you to a party. Ball's in your court to tell me if you are coming or not. I shouldn't have to pester you for an answer. If you don't like the complaining in this thread, don't read it. There are plenty of people on here trying to have an intelligent conversation on the topic. You really don't have to involve yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting