Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2010, 05:15 AM

2,422 posts, read 2,276,771 times

Advertisements

Kids should not be taken to a high end restaurant until they are old enough to understand. There are plenty of family restaurants around.

Old 02-10-2010, 05:16 AM

9,318 posts, read 16,651,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cletus Awreetus-Awrightus View Post
Classic rationalization.

No child is perfect all the time, therefore it is acceptable for me and my family to disturb and inconvenience others.

This reminds me of the people I encounter in the grocery store who almost bowl me over with their children in tow. Maybe instead of being gracious and polite and stepping out of their way to give them a wide berth, I should just walk right through them, like they do me. Oh, did I accidentally knock mommy down on the way to the produce section? I guess she should be more careful.
why don't we ban those elderly people too, who are blocking aisles and produce with their scooters and walkers, in "less than 15 items" line with 18 items, taking a long time paying because they are crippled with arthritis? Many in our society seem to lack not only tolerance, but patience too.

Old 02-10-2010, 05:18 AM

9,318 posts, read 16,651,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aveojohn View Post
Kids should not be taken to a high end restaurant until they are old enough to understand. There are plenty of family restaurants around.
And ban those self centered people who insist on disturbing my dinner speaking so loudly on their cell phones.

Old 02-10-2010, 05:30 AM

75 posts, read 92,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
why don't we ban those elderly people too, who are blocking aisles and produce with their scooters and walkers, in "less than 15 items" line with 18 items, taking a long time paying because they are crippled with arthritis? Many in our society seem to lack not only tolerance, but patience too.

Whatever happened to caring about others? When did society become so self enamored?

Old 02-10-2010, 05:38 AM

4,469 posts, read 7,190,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimalkinskeeper View Post
Sorry to burst the bubble but EVERYONE has equal right to go out to a restaurant including people with kids and their kids. If I don't like that, there are plenty of high end restaurants where I can have the atmosphers I want when I go out that I can go to. I find it really funny when people go out to family style restaurants and then complain when someone brings their family. What did you expect?

With rights come responsibilities. In the case of public places, Little Darling's right to act like a chimp on crack ends at the aisle, or at the back of the booth. And Darling Senior's responsibility to teach him how to behave does not include the phrases "she's just tired" or "boys will be boys"-- or telling other patrons to leave.

I went for coffee with a couple of other moms about a year ago. One brought her toddler, who proceeded to cruise the dining room and invade the breakfasts at a couple different tables. C's only response was "oh, look how social Arielle is! And at such a young age!"
I was mortified. We do not go for coffee anymore. EVER.

Old 02-10-2010, 06:56 AM

75 posts, read 92,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aconite View Post
With rights come responsibilities. In the case of public places, Little Darling's right to act like a chimp on crack ends at the aisle, or at the back of the booth. And Darling Senior's responsibility to teach him how to behave does not include the phrases "she's just tired" or "boys will be boys"-- or telling other patrons to leave.

I went for coffee with a couple of other moms about a year ago. One brought her toddler, who proceeded to cruise the dining room and invade the breakfasts at a couple different tables. C's only response was "oh, look how social Arielle is! And at such a young age!"
I was mortified. We do not go for coffee anymore. EVER.
None of us has the right to tell others how to behave in public beyond what is stated in the law. If you don't want to be bothered by the behavior of others, then stay home. Like it or not, you don't get to tell others how to live their lives or raise their kids. If you don't like it, stay away from places they go.

If you go out in public, you take the risk of seeing/hearing things you'd rather not. That is just reality. It's unreasonable to expect others to conform to your expectations and very self centered.

If I were in a restaurant where someone elses behavior was bothering me, I'd leave. Unless the other person is breaking the law, I can't make them leave. There are plenty of restaurants where people don't bring their kids and if I go there and someone does and it's a problem, I'm asking the manager to move me to another area of the restaurant.

One of our favorite restaurants (we only go there a couple of times a year) is about $100 a plate. I have yet to see a child there. Now if I go to Denny's or Applebee's, I expect to see kids. I expect it to be noisy. I expect that I might see/hear things I'd rather not. However, I don't make the rules so I have to live with it.

You are correct to not go out to coffee with a friend whose children's behavior offends you. Avoiding the situation solves a host of problems.

Old 02-10-2010, 07:08 AM

1,047 posts, read 3,987,738 times
I think some parents are just plain LAZY! It takes a lot of time and effort to teach a child how to behave in public, whether it's a restaurant, store, in an airplane or wherever.It is not relaxing to take your children to dinner.You may have to constantly remind them of what they may or may not do. When we had to fly with our young children, it was constant WORK the entire time on the plane to keep the kid entertained,read to them, draw with them, feed them, play a quiet game, divert their attention with a story if they wanted to run in the aisle.As a consideration to all the other passengers,it was our JOB to do our best to not disrupt their time on the airplane with our children's behavior!Some people either do not understand this or they just plain do not give a darn and think that they and their kids are entitled to act in any way they please and it is nobody elses business! These are the children who grow up thinking the world owes them something simply because they exist.
Do your kids, and the public a favor, teach them manners,teach them respect for other people, teach them to behave in a curtious way toward all.

Old 02-10-2010, 07:14 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,438,370 times
Well behaved families? Kids learning manners? It is one thing to have a child wound up or not 100 percent "perfect". I don't think that is what people find annoying. We've all been there. It's the parents not handling it that is annoying. Telling little Susie reseatedly to be nice and sit down, is not handling it or teaching her anything other than mom/dad will continue to nag you to behave, even in public. If you don't feel like it, just ignore them and do as you please, because there are not consequences. If your child is not up to restaurant behavior that day, then don't take them. If it doesn't become apparent until you are there, then at the very least, take the child out of the situation as others have suggested.

Old 02-10-2010, 07:28 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,891,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L.K. View Post
I think some parents are just plain LAZY! It takes a lot of time and effort to teach a child how to behave in public, whether it's a restaurant, store, in an airplane or wherever.It is not relaxing to take your children to dinner.You may have to constantly remind them of what they may or may not do. When we had to fly with our young children, it was constant WORK the entire time on the plane to keep the kid entertained,read to them, draw with them, feed them, play a quiet game, divert their attention with a story if they wanted to run in the aisle.As a consideration to all the other passengers,it was our JOB to do our best to not disrupt their time on the airplane with our children's behavior!Some people either do not understand this or they just plain do not give a darn and think that they and their kids are entitled to act in any way they please and it is nobody elses business! These are the children who grow up thinking the world owes them something simply because they exist.
Do your kids, and the public a favor, teach them manners,teach them respect for other people, teach them to behave in a curtious way toward all.
The best thing about this approach is that when you do put in the effort you see results. When our kids were small they were as imperfect as everyone else's children. However, if they acted in an inappropriate manner, we left the scene with them, calmed them down and explained WHAT we were doing, WHY we were doing it, and HOW we expected the kids to act.

Once they caught on to the idea that eating in a restaurant is a "big boy" treat and you have to act like a big boy if you want to stay, they learned and we did not continue to have behavior problems in public places.

We did take our kids out when they were small. We also ate many meals from take out boxes if we had to do that. However, by the time the kids were about 4 they could behave in any restaurant because they had been taught to do so.

No 2 or 3 year old is going to behave perfectly every time their parents take them out. The trick is to teach them how to behave so that they can truly be a pleasure to be with when they are a little older.

Old 02-10-2010, 07:29 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,316,443 times
Yah. I don't think anyone really blames the kids. It's the parents who need to be in control.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.