Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2010, 10:32 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
I truly hope you never ever hit bad times.

Yeah...do you honestly believe that every single (or even most) parents with too many children and not enough money or time is in that situation because 'something bad happened'?

Keep drinking the Koolaid. No one is ever responsible for anything in y'all's world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2010, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
Let me guess...

Under 30? No kids? College student?

LOL .
Just like your assessment of poor parenting, you're wrong again.

I've seen stuff you can't imagine. What that's taught me is that people have choices. And a lot of them make the wrong ones. And you can try and beg and plead for them not to, you can show them the right way, you can throw your own money at them, but if they have to have it their way, they're going to do it.

And yes. That makes it their fault.

Old 02-05-2010, 09:14 AM

17,372 posts, read 16,518,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Just like your assessment of poor parenting, you're wrong again.

I've seen stuff you can't imagine.
Well alright. Then I can't possibly understand where you are coming from, can I?

And, unless you have children of your own or a weight issue of your own, you have no idea where overweight people or their parents are coming from either.

Like it or not, your opinions are not fact.

Last edited by springfieldva; 02-05-2010 at 09:47 AM..

Old 02-05-2010, 10:40 AM

3,842 posts, read 10,511,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Okay. I get it. Thanks for clarifying.

I think we're simply misunderstanding each other when we read one another's posts recently.

I took your post completely in a totally different direction in my mind---as if you thought organic food and excersise was a bad thing.

But I do understand what you're saying now. And I agree too!
Thanks.

From the standpoint of a parent of toddlers, my goal right now is to simply teach them that "appearance" is not an indicator of a good person/good family, etc.

Should I not allow my child to be friends w/ an overweight child b/c his/her parents were possibly irresponsible in how they feed their child? All other issues in that family may be 100% perfect minus they have made very poor food decisions. Would never do that to my children nor give the attitude in my family that is how it should be done.

Looking at people who are overweight & their children are overweight and so on is one piece of the puzzle. It is sad and it is frustrating at times, but guess what, there are things in my life that I pretty much stink at & another family may be great at & I don't need that family rubbing it in my face. It does NOTHING.

What is that David Bowie quote from Breakfast Club:
"And these children that you spit on as they try to change their worlds;
are immune to your consultations, they are quite aware of what they are
going through."

If many of us do not think that the majority (not all, but the majority) are not aware they have problems but are not at a place yet or just don't have the strength to fix them..that's ignorance. They do know.

Of course organic foods (most, again, not all) & exercising are the best options, Hopes. I have never denied that & am a huge advocate of exercising and being physically active.

I also know that while my kids may be the "perfect weight perfect height" doesn't mean they won't bully other kids, get on drugs, steal, become dads at 13....and that the parents who are in shape and work out and eat well..doesn't mean dad isn't an alcoholic and mom isn't having an affair.

Just never been a person who is impressed by appearances (common sense applies...I would not eat at a bug infested dirty looking restuarant) or felt the need to judge the parenting skills of those around me if they are of a different weight. One of my closest mommy friends is very much overweight, knows it, but has some of the most amazing skills and talents as a mom and her children are wonderful. I've learned so much from her. Had I snubbed her b/c she weighed more than she should and eats the wrong foods, I would have lost a wonderful person in my life. And some posters on here are very much giving off the attitude that their superior parenting skills of using carrots and celery means they are better than those who did not. Some need to work on character development over making sure their kids lips only touch apples and oranges.

Last edited by 121804; 02-05-2010 at 11:03 AM..

Old 02-05-2010, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
Well alright. Then I can't possibly understand where you are coming from, can I?

And, unless you have children of your own or a weight issue of your own, you have no idea where overweight people or their parents are coming from either.

Like it or not, your opinions are not fact.
How do you know I don't have both or am not very close to people who have both?

Again...the minority of people who fall in this situation do so without being at fault at all...that's not an opinion.

In the nature vs nurture battle of obesity, it's clearly been proven that nurture is the culprit 90% of the time.

Old 02-05-2010, 12:10 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,452,372 times
Quote:
In the nature vs nurture battle of obesity, it's clearly been proven that nurture is the culprit 90% of the time.
No one is arguing that but that in itself doesn't make one a "BAD PARENT"
Not to mention, can you tell just by looking at someone whether they are in the 90% or the 10%? Even if you think you can, is it really necessary? Worry about your own family. Worry about the food supply in general and how it's changed and the messages we are sending our kids. Worry when you hear schools are cutting PE and recess. Even better if you don't just worry but actively seek to change those things. Don't waste your time staring at the person you pass on the street whose child is overweight and making a judgement about what bad parents that child must have.

Last edited by maciesmom; 02-05-2010 at 12:53 PM..

Old 02-05-2010, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
No one is arguing that but that in itself doesn't make one a "BAD PARENT"
Not to mention, can you tell just by looking at someone whether they are in the 90% or the 10%? Even if you think you can, is it really necessary? Worry about your own family. Worry about the food supply in general and how it's changed and the messages we are sending our kids. Worry when you hear schools are cutting PE and recess. Even better if you don't just worry but actively seek to change those things. Don't waste your time staring at the person you pass on the street whose child is overweight and making a judgement about what bad parents that child must have.
This is a good point.
And walking around judging people is not a habit of mine.
But being permissive as a society and not holding people responsible for their choices (that wind up affecting all of us eventually - high cost of medical care, loss of workforce, bad examples for our own children, etc) - is not a great idea, either.

Old 02-05-2010, 03:24 PM

550 posts, read 1,214,754 times
I find it increadible how 121804 can first call me judgemental and a hypocrit, then come up with all sorts of rather unpleasant conclusions surrounding me as a person and my psychiatric health, then write the stuff about not wanting the "wife of Tiger Woods"-life or any relation with anyone like him, when really all we know about the Tiger Woods case is what media have told us. Thus judging alot more specific cases than the event that happpens a couple of times per hour in just about any open fastfood restraunt. On top of this Im not the only one to be accused by 121804 of being hypocritical or judgemental.

So... if keeping children away from serious obesity doesnt have anything to do with the quality of parenting...
What does good quality parenting include?(other than love to keep answers more constructive)

Old 02-05-2010, 08:12 PM

1,688 posts, read 4,298,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
This is a good point.
And walking around judging people is not a habit of mine.
But being permissive as a society and not holding people responsible for their choices (that wind up affecting all of us eventually - high cost of medical care, loss of workforce, bad examples for our own children, etc) - is not a great idea, either.

Old 02-05-2010, 08:14 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,413,299 times
fat parents = fat kids.
60% of americans are overweight.
they are-- they know-- they dont care.
its all part of a greater short term strategy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting