Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2010, 11:11 AM

4,164 posts, read 6,316,466 times

Advertisements

It starts right at birth. Pink for girls...Blue for boys....Barbie dolls and play kitchen sets for girls....Toy cars and trucks for boys....Heaven forbid if someone wraps their boy baby in a pink blanket....Is all of this programming really necessary or needed? Is it really healthy? I grew up as an only child....My parents gave me toy cars and trucks and train sets even tho I was a girl. My Dad taught me how to make repairs on our family car and how to fix plumbing in our house...He played ball with me....All of this helped me to become more well-rounded.....How do you feel about gender stereotyping and programming? Thanks...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2010, 11:19 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,241,172 times
Girls are made from sugar and spice and everything nice..

Boys are made from puppy dog tails and and dead frogs and everything bad...

Old 02-07-2010, 11:21 AM

7,727 posts, read 12,622,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
Girls are made from sugar and spice and everything nice..

Boys are made from puppy dog tails and and dead frogs and everything bad...
So immature...

Old 02-07-2010, 11:58 AM

4,164 posts, read 6,316,466 times
As for boys...I think men who know how to cook and clean are more in demand today when it comes to choosing a husband. Don't you? This is what I always told my sons....On a lighter note...It's good that men feel free to wear pink shirts and ties these days....This is progress.

Old 02-07-2010, 11:59 AM

4,897 posts, read 18,491,759 times
listen, i am all for not "programming" kids into stereotypes, but i tried using neutral colors on my son--since i didnt know what i was having, and after about a week, yellow and mint just looked all wrong on him!
he plays with whatever. i am sure that in preschool, he holds the dolls and baby carriage or what have you. i dont tell him he can't. but he is just more interested in the "boy" stuff. we sometimes go to the store and he wants to try the bikes. he wants to try the pink ones as well as the "boy" ones. i let him do it.
even if you never dress your baby in pink or blue, and just use primary colors, they are BORN with a personality. the girls will inevitably go for the pink and purple stuff and the boys for the blue and green.

Old 02-07-2010, 12:04 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,909,503 times
I think the issue with babies is that they all look alike so the colors you dress them in let everyone know whether they are boy babies or girl babies. As far as toys, kids will play with all sorts of toys. My boys would play with dolls if they were at a girl's house but they never asked for dolls (they did have a kitchen though). And the girls would play with whatever we had at home when they visited us. But kids ask parents to buy what they like at a very young age.

My boys always had very masculine personalities. I did not have to do anything to develop them.

Old 02-07-2010, 12:34 PM

3,004 posts, read 3,886,286 times
Forget about the economy, unemployment, and the recession. Forget about global warming, lack of health care, earthquakes, war, death and destruction!!! What's really, REALLY upsetting, is gender stereotyping in the nursery color scheme!

Maybe as our genes get further screwed up by environmental assaults, everyone will be born a hermaphrodite and then the babies can all be dressed in purple (you know, a cross of blue and red). End of argument.

Old 02-07-2010, 12:37 PM

8,652 posts, read 17,241,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
So immature...
I know....LOL...I'm going through my second childhood..(:-)

Old 02-07-2010, 12:42 PM

4,469 posts, read 7,195,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by findinghope View Post
even if you never dress your baby in pink or blue, and just use primary colors, they are BORN with a personality. the girls will inevitably go for the pink and purple stuff and the boys for the blue and green.
Apparently someone forgot to tell two of my daughters this rule.

Old 02-07-2010, 12:48 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,171,415 times
My boys naturally gravitated toward boy toys and boy TV. Now if we go to a girls house or church nursery, the older one goes for the toy kitchen. I'm guessing because it is something we don't have at home. He also asked for a dollhouse for Christmas, which I got for him. Why wouldn't a boy like arranging doll furniture just as much as a girl? AFA wrapping a baby boy in a pink blanket, babies are hard enough to tell apart. why add to the confusion by using the "wrong" color blanket?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting