Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2010, 04:20 PM

202 posts, read 484,465 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Probably because of this attitude:

Well maybe he has that attitude because this woman and her hubby are gushed over just for having more offspring than my next door neighbor's dog. With a TV program to boot.

Or could it be that he was called "evil" simply because he does not care about, or gush over, this brood mare named Duggar?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2010, 12:36 PM

4,040 posts, read 7,441,759 times
I have no opinion.

Old 02-08-2010, 01:03 PM

2,605 posts, read 4,692,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winecountry1 View Post
Well maybe he has that attitude because this woman and her hubby are gushed over just for having more offspring than my next door neighbor's dog. With a TV program to boot.

Or could it be that he was called "evil" simply because he does not care about, or gush over, this brood mare named Duggar?
Exactly. Thank you.

Old 02-08-2010, 01:06 PM

2,605 posts, read 4,692,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawflower View Post
As much as I disagree with their religious beliefs, I will say the parents have done a darn well job in raising their kids to put others before themselves. The world would be a much better place if there was more people who have hearts as big as theirs.
There are PLENTY of people who have huge, huge hearts certainly bigger than the Duggars'. They are everywhere.

Old 02-08-2010, 03:56 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,930,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoExcuses View Post
Because he's a Duggar, he's in the news. Most people who save someone else act bravely and never get on the news. I can't see anyone who has a small child laid at their feet just standing there and doing nothing to help. He did what anyone would do in those circumstances.
Well, no. He did what anyone who had been trained in emergency rescue or CPR would have done. Just "anyone" doesn't go to the effort to learn these skills and apply them.

Old 02-08-2010, 05:52 PM

3,842 posts, read 10,511,398 times
How many on this thread have recently completed CPR training or updated their training? How many know proper CPR for infants?

With some of these remarks, hope some never need the help of a stranger....as they say, karma is b.....

Old 02-08-2010, 06:23 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,721,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Well, no. He did what anyone who had been trained in emergency rescue or CPR would have done. Just "anyone" doesn't go to the effort to learn these skills and apply them.
Surely people who make fun of the Duggers for being CPR certified and able to actually help an accident victim (not just hold their hand til help comes) are CPR certified themselves??? There would be no excuse for making fun of them otherwise!

Old 02-08-2010, 09:38 PM

11,027 posts, read 6,506,057 times
This story appealed to me not just because it involved Duggars, who are always getting criticized at this board, but because I was pleased to discover they're both volunteering for a fire department. That earns my respect. My father is a firefighter and so is my future son-in-law, who is serving in the Air Force at Balad Air Force Base in Iraq right now. I'm just proud of the service these people give and wanted to share a nice positive story here, rather than contribute nothing but negative crap. There's more than enough of that around here already.

Old 02-08-2010, 09:45 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,721,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Cal Wahine View Post
This story appealed to me not just because it involved Duggars, who are always getting criticized at this board, but because I was pleased to discover they're both volunteering for a fire department. That earns my respect. My father is a firefighter and so is my future son-in-law, who is serving in the Air Force at Balad Air Force Base in Iraq right now. I'm just proud of the service these people give and wanted to share a nice positive story here, rather than contribute nothing but negative crap. There's more than enough of that around here already.
I agree. There is just NO EXCUSE for people being so negative about this family

Old 02-09-2010, 12:39 AM

10,624 posts, read 26,734,165 times
I don't understand the controversy here. Praising the action of the Duggar boys in no way takes away from the heroic efforts of the many other good people who are also out there saving lives each day (or who are prepared to do so). Should people who are famous NOT be appreciated just because of who they are? I'd certainly rather read about members of the Duggar family saving someone's life rather than reading about Mel Gibson or Paris Hilton driving drunk. If some celebrity power can remind people of the importance of getting CPR training (I admit, mine is out of date), for example, then all the more reason to highlight the story.

And from the Duggar-specific viewpoint, I agree that it's nice to know that they're volunteer fire fighters. I don't agree with many of their viewpoints on things, but I very much appreciate that they are active and contributing members of the community at large. That is worthy of respect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting