Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2010, 12:56 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
that's not really the point. Some places have a max number of kids that can attend. Goodie bags have to be prepared. That much pizza needs to be ordered ahead of time. It's rude to not RSVP and stressful to wait for people to RSVP.
Pizza for 19 seven-year-olds have to be ordered ahead of time????? Then order from two shops.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2010, 01:57 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,171,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Pizza for 19 seven-year-olds have to be ordered ahead of time????? Then order from two shops.
ya, that makes total sense. much better than people just responding to an invitation they were given. the point isn't how to try to deal with it when you don't know who is coming. The point is the lack of manners.

Old 07-12-2010, 06:12 AM

3,269 posts, read 9,935,547 times
Quote:
I sent a reminder about a week and a half before the party thanking the people who'd RSVP'd so far. I got one or two more after that. I'll probably send one a couple days before when I'm putting goodie bags together. I can see who looked at it when I first sent it, after the reminder, and one who still hasn't looked at it at all. The one that bugs me the most is the mom who is planning her son's party right now too. You'd think she'd understand why an RSVP is appreciated.
I would send an email saying you need to give final numbers to the place and need to know if they are attending. I have found most will respond to that and it's not you that is nagging it's "the place."

Also FYI when I get an evite and open it on my Blackberry rather than my computer it doesn't show as viewed to the sender!

Old 07-12-2010, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obrero View Post
I would send an email saying you need to give final numbers to the place and need to know if they are attending. I have found most will respond to that and it's not you that is nagging it's "the place."

Also FYI when I get an evite and open it on my Blackberry rather than my computer it doesn't show as viewed to the sender!
I had one person ask me to send her the info because she can't see it on her blackberry. Anyone else could have done the same.

I am trying to decide if I want to send one last request for RSVP's or just leave it alone. All of his best friends are coming. If the other parents didn't care enough to respond, I don't know if I care enough to remind them. Besides, if more people come now, I'll have to pay extra

I got an e-mail last night from one of the moms with an invite to her son's party (the one that has been rescheduled). She still hasn't responded to my invite! I feel like saying "I'll respond to yours if you respond to mine!" But I'm too polite for that.

Old 07-12-2010, 09:37 AM

5,244 posts, read 4,709,410 times
Quote:
I had one person ask me to send her the info because she can't see it on her blackberry. Anyone else could have done the same.

I am trying to decide if I want to send one last request for RSVP's or just leave it alone. All of his best friends are coming. If the other parents didn't care enough to respond, I don't know if I care enough to remind them. Besides, if more people come now, I'll have to pay extra

I got an e-mail last night from one of the moms with an invite to her son's party (the one that has been rescheduled). She still hasn't responded to my invite! I feel like saying "I'll respond to yours if you respond to mine!" But I'm too polite for that.
I would just leave it alone. It comes to a point where you just have to plan with the ones that have responded. I think a lot of people are out of town, or do not check their mailbox, and if it was emailed--yours went to junk mail. Who knows???
As for the one that has now invited you to her son's, go ahead and call her and rsvp for hers and say, "by the way, is your son able to come to my son's??"

Old 07-12-2010, 12:07 PM

3,169 posts, read 5,164,518 times
My daughter was in kindergarten. I sent a select few invitations with her to school for the kids she wanted at her party. The teacher sent me a note saying that if she didn't give everyone an invitation, she couldn't pass out any of them.

So I sent everyone an invitation. Fair enough, right? I think 4 people RSVPed by the deadline. A couple more RSVPed at the last minute. Why oh why did most all of the kids show up at the party? A couple brought siblings, too.

She had a great time and luckily, I had a bunch of food and fillers.

Old 07-12-2010, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by therewego View Post
I would just leave it alone. It comes to a point where you just have to plan with the ones that have responded. I think a lot of people are out of town, or do not check their mailbox, and if it was emailed--yours went to junk mail. Who knows???
As for the one that has now invited you to her son's, go ahead and call her and rsvp for hers and say, "by the way, is your son able to come to my son's??"
I'm over it. The ones that we know the best responded. all the others except one read the evite because it gives me the date that they read it. So, except for one, I know everyone read it. I'll probably get fired up again, though if people show up without bothering to respond.

Old 07-13-2010, 04:44 AM

3,269 posts, read 9,935,547 times
Quote:
I'm over it. The ones that we know the best responded. all the others except one read the evite because it gives me the date that they read it. So, except for one, I know everyone read it. I'll probably get fired up again, though if people show up without bothering to respond.
Now I would live in fear that everyone was going to show up and I wouldn't have enough party favors.

Old 07-13-2010, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obrero View Post
Now I would live in fear that everyone was going to show up and I wouldn't have enough party favors.
I put them all together last night. I put names on bags for everyone that RSVP'd. I made 3 extra bags with stuff left over from past parties, and will have stuff on hand to make more if needed. We should be ok!

Old 07-13-2010, 11:59 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,953,306 times
Yes, people have forgotten what it's like to behave in a mannerly way. Maybe it's because their parents didn't instill manners in them growing up. Part of it may be the deal the schools have with passing out invitations to the whole class or none at all. As a consequence, some parents don't know your child (or you) and find it easier to ignore the RSVP than if it was someone they knew.

Maybe it has to do with the mentality of having extravaganzas with a circus, a dinner, a pony and lovely parting gifts.

What's wrong with six or seven close friends that your kid plays with and have them play a few simple games, Twister, Pin the Tail etc. You can serve them chips and pretzels during the activities. Give them each a plain placemat and a box of crayons (they can take them home) and let them make their own custom-made mat. Bring out the cake and the ice cream and then a trinket from the dollar store and "thank you for coming" and gone.

It's surprising how well-behaved children can be without the over-stimulation of a gang of kids at Up-Chucky Cheese, or a bowling alley or a skating rink. JMO
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting