Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2010, 05:12 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,164,079 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niceguy89 View Post
The difference between a lutheran and a catholic church isn't that different from what I can remember... still some guy(or girl in the lutheran church) talking about god, jesus and all sorts of stuff...
I've been Lutheran all my life and we've never turned people away! There is a different synod than mine that only lets Lutherans of that synod take communion, but it isn't like you couldn't go and watch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2010, 05:26 PM

550 posts, read 1,214,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
I've been Lutheran all my life and we've never turned people away! There is a different synod than mine that only lets Lutherans of that synod take communion, but it isn't like you couldn't go and watch.
Yeha but still catholic church and lutheran church are still basicly the same, you believe in god, celebrate the birth of jesus, follow the 10 commandments etc etc
to get to heaven and live happily ever after with your loved ones who hopefully also get there... (would suck to be the only one to make it to heaven because all your friends were unrighteus atheists like me, wouldn't it?)

Old 02-06-2010, 05:29 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,297,575 times
Quote:
you could still go!
Not to watch my own Grandkids.

Old 02-06-2010, 05:47 PM

4,164 posts, read 6,314,426 times
Thanks for your posts and stories too...I hardly ever talk about my religious background or my experieces with my parents concerning religion anymore...It's all become part of my distant past until now....My parents have been gone for quite awhile and I am getting up in years myself....Good to unlock some of the old memories once in awhile. Don't you think? I've spent decades trying to understand my parents better and I'm glad....I am grateful that I was their daughter and I feel very proud of both of my parents....despite the rocky times. The good always outweighed the bad.

Old 02-06-2010, 06:34 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,164,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Not to watch my own Grandkids.
Lutheran's have first communion too.

Old 02-06-2010, 09:05 PM

917 posts, read 2,947,925 times
My parents are both ordained Christian ministers (although my dad is no longer active) and I am in the process of converting to Judaism. I knew from a young age that I did not connect to their faith in the way that they did, and I stopped practicing everything when I went to college. I've been dating a Jewish man for several years now, and after spending time with his family, going to synagogue and celebrating the holidays, I've found that Judaism makes sense to me in a way Christianity never did. My mother had an incredibly hard time with this because her faith is the core of her personal and professional life. We actually didn't speak for a while because she had such a hard time with my decision. I know she still disapproves, but she's decided that having a relationship with me is more important than preaching at me. She's starting to rationalize it now that she understands that it's all the same God.

Old 02-06-2010, 09:24 PM

5,747 posts, read 12,051,162 times
Quote:
Lutherans have first communion too.
You beat me to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niceguy89 View Post
The difference between a Lutheran and a Catholic church isn't that different from what I can remember... still some guy(or girl in the Lutheran church) talking about god, jesus and all sorts of stuff...
There are some major theological differences that wouldn't be appropriate to discuss here, but the celebration of First Communion isn't one of them.

Last edited by formercalifornian; 02-06-2010 at 09:35 PM..

Old 02-07-2010, 12:06 AM

2,579 posts, read 2,451,488 times
My children, especially my daughter (13) are not at all convinced by our Christian believes and our practice of going to church on Sunday and our involvement in the Church.
What worries me of all this is that if they stop belonging to a Christian community they may stop feeding their inner life and spirituality turning in little egocentric consummeristic, superficial human beings.

I know many people who may not believe in what I believe, who may also be atheist but that nevertheless think about spirituality, search for a deeper meaning in life, reflect about certain values, are critical towards the mainstream values of our consummeristic society, have compassion, feed somehow their inner life and all I wish for my children is that they can do that too even if in the end they stop going to church.

Old 02-07-2010, 12:50 AM

8,762 posts, read 11,571,721 times
My mom was about to cry when I told her I am an Atheist. My dad told her I was just going through a phase. I am 21.

Old 02-07-2010, 05:22 AM

3,269 posts, read 9,934,103 times
Why would you attach your identity to any particular religion or philosophy, such as by saying “I am a Christian” or “I am a Buddhist?” This forces your mind into a fixed perspective, robbing you of spiritual depth perception and savagely curtailing your ability to perceive reality accurately.

When you subscribe to a set religion, you enroll in a mindless minion training program. Religions don’t market themselves as such, but this is essentially how they operate. Religions are very effective at turning human beings into sheep. They’re among the most powerful instruments of social conditioning.

If you want to talk to God, then communicate directly instead of using third-party intermediaries. Surely God has no need of an interpreter. Don’t fall into the trap of becoming a mindless minion. It’s a mistake to think that turning off your neocortex and practicing mindless “faith” will bring you closer to God.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting