Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2010, 02:18 PM

43,854 posts, read 51,184,922 times

Advertisements

I'm glad when my kids were growing up that no one was really worrying about how fat any child was.....unless it was their own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2010, 07:01 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,678,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 121804 View Post
Finally, the picture that explains it all! Wow, was wondering who held the glass ball with all the answers! You won! Wippee!
So... You have fat kids, and you're feeling really defensive. Thanks for the confession.

Old 02-21-2010, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
I tend to agree. I was a kid in the 70s/80s and there were no morbidly obese kids around that I recall. Eating fast food was a rare Saturday afternoon treat while we were out shopping or something, and we never ate fast food for dinner. My high school had a salad bar, which is what I usually ate.

I've noticed that many fat kids have fat parents. I'm sure individual genetics plays a part, and you can find examples of thin parents with a fat kid, but I think overwhelmingly it's parents with poor eating habits passing those habits to their kids.
Right.

It's not like parents set out to make their kids fat. But it's most likely due to poor life habits.

My wife, for some reason, is the skinny child in a fat family. She's in her mid 40s, is 5'5" and weighs 125 lbs. Her dad is the same height and weighed (until he lost some weight recently) well over 300 lbs. Her brothers, and most of our nephews, are the same way. They all eat like pigs and get no exercise. And every single one of them talks about their bad metabolism & how they're just unlucky.

Morbidly obese kids are that way for a variety of reasons. But virtually none of those reasons are out of their parents' control.

Old 02-21-2010, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Never ever said that. Try reading. It's good for you.
I've been reading your excuses. And they're just that - excuses.

I'd suggest rolling your tubby little kid away from the trough, and taking him out for a walk.

Regardless of anything genetic, everybody can benefit from eating better food, in smaller quantities, and getting more exercise. Those facts are very simple, and they are undeniable.

Old 02-21-2010, 07:42 PM

58 posts, read 146,387 times
I feel badly for overweight children..I used to run a diet clinic and obese parents would sign their kids up for our program but not themselves.

They wanted their kids to lose weight without them (the parents) having to alter their habits or lifestyle.

It is a lifestyle change for the ENTIRE family and most kids were not successful unless the parents were willing to change.

Old 02-21-2010, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scchristi View Post
I feel badly for overweight children..I used to run a diet clinic and obese parents would sign their kids up for our program but not themselves.

They wanted their kids to lose weight without them (the parents) having to alter their habits or lifestyle.

It is a lifestyle change for the ENTIRE family and most kids were not successful unless the parents were willing to change.
That's it precisely.

It involves lifestyle. It involves habits.

Old 02-21-2010, 08:23 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,458,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
I've been reading your excuses. And they're just that - excuses.

I'd suggest rolling your tubby little kid away from the trough, and taking him out for a walk.

Regardless of anything genetic, everybody can benefit from eating better food, in smaller quantities, and getting more exercise. Those facts are very simple, and they are undeniable.

Nice....

As I mentioned, this is an issue which fortunately doesn't affect my own children....but I do get that you are not the type of person that can comprehend that a person could possibly be sympathetic to something they don't personally experience. Some people feel that their personal experience reflects (or should reflect) that of everyone else. That's OK....I'm sure there are people who look at you and see something they think is horrid too -and they could be wrong (or they could be right)....

Old 02-21-2010, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Nice....

As I mentioned, this is an issue which fortunately doesn't affect my own children....but I do get that you are not the type of person that can comprehend that a person could possibly be sympathetic to something they don't personally experience. Some people feel that their personal experience reflects (or should reflect) that of everyone else. That's OK....I'm sure there are people who look at you and see something they think is horrid too -and they could be wrong (or they could be right)....
None of my kids were fat. There were several reasons - reasons involving NOT eating all our meals at fast food joints, and NOT allowing our kids to spend 10-hours per day eating chips while playing video games.

Amazing how that works.

Old 05-24-2011, 09:08 PM

1 posts, read 1,320 times
why dont ya'll just work them like we do down here in the south. All me and my brothers are fit with six packs and are only in our teens and dont even do body building. We do sports and are active and work with our dad. We are all healthy and I cant even remember the last time one of us was sick. And about being picky, my father said set it in front of them and if they dont eat then go hungy, and we all healthy and eat what they surve us like fried chicken buiscuts and gravy and such foods that are high in fat. My dad dont even let us use riding mowers because he says their for wimps. Also our brains are well developed and I am in all honors classes and so are all my brothers. I spend all of my week ends out side at my farm shooting guns and fishing so i am rarly inside just snaking . So their is your solution a perfectly healthy and fit lifestyle.

Old 05-24-2011, 09:17 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by County boy View Post
why dont ya'll just work them like we do down here in the south. All me and my brothers are fit with six packs and are only in our teens and dont even do body building. We do sports and are active and work with our dad. We are all healthy and I cant even remember the last time one of us was sick. And about being picky, my father said set it in front of them and if they dont eat then go hungy, and we all healthy and eat what they surve us like fried chicken buiscuts and gravy and such foods that are high in fat. My dad dont even let us use riding mowers because he says their for wimps. Also our brains are well developed and I am in all honors classes and so are all my brothers. I spend all of my week ends out side at my farm shooting guns and fishing so i am rarly inside just snaking . So their is your solution a perfectly healthy and fit lifestyle.
our brains are well developed

Southern states are the fattest states.

%Obese

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting